EMGs: How much training do Neurology residents get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been wondering how much EMG training Neurology residents get. Is there a minimum number of cases/months of EMG rotation you are required to perform? If so, what are the numbers?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would depend on the specific program. The Mayo program in Neurology provides 2 months in core neurophysiology which includes EMG, EEG, NCS, etc. There are an additional 10 months of elective time of which a total of 8 months can be spent in EMG.

I don't know if the ABPN has specific requirements for cases or months in EMG to be an ACGME accredited. Check with the residency director at your school...they should know if there are a required number of cases or months of EMG to become board certified.

At the Partners Neurology Program, the residents are required to do one month of EMGs. I don't know if they have a specific number of EMGs and EEGs they need to perform, but if they do, they have enough elective time that would allow them to fulfill the requirement. Most of the Partners Neuro residents that I've met who wanted to do EMGs usually wound up doing a fellowship.

as far as i understand it, the ABPN has no formal requirement as to the number of cases or months that a resident is required to perform to be a board certified neurologist.

each residency program has a different structure and different minimum requirements for it's residents, and in theory at some programs one would be able to do enough studies during the required time + a few months of elective to get the number of cases (200) and number of dedicated months (6) during residency to qualify for certification by the ABEM (American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine).
http://www.aaem.net/abem/certexam/EligibilityRequirements.cfm

some programs have the number of cases and the PDs are very conducive to allowing this (e.g. Mayo, CCF, UCSD), while at others one would have to do a dedicated fellowship.

one point: Partners has no formal dedicated EEG requirement, it sounds like one is expected to pick it up as one goes along. of course one can use elective time to set something up if desired (at least that what i heard).