Failed COMLEX Level 1 twice, considered for Dismissal soon - options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintypons

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m seeking some advice because I am trying to be as prepared as possible for what lies ahead.

I am an MS3 in a DO school and currently on a Leave of Absence that was used to retake my COMLEX Level 1 exam. In Years 1 and 2, I had a GPA of around 2.67, but I did not have to remediate any courses. The biggest struggle for me was just passing the boards. I have failed the COMLEX Level 1 twice (first attempt 317, second attempt 390) and had only completed my Pediatrics rotation in Year 3 before I took my LOA. I failed the shelf for peds with a 79, but I retook it again later and got an average score (around 97).

Between my first and second attempt at the COMLEX, I did a boards preparation course. I also did UWorld and COMQUEST, went through Sketchy Micro and Pharm, and even hired a tutor for a session or two (mostly just to help me build a study schedule). These seemed to help a lot, but it wasn’t enough to help me pass.

The policy at my DO school is that I can only take the Level 1 exam twice and then I will be recommended for dismissal. The meeting to discuss that action hasn’t happened yet, but it will in the next week. If I do get dismissed, I am allowed to appeal.

If I end up getting dismissed and my appeal gets turned down, what are my options? Would it be to my advantage to try and withdraw ahead of the dismissal? Also, what are the chances I will be able to reapply to my medical school or a different one (U.S. or international)? I don’t mind reapplying somewhere and retaking years 1 and 2 if that’s what it takes.

I really appreciate the input!

P.S. I should note that I have an interest in FM.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but if you get dismissed or if you end up withdrawing, my advice is for you to move on from medicine and find something else that you like. No school in the US will accept you with your record, and even if you go to an international school, you're only going to build up more student loans just for an abysmal chance at ever getting a residency spot and ever practicing. This is a hard decision, trust me I know, but it's one you must make at this point.

Reactions: 12 users
Sorry you are going through this. I agree that I think it would be best to move on from medicine. If you were to somehow get reinstated or accepted at a different school, you will be accruing hundreds of thousands of more dollars in debt. With multiple board failures your chances in the match at any specialty will be pretty slim. Unless I had a wealthy family bankrolling these years that chance is well above my risk threshold.

I’d get out now. There is so much more to life than medicine, do some soul searching and find something else that makes you happy. These are extremely hard circumstances but in the grand scheme of things it will just seem like a bump in the road of a rich full life

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you get dismissed but want to stay in healthcare, a solid option would be to become an RN, with the eventual goal of becoming an NP. Podiatry would be a possibility, too, if that’s an avenue that you’d consider. If you’re interested in healthcare administration or policy, you can consider an MPH. Going to an offshore medical school after two board failures and an academic dismissal would likely end in disaster.

Regardless of what the school’s committee decides, I hope you know that your value as a person isn’t tied to whether or not you can successfully finish medical school. Practicing medicine is just a job; it’s not a magic path toward complete fulfillment and meaningfulness in life. Please know that you are capable of being happy on another professional path, and that much of what makes life enjoyable takes place outside of work and school.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 20 users
If you do get dismissed do NOT go international, I repeat DO NOT go international. USMLE is a much different and harder beast than the COMLEX. And the USMLE going Pass/Fail isn't going to make it easier for you to pass.

Honestly, I would wait for the dismissal and I would appeal it with a solid study plan for round 3. If you withdraw you'll still never get accepted to another DO school; you're more likely to be able to appeal the dismissal and pass COMLEX than you are to rematriculate to DO school.

And, as above, DO NOT try and get into a different school where you have to take the USMLE. I haven't looked at the actual stats since 2013 when I was taking the USMLE and COMLEX but at least back then DO students were more likely to fail the USMLE than the COMLEX.

Reactions: 4 users
If you get dismissed but want to stay in healthcare, a solid option would be to become an RN, with the eventual goal of becoming an NP. Podiatry would be a possibility, too, if that’s an avenue that you’d consider.

Podiatry will not be an option for OP if they are getting dismissed; no professional school will interview them. After failing the comlex 2x and having a 2.67 GPA in DO school, OP will not make it out of the Podiatry school. Podiatry schools are not medical school light, and as I say in the pod forum, yeah, it is easier to get in a pod program (vs. md/do), but making out from it is a different story.

I agree for plan B for OP and RN school is the best choice, unless they want to get away from medicine altogether. Also, OP, don't go Carrib, you won't make it there, but the debt will only increase. Good luck!

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Podiatry will not be an option for OP if they are getting dismissed; no professional school will interview them. After failing the comlex 2x and having a 2.67 GPA in DO school, OP will not make it out of the Podiatry school. Podiatry schools are not medical school light, and as I say in the pod forum, yeah, it is easier to get in a pod program (vs. md/do), but making out from it is a different story.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Admission cycle data show that podiatry schools struggle to fill their seats. OP likely has a >500 MCAT score, so there’s no question in my mind that he/she would get interviews at at least a couple of podiatry school if he/she were to apply broadly. Also, the podiatry board exams are easier than the COMLEX and USMLE, and a 2.67 GPA at a podiatry school wouldn’t prevent somebody from graduating.

Reactions: 7 users
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Admission cycle data show that podiatry schools struggle to fill their seats. OP likely has a >500 MCAT score, so there’s no question in my mind that he/she would get interviews at at least a couple of podiatry school if he/she were to apply broadly. Also, the podiatry board exams are easier than the COMLEX and USMLE, and a 2.67 GPA at a podiatry school wouldn’t prevent somebody from graduating.

It's not about filling a seat or undergrad stats; it's about falling out from one program and applying to another. It won't happen.

As far as Podiatry schools' applications, there is an increase in applicants applying and getting accepted in the last 2 cycles.
There is another Podiatry school opening in Tx (we don't need it, but it's $$$ so...). I will post a few stats later in the year in the Pod forum about this current Pod cycle; come check it out if you are interested.

I will stop my derailment here. :cool:

You should come up with a plan to present during the meeting. Address why you think you failed, and have a plan to improve. How long is your LOA? One idea is to petition to extend your LOA until the end of the semester. If granted, you'll have time to look through your question banks stats and see what areas you're falling short in. Get Boards and Beyond and sketchy micro/pharm and build your knowledge in those areas. Use ANKI for sketchy. Read the Savarese book, and continue to do questions. OMM will be your friend and you should know it for the points boost. This leave will give you time to prepare and to consider your options without having to pay tuition. When you successfully pass Level 1 on the 3rd try, you need to start your planning for level 2 and have a plan for residency. It will be crucial to look up places that SOAP'd, network, and to apply very broadly. FM can be a very forgiving field, but you need to apply smart, and address in your personal statement why you failed. At that point, your goal is to just match. You're so close to passing, but you have to be realistic that if you don't pass it this next time, it's time for plan B.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, I’m seeking some advice because I am trying to be as prepared as possible for what lies ahead.

I am an MS3 in a DO school and currently on a Leave of Absence that was used to retake my COMLEX Level 1 exam. In Years 1 and 2, I had a GPA of around 2.67, but I did not have to remediate any courses. The biggest struggle for me was just passing the boards. I have failed the COMLEX Level 1 twice (first attempt 317, second attempt 390) and had only completed my Pediatrics rotation in Year 3 before I took my LOA. I failed the shelf for peds with a 79, but I retook it again later and got an average score (around 97).

Between my first and second attempt at the COMLEX, I did a boards preparation course. I also did UWorld and COMQUEST, went through Sketchy Micro and Pharm, and even hired a tutor for a session or two (mostly just to help me build a study schedule). These seemed to help a lot, but it wasn’t enough to help me pass.

The policy at my DO school is that I can only take the Level 1 exam twice and then I will be recommended for dismissal. The meeting to discuss that action hasn’t happened yet, but it will in the next week. If I do get dismissed, I am allowed to appeal.

If I end up getting dismissed and my appeal gets turned down, what are my options? Would it be to my advantage to try and withdraw ahead of the dismissal? Also, what are the chances I will be able to reapply to my medical school or a different one (U.S. or international)? I don’t mind reapplying somewhere and retaking years 1 and 2 if that’s what it takes.

I see potential (you've passed things- MCAT, Peds Shelf). As long as your wellness it intact, I encourage you to keep pushing until the policy itself shuts you down (see bottom). Since you're asking about alternative paths though, it really depends on what you want out of your next 30-40 years of life. If this happened to me personally, I am not exclusively passionate about healthcare service to the extent that I would start from square one and do PCNA work to become a nurse, and then work my way back up to just maintain some semblance of clinical decision making. If anything, that would make me resent my interaction with physicians even more knowing I had almost made it in that space and wouldn't be able to suppress that.

It's really a big decision to give up now. Imagine yourself a few years back after taking the MCAT and hypothetically getting a letter saying you failed the exam and were barred from the medical profession. What would you pursue then? The first step is to find something immediate that pays the bills. The logical choice would starting off as some sort of science teacher/tutor because that's the most practical core competency you have that's immediately marketable. You don't have to put up signs either as tutoring services looking to hire already exist. From there, you need to start by assessing your strengths and passions. If you really want to be delivering health care and don't care about your role, than nursing may be a good route. If you think you may have some good ideas to improve other people's lives and can gather up the capital to take some risks, consider entrepreneur as an option. You could also go back and try other professional careers like law/engineering or even healthcare fields like Podiatry/Dentistry if you're motivated and feel the need to seek high level employment/compensation. Be warned that you're probably getting yourself into a lot of debt so you'd have to feel strongly about it.

See...it's really going back to square one which is why I say make sure you give it your all before you sever ties.
---
If there's an option to appeal, take it. Your success will depend on what the appeal's intended to do. If it's more of a check to ensure the school's following it's own procedures then it won't change things because there's nothing to really deny... but if it's an opportunity to review your viability as a physician on an individual basis, I can see a situation where you come out with it with a final chance to pass the boards. You would have to convince whoever's in charge that you're trending in the right direction. From there, family medicine/occupational medicine vs. a non-clinical career would both be viable options for you. Even without board certification but an M.D. degree and licensure, there are limited but some partially clinical opportunities available.

Everyone has to make do with their situation. This is yours now. Make something happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I dont understand why schools dont give a third chance at passing. I understand that they shouldn't just let you take it as many times as you want, but come on even at a third attempt pass you can still match FM and not ruin the persons chance at becoming a doctor.

• Dislike
I dont understand why schools dont give a third chance at passing. I understand that they shouldn't just let you take it as many times as you want, but come on even at a third attempt pass you can still match FM and not ruin the persons chance at becoming a doctor.

I personally think every dismissal (in the absence of egregious stuff like cheating) goes both ways. The student holds the majority of the accountability for not meeting the goals as these exams are not extremely difficult, but the school has some for unsuccessful remediation and theoretically admitting the candidate in the first place. The support systems provided by schools in these cases are laughable and consist of nonspecific staff who do not know the subject material because there's no incentive for physicians to get involved in this when clinical RVUs compensate so much more.

That said, I think two chances per board exam +/- holistic appeal is not an unreasonable standard. Even in this case it's correlating with OPs overall performance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think every dismissal (in the absence of egregious stuff like cheating) goes both ways. The student holds the majority of the accountability for not meeting the goals as these exams are not extremely difficult, but the school has some for unsuccessful remediation and theoretically admitting the candidate in the first place. The support systems provided by schools in these cases are laughable and consist of nonspecific staff who do not know the subject material because there's no incentive for physicians to get involved in this when clinical RVUs compensate so much more.

That said, I think two chances per board exam is not an unreasonable standard. Even in this case it's predictive as OP has had overall poor/borderline performance.
I've seen videos of people who have passed on the third attempt, though albeit extremely rare. Even if only one person passes yearly out of those that take it 3 times, I believe it's worth it. It doesn't hurt the school because the student that doesn't pass it a third time is going to be dismissed just as if they would be dismissed if they only had two chances. Schools that give an LOA for retakes should make you schedule the exams in a way that allows you to take them 3 times total.

Edit: Plenty of schools give out LOA/extra year for research years, I don't understand why giving one out for board prep/passing isn't worth it. The school gets tuition and, as long as the student is aware of their future outcome and are ready to apply to 150 FM programs, then they should have that option. I'm not trying to blame the school, I'm just saying at that point in the journey why limit their chances so unnecessarily

Last edited:
I've seen videos of people who have passed on the third attempt, though albeit extremely rare. Even if only one person passes yearly out of those that take it 3 times, I believe it's worth it. It doesn't hurt the school because the student that doesn't pass it a third time is going to be dismissed just as if they would be dismissed if they only had two chances. Schools that give an LOA for retakes should make you schedule the exams in a way that allows you to take them 3 times total.

Edit: Plenty of schools give out LOA/extra year for research years, I don't understand why giving one out for board prep/passing isn't worth it. The school gets tuition and, as long as the student is aware of their future outcome and are ready to apply to 150 FM programs, then they should have that option. I'm not trying to blame the school, I'm just saying at that point in the journey why limit their chances so drastically
Fair points. If you've seen it, chances are it isn't rare either.

The only outside the box idea I can think of: There's an FM reciprocity agreement if you're a FM doc in UK, Canada, Australia. Out of these, UK is the most friendly to letting foreign students staying back and doing their residency there, followed by Australia. It's still competitive to get into these med schools and I don't know the logistics behind the reciprocity whether or not if you have to take the steps

Canada might be the hardest one for OP. There is reciprocity but the chances of a US student gaining admission to a Canadian school are almost zero. Many Canadians take 2-3 tries to get admitted, and the standards are usually higher than US MD schools simply because they're Out of Province GPA requirements are higher. IIRC there are a few schools with minimum 3.3 gpa, but most are minimum 3.7, with averages being ~3.8x.

Because COIMLEX is an assessment of competency and the OP has yet to display minimal competence, much less any sort of mastery. The Level I failures do not bode well for Level II either, or shelf exams in the clinical years. Might as well save the OP two more years of tuition because the risk of him/her never being a doctor is very real, even with a 3x try at COMLEX.

This isn't the argument from authority here...it's the argument from bitter experience, having seen the human wreckage that happens in cases like this.

Reactions: 11 users
Because COIMLEX is an assessment of competency and the OP has yet to display minimal competence, much less any sort of mastery. The Level I failures do not bode well for Level II either, or shelf exams in the clinical years. Might as well save the OP two more years of tuition because the risk of him/her never being a doctor is very real, even with a 3x try at COMLEX.

This isn't the argument from authority here...it's the argument from bitter experience, having seen the human wreckage that happens in cases like this.
It happens and people still become doctors after many failures before.

• Wow
  • Hmm
just a silly premed here...but is it really possible to take 4 attempts to pass Step 3?

just a silly premed here...but is it really possible to take 4 attempts to pass Step 3?

Iirc there's a limit but i don't remember what since a 1st time failure is devastating enough much less 2nd time. Also Step 3 is taken in residency usually, and failing that once screws up a lot of things with training/scheduling.

What the... how is that possible? I thought most states only allow a maximum number of 3-4? combined failures in order to get your license?

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of states it's x attempts at each step. It's actually more lax for COMLEX where more states allow for unlimited attempts.
Damnn I did not know this.. at my school iirc it’s 3 failed comlex and your out.. but for level 3/step3 it might be different based on residency.. but I still can’t believe that person wasn’t dismissed from residency after 3 failed attempts... level 3/step 3 has like a 98% first time pass rate..

Damnn I did not know this.. at my school iirc it’s 3 failed comlex and your out.. but for level 3/step3 it might be different based on residency.. but I still can’t believe that person wasn’t dismissed from residency after 3 failed attempts... level 3/step 3 has like a 98% first time pass rate..
I imagine if the program only has 2-3 residents, giving one of them time to retake step 3 is a lot better than having one fewer resident to share the workload.

Do you know why you failed? Was it not understanding the material? Not enough questions? You need to commit to a solid study plan. I have known people who failed comlex 1 several times and then increased their scores by 100 points just by re-reading first aid and really nailing down micro and OMM, and doing the q-banks over and over until they really understand the comlex exam and what it’s asking. You can pass it, but you really need to assess where your weak areas but also study the high-yield areas.

These are the limits from the testing boards. They were 6/test, now moving to 4/test. (As an aside, this is kinda funny to see yet another thing the USMLE does and then NBOME copies).

• Haha
OP, what was your MCAT? I'm just making assumptions here but DO/PhD typically requires a higher than median DO mcat/gpa which would mean you're a good test taker.
I had an MCAT score of 501. I am pretty good at keeping a study schedule, but I am not the best test taker.

What the... how is that possible? I thought most states only allow a maximum number of 3-4? combined failures in order to get your license?
You can petition the state medical board. I know someone in New Jersey, who’s PD had to write a special letter for a PGY-2 who failed USMLE Step 3 like 4 times in order to be given permission to sit and take it again. So, it’s really program and state specific. (And she passed! And is now an attending)

I mean, you passed the MCAT by AAMC standards and that was in comparison to USMLE which is way harder than COMLEX. So i'm not sure what went wrong to fail COMLEX twice
As OP mentioned, test taking skills are an issue.

OP also has a <3.0 preclinical GPA, which is also a significant risk factor for doing poorly on Boards. A knowledge base issue may also be at play.

wait, so you have got your PhD? i thought if you started your clinical rotation that meant you had finished your PhD year 3-5/6? so why not just take your PhD away?

wait, so you have got your PhD? i thought if you started your clinical rotation that meant you had finished your PhD year 3-5/6? so why not just take your PhD away?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I don't have a PhD. I got into medical school shortly after getting a Bachelor's degree.

Out of curiosity, what caused this to happen do you think?

A lot of you guys are extremely judgmental on this post. What matters is she became a doctor. What are you guys doing besides sitting around and bashing her? She did not let her failures stop her, she got back up and kept pushing.

I would not quit before they dismiss me, let it go through the motions, and then appeal. Potentially you will be given a third chance, you're in 3rd year. just make sure you have a VERY good explanation of what happened (twice) and how you are going to fix it. If medical issues (ADHD, anxiety, etc) be prepared to produce some proof. Having said that if all else fails, I know someone who got dismissed from 3rd yr at my school (after leave of absence for failing boards several times) and is now in the Carib at their top school. I think the carib takes almost anyone. Be prepared to go into a lot of debt if it comes to this. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but if you get dismissed or if you end up withdrawing, my advice is for you to move on from medicine and find something else that you like. No school in the US will accept you with your record, and even if you go to an international school, you're only going to build up more student loans just for an abysmal chance at ever getting a residency spot and ever practicing. This is a hard decision, trust me I know, but it's one you must make at this point.
i know people who have gotten residency with 2 failed level 1s and no level 2 score. JUST DONT GIVE UP OP

The real question is, how the heck did this person get into medical school with a 24 being her best score on the MCAT after 3 attempts?:oops:

Still inspirational though. No doubt that it wasn't an easy journey for her to say the least.

Last edited:
You best plan right now is appealing the dismissal and come up with a plan to pass level1 on your 3rd attempt.

For some people, it's difficult to be relegated to RN--->NP. I would not go to RN (NP) school if failed med school because being in healthcare interacting with docs would have been a constant reminder that I was not good enough to become a doctor. That's just me!

I know a special case but that was a few years ago.

I know someone who is a physician (cardiology fellow) that was in a somewhat similar situation: Was at NSU DO school and was dismissed after failing multiple classes as a MS1... It's a weird story. His father pushed him to go to med school when he did not want to and I think helped him got into NSU because he was assistant professor in surgery there.

After he was dismissed he started doing some odd job. He was delivering pizza and his interest was renewed in medicine after delivering pizza at a hospital where I was told he had an unfortunate encounter with a doc. He applied to carib med school and got into ROSS. Did IM residency and work for a couple of year as an attending and now his a PGY6 cardio fellow.

These stories are rare but they happen...

I know the story because I used to work with his dad... By the way, I know the story when he was attending ROSS and I met him once.

My school allow 3 attempts at each COMLEX level. I think you should definitely appeal for 3rd chance , citing it is not fair other school allow 3 tries. I understand it is very difficult situation, a LOA might be needed, you need to be very well prepared for this last chance. Good lucks.

My school allow 3 attempts at each COMLEX level. I think you should definitely appeal for 3rd chance , citing it is not fair other school allow 3 tries. I understand it is very difficult situation, a LOA might be needed, you need to be very well prepared for this last chance. Good lucks.
I think most states also allow licensure up to 3 attempts per step. If OP lives in a state where they allow that or more tries, he may use that as an argument. I also had a friend that failed level multiple times. He got a letter from a psychiatrist and that's what the school accepted to allow him to take again

I think most states also allow licensure up to 3 attempts per step. If OP lives in a state where they allow that or more tries, he may use that as an argument. I also had a friend that failed level multiple times. He got a letter from a psychiatrist and that's what the school accepted to allow him to take again
That is actually a good strategy... That put the school on the look out for potential litigation if they don't allow you.

My two cents- sometimes it feels like the universe is giving you a signal and it's best to notice it.

• Love
If you do get dismissed do NOT go international, I repeat DO NOT go international. USMLE is a much different and harder beast than the COMLEX. And the USMLE going Pass/Fail isn't going to make it easier for you to pass.

Honestly, I would wait for the dismissal and I would appeal it with a solid study plan for round 3. If you withdraw you'll still never get accepted to another DO school; you're more likely to be able to appeal the dismissal and pass COMLEX than you are to rematriculate to DO school.

And, as above, DO NOT try and get into a different school where you have to take the USMLE. I haven't looked at the actual stats since 2013 when I was taking the USMLE and COMLEX but at least back then DO students were more likely to fail the USMLE than the COMLEX.
N = 1, I was far closer to failing COMLEX (< 500) than USMLE, which was actually a respectable score (>220).

I was over three times below the average for OMM on COMLEX, among other issues I had with the test.

N = 1, I was far closer to failing COMLEX (< 500) than USMLE, which was actually a respectable score (>220).

I was over three times below the average for OMM on COMLEX, among other issues I had with the test.

I think you're the pretty rare exception on this one, I don't think I've heard of anyone else far outperforming their percentile rank on USMLE vs COMLEX. I'm sure there are others but it's rare.

I would agree COMLEX is a ridiculously poorly written exam and if you're not strong in OMT you're going to have a bad time as you had happen. So I can completely understand how some students are able to outperform on the USMLE vs the COMLEX

Percentiles were pretty close on step 1 vs level 1.

Did better on step 2 vs level 2 though. But that’s because I forgot omm existed until 30 minutes before level 2 lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
My Step 1 percentile is > my level 1 percentile

my step 2 percentile was << my level 2 percentile

and my step 2 percentile was > my step 1 percentile

• Wow
Look my friend, Sorry about what you are going through, but if you fail comlex 1 twice, there are things that you are doing wrong- try to figure out what you are lacking and work on it so you pass it for the third time... if you still fail again- unfortunately this may not be the right path for you..

Residencies also look at scores and how you would do in the boards.. to me you are a very high risk applicant to residency- you are high risk of a dropout... there maybe someone willing to take a chance on you though.

• Sad