Electrostatics, Potential, Sign Convention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labqi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I hope studying is going well. I looked through past posts but I couldn't get a clear explanation to the following questions/concerns.

1. Figured it out.
2. Is work positive for a negative charge moving in an electric field? The way I was thinking, please correct me if I am wrong, if an object moves against a Force (i.e. Electric Field), then it is doing work against thus it would be negative work. But if you have a negative charge, the negative work and negative charge cancel out and give you positive work?
3. Potential Energy vs Potential: Is there a way we can determine if work is positive or negative pending whether a charge moves to higher or lower potential?
Just to be clear, potential energy increases as r increases for opposite charges?
4. Do charges always want to move towards high potential (including positive) or do they prefer to move towards low?
5. Might be a similar question, whats the work/convention if a electron is placed in an electric field? What is work/sign convention if a positive charge is placed in an electric field

I think I am just having trouble grasping the concept of potential and its relation to work. I know the formulas etc, but the idea is difficult for me.

If someone could please clear this up that would be amazing.
thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: