Coursework & Fieldwork Failed out of OT school...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GradStudentOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was dismissed from an OT graduate program due to failure of a level one fieldwork rotation. I was just wondering if there is anyone on here who has been in the same situation. If so, what did you end up doing? Are there any options for transferring OT school credits into other types of graduate programs? Also, is there any way that a couple of semesters of OT school could lead lead to some kind of a related job? I am guessing that the chances of my getting into another OT program would be extremely slim, but I am interested in possibly someday working with individuals who have autism. Right now, I am interested in getting any kind of job that will help me to pay back OT school loans. This is proving to be kind of difficult with my liberal arts bachelors degree, so I would welcome any situations that anyone on here may have regarding possible options for someone who has failed out of OT school.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only tell you what I have heard about a few people who were dismissed from OT Programs at different phases and none of them include being able to transfer units to another OT program or other graduate program because each is distinct and specific. One person was in a 5 year BS/MS program and ended up earning the BS but because they did not maintain a 3.0 GPA could not move on to the graduate portion, that person left OT (for now) and became a research assistant at a Biotech company. Another person in the same situation as the last one is trying to earn admission at a different OT program (that is easier to get into) and is just going to start over if they manage to get in. A third person failed out of the program after they earned their Bachelors and became an OT Aide (not a COTA) for a while and then became a Day Program Manager at a Day center. So there are related jobs you can get into. I mean are you still trying to do OT or are you just looking for any job? If I were just looking for a job in the meantime I would test for city/government jobs, they seem to pay well for what a lot of the people actually do and their education level.

GradStudentOT - Would you ever consider reapplying to the program you were recently dismissed from? That could be an option.

Hearing all of these stories really frightens me. It is clear to me now exactly how hard my program tried to work with me and just how much I sabotaged the opportunity.

I really do want to be an OT and this experience has only motivated me further in this pursuit. I am determined to find another way in. Somehow.

I understand that your situation is a lot different and that you were much further into your program at the time of your dismissal.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was dismissed from my program after failing FW 2. I completed two years of the program and kicked out for failing one placement. I had good grades and good FW 1 evaluation. I am also trying to figure out what to do now. The professors at my program were not helpful at all during this process. They wouldn't have a meeting with me and after dismissing me they haven't contacted me at all. They just mailed a letter, it wasn't even sealed!

Thanks for the replies! I hate to hear stories of other people having gone through the same things that I went through, but at least it is a bit comforting to know that those of us who have been dismissed from OT programs are all sort of in the same boat. Did those of you who were dismissed try to appeal the decision? I was wondering if appealing a dismissal ever really works when it comes to failed fieldwork situations.

FutureOT: I would like to complete a masters degree eventually, but I am currently looking for a job to pay off the loans from this failed OT school attempt. That will take a while since the program I attended was very costly. I am looking for any kind of job right now. It doesn't matter whether it is completely unrelated to OT as long as it comes with a paycheck that I can use to help reduce my current student debt.

OTtoBe: I would consider reapplying to the program I attended, but realistically I don't think that will ever happen. For one thing, I could not afford to go through even two semesters of the program again. It was costly, and the financial risk of possibly failing out again after a couple of semesters would be too high. Also, I seriously doubt that I would be accepted in the same program if I reapplied. They are highly selective and they take pride in having a high student completion rate. Their interests do not lie in giving students second chances but in selecting students who will be able to complete the program the first time around and make the program look good. If you don't mind my asking, which program did you attend that possibly believed in giving students second chances? The director of my program told me that they have never once accepted a transfer student since the program was founded, so my hopes of getting in again would be slim to none.

Hafsarah: Wow, that is terrible that they would not even meet with you about the failed fieldwork. At least my program directors met with me before and after making the decision to kick me out of the program. Hopefully you will be given a second chance to do level II fieldwork since you were so close to the end.

My failed rotation was the first level I(lasted for four days), and I honestly don't know what I could have done differently to have gotten a better grade. It was a pediatrics rotation, and I helped out as much as I could with the kids, designed what I thought were decent interventions, wrote what everyone but my CI said was a good evaluation, and according to everyone but my CI, I did a good job at giving standardized evaluations. It was almost like my CI had made up her mind to fail me before I ever set foot into the clinic, and she was going to do it no matter how well I performed or how hard I worked to please her. If all CIs are like this one was, I have no idea how anyone passes level I rotations, much less level II.

Gradstudentot-I do not want to say the name of the program but it was an entry level OTD program on the west coast. Unfortunately I do not think that they accept transfer students from other programs. You would be amazed at how much they tried to work with me. All but one of the faculty members (who happened to be my adviser which was just bad luck) were really nice to me. I just sabotaged it and I deserved my dismissal - plain and simple. There was not an appeal.