This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potinator

Reaction score
Hello. I’m a junior biology major and am planning to apply to osteopathic schools in the future. My cumulative gpa is about 3.5 but my science gpa is about 3.23. I know this isn’t very competitive but I wanted to know what my best options would be to improve my application. I am currently working as a medical scribe which I started doing 3-4 months ago. I am planning to continue to do this for the next year or more. I don’t have any other experience as I was trying to focus more on school before this. I wanted to know if it would be ok to take a year off and study for the MCAT as well as to continue scribing to improve my chances or if it’s best to apply to a masters program prior to med school. Also if I do take a gap year is it better to find another clinical experience to replace or add onto scribing during this time off to boost my application or is scribing probably enough on its own.

Members don't see this ad.

I see two gap years at most, one for your GPA resurrection, and the other for MCAT prep.

You should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time and so work on ECs in both.

Read my post on reinvention for premeds

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I see two gap years at most, one for your GPA resurrection, and the other for MCAT prep.

You should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time and so work on ECs in both.

Read my post on reinvention for premeds
Hello. Thanks for your response. How exactly can I improve my gpa? Would that require a masters program or can I simply take more classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Along with scribing, you will need to get some ECs, volunteering at homeless shelters or food banks, and some leadership roles. Good luck and best wishes

Reactions: 1 user