Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After applying to 20 schools, I was lucky enough to interview at 11 T20 schools this cycle. I felt fairly confident about getting at least a couple As given my high stats (LizzyM 80) at a T10 undergraduate school, unique ECs, and how confident I felt after some really good interview days. But I have found myself with 6 Rs and 5 WLs. Most of the schools that waitlisted me have very little movement, except for one. It also happens that, I have a close connection with someone who is very, very highly regarded at that one school, because of consistent donations and involvement (a non-medical program at this school is named after their family).

So, the question is, could a personal letter in my support help at all with such a prestigious medical school? Would they even care? Would it possibly even be detrimental to my chances of getting off the WL to be pulling on connections? And if I did this, what would my LOI look like? Beyond all these logistical questions, I am really stuck on the ethics of this all. But I also feel a little desperate to avoid another application cycle, especially because I am very unprepared for that given how confident my undergraduate advisors were about my cycle. I know I am incredibly privileged to even have this option, so part of me thinks I should take advantage of it... but the other part feels guilty and, if I were to get the A, undeserving. Right now, I am leaning towards just praying for the best waitlist-wise but expecting the worst. What are your thoughts?
So first of all, it is March 4. If you don't have an acceptance in hand then you need to come up with a plan for a potential gap year, and you need to start yesterday. Hopefully it winds up not being necessary, but better to be ready with a plan B and not need it than get caught completely unprepared. The plan B needs to involve re-applying with a much broader list of schools, as for whatever reason your high stats seem to not translate well on your interviews--that's not a judgement on you or your interview skills necessarily, that's just the reality of the response you've received. Nothing is assured to anyone when you're interviewing in that stratosphere of schools.

In regards to how to approach this, I'm trying to answer delicately. While it is certainly not fair that some applicants have connections that they can use in the application process and others don't, it is not unethical to use them if you have them. For better or worse, this is how things work in the real world--as I am currently applying for faculty positions, I always have my mentors reach out on my behalf first, as I know what my mentors have to say matters at least as much as what is actually on my CV. How using these connections at your level would make you feel, and whether using your advantages is something your conscience is comfortable with, is a personal decision that only you can make.

The potential problem I can identify in your case is that it sounds like your connection may be completely removed from the medical school, in which case you need to tread very, very carefully. If you choose to have someone reach out on your behalf, make sure they have something to say about you as a potential physician. Ie, their letter needs to say, "mojorojo would be a great doctor because X, Y and Z. I think (s)he would be a great fit for the culture of your school." Not, "Please accept this person because I give your school a lot of money." If the letter sounds more like my latter example, or if your connection has no business evaluating you as a potential physician, this could absolutely could backfire on you. So, be careful.

Members don't see this ad.

Eleven interviews at top school implies that you're a stellar candidate. However, your poor success implies some significant interview issues.

Thus, I suspect that your patron's involvement, if you call upon him, will simply lead to you getting a very nice rejection letter at the very end of the cycle, as opposed to the typical rejection letter in May or June.

I'd wait. For me LOIs are not helpful. CYMS just opened and with 5 alternate spots you still have a decent chance. Moving days start when Commits start to be declared and people give up their spots.

IMO, if you have a connection, I would use it. It is very late in the cycle and the chance that you would move off a waitlist is getting thin. I agree that the letter needs to be written in a way that isn't a "hey, I donate money, accept this student, or I will withdraw my funds" kinda thing.

You also need to have a gap year plan set up. If you don't have to use it, great. However, it needs to be set up so that you don't waste time in the off-season. Get some leads out to continue your ECs and start working on your interviewing skills.

Also, next year please apply to more schools. The fact that at least 11 of the 20 schools you applied to were T20 means your list was extremely top-heavy. Not saying your stats don't warrant a crazy list, but you want to make sure you get into A medical school. You do not want to do this a third time.

Status
Not open for further replies.