ENDO residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJ3940

Reaction score
I am currently a D3 student and I would like to eventually specialize in ENDO. As far as numbers are concerned I have done pretty well in dental school my class rank is 3rd my cumulative GPA is about a 3.9 and didactic GPA is 4.0. What do you all think is the best move as far as first year out of school? (apply directly to ENDO programs, or do a GPR/AEGD/ straight to work as a general dentist and then apply after that?) To be completely honest we do a very limited amount of endo here at my school as predocs you get 2 cases for sure and anything after that you have to luck into. We don't get to do any molar endo really so wouldn't have many cases that you could present at an interview thats for sure. Appreciate any insight that anyone might have!

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades and rank are good. Applicants usually get in straight from school if they have a lot of experience: shadowing/assisting in graduate clinics often, doing root canals on extracted teeth in your free time and asking for feedback on access and cleaning/shaping and obturation (but not pestering faculty too often), doing research in endo and attending meetings or lectures held to residents if you have time in your schedule.

Your biggest issue as a candidate straight out of school is your clinical speed and judgement. They can teach you how to do a root canal, but some questions would also be should you be doing a root canal on this tooth? Restorability concerns and other clinical factors which are mainly learned through a residency or work experience are huge.