General Admissions & OTCAS ECU 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J966

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone apply to East Carolina University for Fall 2014 admission and hear back yet on their status or has anyone spoke to them and found out when they will be notifying applicants? Their website says "early spring," but from posts last year it looks like people were notified of acceptance on March 6th, although in 2012 it seems email notifications were sent later in March.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @J966! I applied as well. Still haven't heard, although I was going off of the early March estimation due to when last year's cohort heard. Hopefully sooner rather than later :)

Hi simza91! I have the same estimation. I agree, hopefully sooner rather than later. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who has received a letter from ECU already. They got their letter on Monday.

Hopefully you will hear soon! Good luck. :)

Reactions: 1 user
That is good to know. I've been thinking it would come via email (if at all lol) initially as others had reported last year. Thank you, OTisLove!

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend who got her acceptance email today....it seems like they're just sending them out randomly. I'm really looking forward to hearing something!

I found out today I was accepted! I am so excited. Good luck to everyone!!!

Thank you, OTisLOVE! I don't mind sharing my general stats. I know how it is as I've been compulsively scrutinizing stats like crazy myself. ECU is the only school I applied to so my stats were not computed like they would have been in OTCAS. I'm not sure of the gpa for the entirety of my undergrad "career," but the last 60 it was 3.8. My prereq gpa was likewise 3.8. My GRE was quantitative 147 and verbal 160, so combined, 307, which is exactly what ECU reports as the average for admitted students. I didn't study as long as I had hoped to for the GRE and I think I could have done much better with more time. When I finished the test and got the score report I quickly added the two scores and was happy that it was at least a combined 307. ECU does not require you document shadowing hours, so that was not a factor in their decision. I hope that helps :)

I found out today I was accepted! I am so excited. Good luck to everyone!!!

Congrats on getting accepted @J966! When did you apply to ECU? How long do you have to send in your deposit?

Thank you, OTisLOVE! I don't mind sharing my general stats. I know how it is as I've been compulsively scrutinizing stats like crazy myself. ECU is the only school I applied to so my stats were not computed like they would have been in OTCAS. I'm not sure of the gpa for the entirety of my undergrad "career," but the last 60 it was 3.8. My prereq gpa was likewise 3.8. My GRE was quantitative 147 and verbal 160, so combined, 307, which is exactly what ECU reports as the average for admitted students. I didn't study as long as I had hoped to for the GRE and I think I could have done much better with more time. When I finished the test and got the score report I quickly added the two scores and was happy that it was at least a combined 307. ECU does not require you document shadowing hours, so that was not a factor in their decision. I hope that helps :)
Thank you so much for replying so quickly, and for sharing! I originally asked for my friend I mentioned above, just to see how she stacked up in the application process, but you actually ended up giving me hope for my own application. I only applied to one school also, and, like you, my stats for that school were just barely the average of what they typically accept. I figured being just "average" probably meant I didn't have that great of a chance of acceptance, but you've given me a small nugget of hope! I won't find out about my program for a few more weeks, but I'm sure you can still sympathize with how awful the waiting is. Congratulations again on your acceptance!

Thank you, buckeyeot! I applied in January and I barely made the deadline. It was not my intention to apply so late, but to be honest, it was a struggle getting the fee for the GRE and application together. The acceptance email didn't make mention of a deposit deadline, but it did say I'd get more information via regular mail so it will likely be in that.

You're welcome, OTisLOVE! I can definitely empathize with how awful the waiting is. I'm still in a bit of shock I was accepted and half feel like I'm going to wake up and realize I just dreamt it. You most certainly have a great chance! Don't lose hope. Consider that the average means that there are people accepted with stats that were lower and higher. If your stats match the average than you are a competitive applicant. Like you though, I'd have preferred to be way above the average, so I understand. As I am sure you know from reading this forum there are other factors taken into consideration such as essays, etc. It must be very difficult for those on these admission committees to decide between so many qualified applicants. I don't envy them the task.

I hope the next few weeks goes by quickly for you and you get your acceptance!

Thank you, buckeyeot! I applied in January and I barely made the deadline."

Congrats! Did you know that they extended the application deadline to the 24th? The only reason I know that is because one of my transcripts was late and I had to ask the program to keep my grad school application open. They didn't send out an email or post the extension to the website or anything....I thought that was weird.

Anyway.....I'm hoping they'll send out another round of acceptances and I'll get in. I'd really like to hear anything at this point, whether I'm on a waitlist or flat-out rejected....it will be nice for the wait to be at least somewhat over.

Last edited:
@J966

Also, do you mind if I ask why you only applied to one school? Your GPA probably would have gotten you in to UNC.

Last edited:
Thank you, Alruss! Yes, I do know they extended the application deadline. I am very happy they did because, like you, one of my transcripts was late. I had submitted the request well in advance of the deadline, but the school was closed for the holidays and when they returned they were swamped with transcript requests. When they did finally send the transcript it was never received at ECU. Thankfully, an assistant registrar at the school the late/missing transcript was from overnight expressed a copy of the transcript for me to ECU. If they hadn't extended the deadline (and if that person didn't express mail my transcript) my application likely would not have been reviewed. It was very frustrating to get so far only to find myself potentially derailed by something completely out of my control. I'm sure you felt the same. I was informed of the extended deadline by the person processing my application at the graduate school.

I couldn't afford to take the GRE until after the 2013 deadline for UNC, but if I didn't get into ECU I was planning on applying to UNC this year (I barely scrapped together the application fee for ECU on time). I am very happy with ECU though. I like what I've read about their program, and they had a 100% pass rate on the NBCOT for new graduates in 2010 and 2012. When factoring in 2011 exam results, the pass rate is 98.3%. That is pretty good! UNC's pass rate for the same three-year period is 97%. ECU must be doing something well. Additionally, if I am reading the tuition rates correctly (I am in state) ECU is significantly less expensive than UNC.

I know how frustrating the waiting is. It feels like everything is on hold until you know definitively one way or another. It makes it difficult to plan for the immediate future. I hope you hear something soon. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure ECU is the least expensive in NC. I got into a little private school in TN that's only an hour away from Asheville, so the waiting isn't too bad....I have a spot somewhere! It would be nice to not pay private school tuition though.

I know the school you are referring to. Seems like a nice school. Really nice area. I'm agnostic (although spiritual if that makes sense), so barring divine intervention I wasn't going to get into there no matter what my gpa!