Failed Step 3 many times, now out of attempts, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

draker80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as the title of the thread says, this is the worst feeling in my life so far.
I was a resident in my final year in Preventive Medicine, I have attempted to take this cursed exam before I started my residency and failed it, now my attempt number reached 4 failed ones (last one was 196) which I didn't know they lowered it from 6 to 4 until I tried to register for another one. I tried calling the USMLE and NBME and FSMB, basically they all said tough luck, nothing they can do. I was months away from my graduation and now I am out.
I can really use any ideas or feedback, of course on my final attempt I studied Uwourld entirely, plus FA step 3 and 2, also did some UWorld step 2 Qbanks. and did a month in an online course for step 3.
I know I am not that dumb but the level of stress and frustration I am in now is indescribable. looking for ideas where to go from here and what to do.
I kinda know I am F**ked but trying to get my thoughts together.
thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

So looking through your post history you are an IMG with a 200/205 step 1/2 and graduated in 2004? I think it’s time to move on from practicing medicine and maybe try something like consulting / working for a pharmaceutical company

Become an NP. I've seen many who did that. One was OBGYN in her country now a derm NP here

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, as the title of the thread says, this is the worst feeling in my life so far.
I was a resident in my final year in Preventive Medicine, I have attempted to take this cursed exam before I started my residency and failed it, now my attempt number reached 4 failed ones (last one was 196) which I didn't know they lowered it from 6 to 4 until I tried to register for another one. I tried calling the USMLE and NBME and FSMB, basically they all said tough luck, nothing they can do. I was months away from my graduation and now I am out.
I can really use any ideas or feedback, of course on my final attempt I studied Uwourld entirely, plus FA step 3 and 2, also did some UWorld step 2 Qbanks. and did a month in an online course for step 3.
I know I am not that dumb but the level of stress and frustration I am in now is indescribable. looking for ideas where to go from here and what to do.
I kinda know I am F**ked but trying to get my thoughts together.
thank you all.
Hi do you mind sharing what has happened since you last posted? I am in the same position

Hi do you mind sharing what has happened since you last posted? I am in the same position
Hey there. So sorry you had to go through this. I’m now with MPH and working in PH informatics. Really nice but doesn’t pay well tbh. Good luck with your situation.

Reactions: 1 user