EVMS vs. Saint Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penny121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very thankful to have two schools to choose from, but I am unsure which to pick! I think I am leaning toward EVMS, but my biggest concerns/things I would like to know more about (for each school) include student community/atmosphere and match list. Unfortunately I am not skilled in determining what a "good" match list looks like. I do not have a particular specialty in mind at this point. Any insight would be helpful. Would either school give me a lot more opportunities than the other?

Eastern VA Medical School (EVMS) Vs. Saint Louis (SLU)

EVMS

Pros:

-closer to home, have some family there
-love the incorporation of standardized patients in curriculum
-ultrasound
-focus on community
Cons:
-slightly more expensive (but not a dealbreaker)
-NOT Pass/Fail (this is the biggest concern for me as I really want to be part of a class that gets along and helps each other, and I also want to focus on the big picture of Step 1 instead of worrying about grades)
-lower ranking

SLU
Pros:

-Pass/Fail
-higher ranked
-more affordable
Cons:
-currently on probation
-far away from family
-don't like the curriculum as much (seems much more traditional / lecture oriented)

Any thoughts/tips would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Come to VA! Probation is not a good thing. Just learned that EVMS has super high step scores too, supposedly.

While SLU is supposed to be a good school too your cons for SLU outweigh your cons for EVMS. I don't think probation is a deal breaker .

EVMS is supposed to be a good school with a very collaborative student body and great Step1 scores. Students seem to be happy there and it may be a better option for you in terms of family and curriculum.