General Admissions & OTCAS EWU: Advice Given to me abt re-applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoastalOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
EWU Stats for this application cycle, Carrie was amazingly helpful in letting me know what I can improve for the next time around:

AVG GPA: 3.78
Pre-req GPA: 3.77
Essay score: 72 points – Note: 80 points is perfect.
GRE score: 300 for a combined score – 4.0 for the essay.
Volunteer/Work hours: 100+
Letters of recommendation: 3 or more

These are areas I was told to improve for the next application cycle:

1.Pre-reqs and overall GPA: I was encouraged to retake courses such as A&P (in which I earned B's for both I and II), General Psychology (B earned as well). I was told to consider taking what I call filler classes (classes you know you can 4.0 in) to raise your GPA.

2. How to improve my Essay: I scored a 73 on the essay out of 80 points. Faculty cited improvement by 1) working on my goals. They need to be more specific and clearly defined as short and long term. In addition, my goals needed to be measurable. How are you going to measure the completion of your goals? 2) Overall content – essay content needs to be relatable to today’s practice. 3) Professionalism – your use of language needs to convey an understanding of the profession and have a clear use of healthcare and OT Framework language.

I'd have to assume the biggest problem is anatomy. I've been told it's rare for programs to accept folks without an A in at least one. Do that and I'd bet you'll be in good shape.

I agree with inari87, the biggest problem with your GPA is probably the B's in A&P I and II. It sounds like you are working towards improving these, so that is great to hear. Improving these two grades will definitely improve your chances next time around.

As far as improving your essay, it seems like they gave some pretty specific points for you to improve on. This is way more helpful than simply telling you your essay needed work. You have said you had a solid essay before, so it is quite possible you were just missing a few of the things they mentioned.

It is unfortunate that you were not accepted this time around. Hopefully making these changes will put you on the right path for OT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
that is great that they gave you some solid and specific advice, @osu789 ! none of the schools i was rejected from provided me with any such specific reasoning (though i assume and know it is probably my low cumulative GPA). that gives me a very good impression of EWU's program. good luck with your endeavors!

Also, stop being a male.

I kid, I kid. Seriously, it sounds like a program really wants to take you if they're willing to be detailed with what else you need to get in. Sounds promising to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.