Explaining low science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cincodemayobb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stressed out recent grad here. I am applying to medical school this summer, taking the MCAT in a month. My science GPA Is about a 3.07, and my overall is 3.56 or so. I have faced some significant hardships over the course of my college career, I worked at least 4 jobs throughout while dealing with some major family issues. I have been involved in a number of extracurriculars, I've done research for four years, and have lots and lots of shadowing experience. I am wondering what I should do to help my chances. I am not trying to make excuses but I also feel I need to somehow explain my performance. Is it advised to talk about it in my personal statement? Should I bring it up in my interview?
I know that my next step is to kill the MCAT. I have the next 6ish weeks dedicated to studying and nothing else. I also think I have some pretty strong letters of recommendation. I'm planning on applying early decision to a midwestern MD Program, and if that falls flat i have a few other schools, some DO in mind also. I'm a 22 yo Latina female if that matters to anyone. Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to explain your performance by showing you can perform. Nothing you will say, explain, have done, etc, will somehow make up for lack of evidence of academic work. Applying ED is, frankly, ridiculous and will do nothing but put you in a worse position for the regular cycle. You need more than a solid MCAT, you need 20-40 credits of solid science work. No matter the hardships, no matter the URM, no matter the research, no matter the shadowing, you have to show you have the potential to be academically successful in medical school. Explanations dont show that. Only actually evidence does

For someone like myself who is in these shoes with a 2.97 science GPA/3.1 overall, would you recommmend doing DIY post bac or a SMP?

Without knowing your specifics such as grade trends, etc, it would be hard to say. However, I would lean to a SMP with a linkage for you

Grade trend is going down actually. Had a couple family deaths so the last 60 credits showed downward trend. First 60 were around 3.6 sGPA/cGPA. Planning to take the MCAT in July. Are there any specific SMP you suggest? Most have a GPA cutoff