EIS 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

!!tasha!!

Reaction score
Hello! Is anyone applying to the EIS 2020? The deadline to submit the application is May 22, 2019. I finally finished writing my personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

Finishing up a few things before tomorrow! Is it just me or did the personal statement use to have a prompt about prior applications?

Finishing up a few things before tomorrow! Is it just me or did the personal statement use to have a prompt about prior applications?
Haha! No, it's not you. it does have a prompt about prior application. This is my first time applying to the program so I did not answer anything about prior application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I applied for EIS 2020 and my reference letters are finally all set. Phew.
Hope we will be invited to the interview!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying. But just encountered an error with my application. Went to part 2 not knowing that I couldn't go back and edit part 1. Missing my current position from part 1. I'm waiting on IT to contact me about it. Hopefully, the issue can be resolved quickly. If not, I don't think it's a major error since I started this position less than a month ago. Also still waiting on 1 recommendation letter.

They reopened my application. I submitted everything and my recommendation letters are in. I applied last year so hoping I can secure an interview spot this year.

Reactions: 1 users
They reopened my application. I submitted everything and my recommendation letters are in. I applied last year so hoping I can secure an interview spot this year.
Glad you got it all in! Good luck to all of us! Does anyone know how to check the status of the application?

What's the feel regarding the increasing diversity of the EIS class? Seems like there are less MD's than in previous years. Do you all think that this is a trend or a fluctuation?

What's the feel regarding the increasing diversity of the EIS class? Seems like there are less MD's than in previous years. Do you all think that this is a trend or a fluctuation?

Part of it may have to do with a potentially lower number of MD applicants. A joint letter released March 22, 2018 called
Letter to House E&C Re PAHPA Reauthorization and CDC EIS by numerous professional medical associations (Google: eis physician loan repayment) have proposed that the EIS have funding and authorization to repay medical student loans for accepted physician applicants, stating:

"Each EIS class includes about 80 individuals, and the program has grown since its inception in 1951 to meet increasing demands. However, the 2018 EIS class includes only 62 officers, setting the program back to the response capability of the 1980s. EIS is experiencing a significant decline in the number of physician applicants. CDC assessed and analyzed the need for physicians in public health preparedness and response systems, and determined the need for approximately 50% of the EIS class to be physicians. Physician EIS officers use their clinical acumen to identify potential causes of an outbreak and how to stop it. It is similar to the processes of diagnosing and treating a patient, but on a population level. Only 30% of the current EIS class is made up of physicians. CDC focus groups and interviews identified medical student debt (on average $190,000) as a key barrier to pursuing EIS in favor of more lucrative career paths. Failing to address this challenge will leave America without the expert workforce we need to protect us in times of crisis."

I've also noticed what seems like an increase in non-MD/PhD selectees (PA's, pharmacists, nurses), which I'm not sure reflects a changing demographic of applicants or a shift in priorities in diversifying the class make-up. Additionally, there is an overall decline of applicants for the past three years (386 applicants for the 2019 class, 489 applicants for the 2018 class, and 556 for the 2017 class), so at this point it's not clear which factor influences the incoming class the most.

Wow...don't think I've used my SDN account since medical school, which feels like it was about a lifetime ago, haha.

Applied to EIS, my dream position, this year! Good luck to everyone as we not-so-patiently await some news!

A previous coworker and former EISO told me that the chief of EIS has a focus on recruiting more PhD that have a sociobehavioral focus. He has a similar type of training. She told me this 2 years ago. This definitely reflects the trend I see.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello all, just joining the conversation. good luck to everyone applying this year. it's going to be a long wait...

Wow...don't think I've used my SDN account since medical school, which feels like it was about a lifetime ago, haha.

Applied to EIS, my dream position, this year! Good luck to everyone as we not-so-patiently await some news!

I am glad to see I am not the only one. Have not been on here in a loooong time. It is good to know another doc with a little time since their graduation is also applying.

A previous coworker and former EISO told me that the chief of EIS has a focus on recruiting more PhD that have a sociobehavioral focus. He has a similar type of training. She told me this 2 years ago. This definitely reflects the trend I see.

dislike

I am glad to see I am not the only one. Have not been on here in a loooong time. It is good to know another doc with a little time since their graduation is also applying.

Yeah, I'm just starting a chief fellow year in ID, something to keep me busy while waiting to hear if I got an interview and job for the next two years, haha

My program director asked me today what my backup plan is in case EIS doesn't work out... apply for an actual job? This "under review" thing is killing me.

My program director asked me today what my backup plan is in case EIS doesn't work out... apply for an actual job? This "under review" thing is killing me.

Haha, same here. Our fellowship does these twice yearly "oversight committee" meetings with each fellow. My meeting last fall had that same question come up. I was like, "uh, well...I guess work for a year while I apply again, since I really, really want this position..."

Any news yet? I guess we will hear from EIS in August!

Nothing yet on my end! I'm guessing, if this year is like the past few, we'll start hearing yea or nay as far as interview about a month out from the interview dates, so around mid-August. Who knows, though!

Got a response from them today about when we will hear back. Definitely next week!

Reactions: 3 users
This wait is killing me! I wonder if they keep track of which people log into their application profile incessantly to see a change in status and file them under "Yikes!".

This wait is killing me! I wonder if they keep track of which people log into their application profile incessantly to see a change in status and file them under "Yikes!".

Me too! I've refreshed my emails so many times and jump every time I get a notification. Eep!

Best of luck everyone! :)

It’s like checking board scores. I want to hide under a blanket and check my email where no one can see me.

It’s like checking board scores. I want to hide under a blanket and check my email where no one can see me.

I’ve never read a post that so exactly describes how I feel before...

Invitations are out! I didn't receive an email but checked the application portal.

It's weird. I just had to notify whether I will be attending the interview. They will probably inform us about the date later.
Good luck everyone!

It's weird. I just had to notify whether I will be attending the interview. They will probably inform us about the date later.
Good luck everyone!

Blah, mine is still “Under Review”...does not bode well, I think :(

Weird - still says "Application Under Review" for me...

They may have just started updating the portal. Maybe click on "Under Review" and see if there is an invitation inside?

None here. Clicking under review just let’s me review my application :/

Well, if more than one person is getting interviews, then it sounds legit. Congrats to those who got one! Very exciting =) Pretty bummed that it appears I didn't get one, but maybe next year, I guess!

Well, if more than one person is getting interviews, then it sounds legit. Congrats to those who got one! Very exciting =) Pretty bummed that it appears I didn't get one, but maybe next year, I guess!
My guess is that it may be a few hours or even a day until all of the invitations are out. This may be happening one by one or in batches. Don't count yourself out!

That's what I'm hoping! =) I'll just keep myself busy with the bajillion consults my service has picked up today...lol