Emory vs UCSD vs Wayne(3 year MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenzeneToluene

Reaction score
Hi guys, narrowed down my acceptances to these three! Looking for some opinions before I make my final choice! For some background about me, I’m from GA and most of my family support is either still in the state or very close by. I have zero desire to enter academic medicine, but I’m mainly interested in ENT and maybe urology at the moment due to some past experiences. I definitely know that these interests could change. I’m not particularly into research, but I do understand its importance when it comes to matching into more competitive fields. I’m also URM, so diversity of the area and student body of a medical school is extremely important to me. Please don’t quote the post, thanks :)

Emory(54k per year):

Pros:

-Abundant access to research

-Dedicated six month block for pursuing research

-Grady is an incredible place to do rotations

-Chill vibes when compared to a lot of the other T25s

-Strong match list, seems to be very accepting of their own in the match as well

-I’m from Atlanta, so the familiarity that the city affords is quite nice!

-Close to family. I have a relatively volatile relationship with them at times though, so I don’t know if this is a straight-up pro.

-Extremely diverse student body and Atlanta has a huge black community in particular, which is a major plus

Cons:

-It’s expensive(still waiting for financial aid though)

-The familiarity of the city is nice and comforting, but a part of me wanted to explore somewhere new for medical school

Wayne:

Pros:

-Final financial aid package has yet to release, but I’ve received a very substantial scholarship, making it by far the cheapest school to attend as of now. More scholarships will be released in the coming weeks.

-Admitted to the 3 year program with a conditional, non-binding, acceptance into a residency position in ENT at WSU

-Detroit is extremely diverse and has a huge underserved population

-Heavy emphasis on service and developing competent clinicians

-By far the best vibes that I’ve gotten from any school when interacting with both faculty and students

-My SO will be attending, so I’ll have support in that form

-It’s in a completely new city and region, which is exciting

-Pre-clinical electives focused around various aspects of medicine

Cons:

-Winters are brutal

-Definitely the least “prestigious” of my three final choices.

-Least amount of access to research opportunities out of my three options

UCSD(50ishk per year):

Pros:

-Location. La Jolla is absolutely stunning with a good amount to do.

-Tons of access to research

-Insane variety of really interesting pre-clinical electives

-Big focus on wellness. The school seems to have a very “work hard, play hard” mentality, which I like

-Students seem to get a lot of support and specific, individualized feedback during clinical rotations

Cons:

-Very small, albeit tight-knit, URM community at the school.

-Very, very expensive. Tuition is comparable to Emory’s, but San Diego living is not cheap

-Very far away from any kind of support. I would definitely feel isolated in the beginning

-Weird vibes throughout the admissions process. I definitely feel the least valued as a potential student at this school

Overall, my brain is overwhelmingly telling me to pick Wayne, but there’s still a small part of me that feels unsure. Also still wanting to wait and see what my financial aid situation would be at UCSD and Emory, but the deadline is approaching fast and I’m trying to make a preliminary decision with what I have. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

what are the conditions for the ENT residency at Wayne state? if it’s not something ridiculous, I think Wayne takes the cake here. many people don’t match ent every year so to have a guaranteed residency spot, nonetheless after 3 years of med school, will alleviate a lot of stress and uncertainty. plus you have your SO for support and it’s cheapest. could maybe make a case for Emory as well but I think UCSD is off the table. congrats on a great cycle!

Reactions: 5 users
what are the conditions for the ENT residency at Wayne state? if it’s not something ridiculous, I think Wayne takes the cake here. many people don’t match ent every year so to have a guaranteed residency spot, nonetheless after 3 years of med school, will alleviate a lot of stress and uncertainty. plus you have your SO for support and it’s cheapest. could maybe make a case for Emory as well but I think UCSD is off the table. congrats on a great cycle!
I just have to pass both boards the first time, not fail more than two pre-clinical courses(and if I do fail one, it needs to be passed on the first remediation), and I can’t fail more than two shelves. I also need to enroll in the research pre-clinical elective(which most students pursuing something competitive do that anyways). Very loose requirements imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just have to pass both boards the first time, not fail more than two pre-clinical courses(and if I do fail one, it needs to be passed on the first remediation), and I can’t fail more than two shelves. I also need to enroll in the research pre-clinical elective(which most students pursuing something competitive do that anyways). Very loose requirements imo.
literally seems too good to be true, take that and run imo as someone also interested in ent

Reactions: 3 users
I think you gotta take that ENT path that’s ridiculously good

Emory may be worth consideration if they hand you an insane scholarship, but outside of that, Wayne sounds like the way to go

Update: Got off the Kaiser waitlist less than an hour ago. I don't demonstrate significant financial need, so I don't believe I'll have any of the COL expenses waived. So, given that I'd be paying COL for four years in SoCal, I would be paying slightly more to go to Kaiser than the other front-runner, Wayne. Full Pros and Cons list below.

Kaiser:

Pros:
-Location on the surface is pretty nice, don't like it as much as San Diego, but super cool
-Big URM student body
-Clear commitment to service
-The idea of being one of the first classes in a medical school seems kind of exciting
-Connections to Kaiser system would probably make matching easier

Cons:
-Pretty unclear/limited match list
-No cadavers for anatomy. This is a huge con for me, because I did cadaver-based anatomy in undergrad and loved it.
-Doesn't seem to have nearly as many opportunities for research as some other schools
-Small group based learning with mandatory attendance daily is a huge downside for me
-Curriculum seems reallllyyyy tough and tight, especially second year
-Nobody really knows if Kaiser will take off in the future, there's an inherent risk by attending such a new school

What do you guys think? Is it worth considering Kaiser?

• Love