Editor in Chief has articles retracted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

It’s difficult to assess the impropriety of the actual research that was retracted. But this was a red flag for me:
Since 2018, Kivlighan has authored 37 out of the 369 papers published in Journal of Counseling Psychology,

10% off all articles! Shady on the face of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
> 10% of ALL papers published in the journal, lol.

Pretty bad news for that journal at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Journal of Counseling Psychology apparently struggled to get many editor applicants for their search last year. I wonder if this is connected, or if it's just part of the broader trend of people saying no to uncompensated or barely-compensated work more often.

My doctoral mentor had a policy of never publishing in a journal if they were the Editor-in-Chief of said journal. I think it's a great policy and I think more people should consider adopting it. I just don't know how an editor can think about issues fairly in a journal they also regularly publish in. Especially one like JCP that only comes out bimonthly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My doctoral mentor had a policy of never publishing in a journal if they were the Editor-in-Chief of said journal. I think it's a great policy and I think more people should consider adopting it.

I agree with this principal, in general. But, for people with fairly niche research interests, there may only be 1-2 journals for a bulk of your work, which could make this tough. May be tougher to publish in other journals which may not be as good of a fit. Again, may only be a problem for a small percentage of folks, though. In such cases, recusal and handing all decisions off to an associate editor in a blind review process may be a compromise.

I agree with this principal, in general. But, for people with fairly niche research interests, there may only be 1-2 journals for a bulk of your work, which could make this tough. May be tougher to publish in other journals which may not be as good of a fit. Again, may only be a problem for a small percentage of folks, though. In such cases, recusal and handing all decisions off to an associate editor in a blind review process may be a compromise.

Yeah, I'm sure it depends on a number of factors. Career stage being one of them, area being another. I suppose you might ask yourself if you 'should' take on an editorship for a journal you plan to publish in a lot. Not sure I would, but that's just me.

For the bolded part of the comment, counseling is a small area and JCP, for better or worse, is the 'flagship' journal so Kivlighan may have been in this position and I am under the impression that he had handled things in this manner.

Yeah, I'm sure it depends on a number of factors. Career stage being one of them, area being another. I suppose you might ask yourself if you 'should' take on an editorship for a journal you plan to publish in a lot. Not sure I would, but that's just me.

For the bolded part of the comment, counseling is a small area and JCP, for better or worse, is the 'flagship' journal so Kivlighan may have been in this position and I am under the impression that he had handled things in this manner.

Agree that for most of us, that'd be a no. Personally, I just wouldn't want that much uncompensated work. But, I am also not going up for tenure, where things like this may be expected or beneficial as part of that onerous and increasingly difficult process.

Agree that for most of us, that'd be a no. Personally, I just wouldn't want that much uncompensated work. But, I am also not going up for tenure, where things like this may be expected or beneficial as part of that onerous and increasingly difficult process.
For promotion to full maybe, but for tenure, nah. Pre-tenure, people are actually discouraged from taking on service roles like this (especially external ones), as they are seen as a "distraction" from publishing/grants/teaching.

For promotion to full maybe, but for tenure, nah. Pre-tenure, people are actually discouraged from taking on service roles like this (especially external ones), as they are seen as a "distraction" from publishing/grants/teaching.

Good to know, seemed like all of our profs in grad school that were nontenured at that time, mine included, were all about getting journal editor positions.

Good to know, seemed like all of our profs in grad school that were nontenured at that time, mine included, were all about getting journal editor positions.
You definitely want some editorial board memberships at respected/flagship journals to show "(inter)national reputation", but not a full EIC position, as that's a huge time suck. Probably not an AE position, either, though you see some "near-tenure" folks going for those.

That was my impression, but I could only speak to my experience. My mentor was already a full professor when I came to them and was working on their second editorship so very different career stage.