Effect of COVID on IMG residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donmarza

Reaction score
Anyone wondering whether the effects of the global pandemic will paint PDs decisions to accepts FMGs in the next match cycle? Have there been any discussions regarding this before? Would appreciate some opinions

Members don't see this ad.

There are more GME positions than US grads. So no matter what, IMG's and FMG's are going to get spots.

It's possible that:

1. Those not needing a visa will get priority, as getting visas this year is a big problem.
2. Some countries are causing more problems than others, some countries might be favored next year.
3. Programs that take all IMG's might pull out of the match completely. This would result in more pre-match offers, which is either a good or bad thing for IMG's depending on how you look at it.
4. Much of this COVID problem may have resolved, or turned into a chronic issue, such that the visa situation is back to usual and neither #1 nor #2 will be true.
5. There will be a new problem, impossible to predict, that will make all of this wrong.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
I am unmatched US grad. Please stop your rhetoric, as it is very insulting.
There are more GME positions than US grads. So no matter what, IMG's and FMG's are going to get spots.

It's possible that:

1. Those not needing a visa will get priority, as getting visas this year is a big problem.
2. Some countries are causing more problems than others, some countries might be favored next year.
3. Programs that take all IMG's might pull out of the match completely. This would result in more pre-match offers, which is either a good or bad thing for IMG's depending on how you look at it.
4. Much of this COVID problem may have resolved, or turned into a chronic issue, such that the visa situation is back to usual and neither #1 nor #2 will be true.
5. There will be a new problem, impossible to predict, that will make all of this wrong.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I am sorry that you found my post insulting. It certainly wasn't meant to be. I was simply pointing out that the total number of spots is greater than the total number of US grads, so that even if all US grads get a spot, there will still be spots for IMG's.

Reviewing your post history, it appear's you're a DO grad that didn't match. One of your posts mentions problems with the COMLEX exams. The question of whether all US grads should get spots first, followed by US citizen IMG's, followed by everyone else versus a "merit" based system based on performance is oft debated here on SDN. You can find threads on this topic to review and discuss if you like.

I do wish you the best of luck in finding a spot this year, or in the next match.

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
I am also confused why that post was considered insulting. It seemed like a very helpful post for foreign grads and doesn’t read as offensive to unmatched American grads to me.

Now now. Everyone has a right to express how they feel as long as it is productive. While I have your attention sir, I found this image on twitter about someone highlighting how many unmatched people. Add it up...6570 folks who didn't match last cycle. Look at past years, it adds up no?

I am sorry that you found my post insulting. It certainly wasn't meant to be. I was simply pointing out that the total number of spots is greater than the total number of US grads, so that even if all US grads get a spot, there will still be spots for IMG's.

Reviewing your post history, it appear's you're a DO grad that didn't match. One of your posts mentions problems with the COMLEX exams. The question of whether all US grads should get spots first, followed by US citizen IMG's, followed by everyone else versus a "merit" based system based on performance is oft debated here on SDN. You can find threads on this topic to review and discuss if you like.

I do wish you the best of luck in finding a spot this year, or in the next match.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200623-152452.jpg
    Screenshot_20200623-152452.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 86
Everyone is aware that @NotAProgDirector is just a former program director, and not the director of the NRMP or the ACGME, correct? So he shouldn't have to answer for general nation-wide matching trends?

Carry on.

• Love
  • Dislike
Everyone is aware that @NotAProgDirector is just a former program director, and not the director of the NRMP or the ACGME, correct? So he shouldn't have to answer for general nation-wide matching trends?

Carry on.

I just wanted his perspective on this question is all. You don't have to be rude about it bro.

I just wanted his perspective on this question is all. You don't have to be rude about it bro.

I’m not quite sure why you gave a thumbs down vote to a helpful factual post and supported a different post that called the helpful post insulting. No one here has been rude.

Reactions: 3 users
What's the word on how the new executive order visa restrictions are going to affect the physician workforce?

Reactions: 1 user
Calm down. Common knowledge that this country gives two Fs about its citizens. You're FMG gold with radiating board scores and fat wallets that are here to stay. But there are a lot of unmatched US citizens jonesing for your spot so I wouldn't get too comfortable.

You can't start a post with "Now now" and then complain about someone else being the rude one o_O

OP's question was answered by NaPD's response, and didn't need to be bumped to relitigate the never-ending US grad vs FMG debate. Closing thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.