Electrochem on DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentaldreams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the people who just took the DAT..did you see a lot of electrochem..galvanic cells vs electrolytic...?voltage and equilibrium...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there usually is an easy easy electrochem question on there. There are no calculations, but just common sense question just to see if you know about batteries...

DesiDentist

Luckily I did not have a question on electrochemistry on my DAT. looking back, I do not even recall any questions on nuclear chemistry. However I would remember what the basic equations are used to deduce which elemments will be oxidized and reduced in a redown reaction, as well as how to balance a redox rxn.

Members don't see this ad :)
croco put it perfectly.
you don't really need to know much about it. all you need to know is what croco mentioned. if you read the section from your kaplan book, you'll be more than ok.

I think you'll have sometype of electrochem question. Either oxydation/reduction, different types of cell etc. But I agree usually they require no calculation and are rather easy

Like everybody else, I think I had one or two questions. Certainly not the bulk of the material, but enough to make a difference in my score.

Generally speaking, my chem section was very easy and much easier than I had anticipated it being.

I had two questions. One asked to fill in the blanks as follows.

In a galvanic cell the anode is ___ and the cathode is ___. In an electrolytic cell the anode is ___ and the cathode is ___.

Just know the basics. I know this has already been said. I just wanted to add to the average.