empty stomach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonny2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why perindopril should be taken on empty stomach?

Members don't see this ad.

We can't understand your accent.

Reduces bioavailability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your answer Anejo, maybe I’m not clear enough again.
Yes, I realize the differences due to absorption, but I’ve come across some contradictory descriptions of this medicine (I mean on taking it before or with food) and try to find out what exactly should the patient avoid, which product in a diet.

Thanks for your answer Anejo, maybe I’m not clear enough again. Yes, I realize the differences due to absorption, but I’ve come across some contradictory descriptions of this medicine (I mean on taking it before or with food) and try to find out what exactly should the patient avoid, which product in a diet.
The bioavailability of perindoprilat (the active metabolite of perindopril) is reduced by 35% in the presence of food, but the rate and extent of absorption of perindopril is unaffected (as measured by urinary metabolites).

According to an article in the Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association, "Although it is not necessary to administer perindopril apart from food, it is advisable for patients to administer doses in a consistent manner with respect to the timing of a meal."

I would conclude that from a pharmacokinetic standpoint, it's better taken on an empty stomach, but from a practical perspective it's easier to take with food or milk. So as long as the person sticks to the same way of taking the perindopril every day, he/she should be fine.

You got to the heart of the matter, PharmaSynergy. Thanks for that.