EMR and Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4ophtho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have been your experiences with the different EMRs that are offered for ophthalmology?

I am looking at a practice that uses Nextgen - an earlier post on this forum gave it really negaqtive reviews, but after a quick google serach it was awarded the customer satisfaction award for ophthalmology in 2012.

I have had experience with Epic and Medflow, and prefer Medflow.

Members don't see this ad.

If the EMR is in place, there is very little you are going to do about that, that is the one you will use. I doubt you would let your decision to choose one practice over another rest on the EMR.

intoxicatedtiger uses EyeMD and has commented on his blog. I tried Medflow a long time ago and at the time, I did not like it, but I am sure it has evolved, so the opinion of another user would be better.

Have worked with Epic and NextGen in the past. Both are cumbersome but decent, particularly for a multispecialty practice. I now use MDIntellesys and absolutely love it.

Whatever EMR your practice is using now will likely look slightly if not drastically different a few years from now, thus, wouldn't get too bogged down with that. Just like everything else tech, expect relatively rapid changes.