Navy Dual Mil HPSP/HSCP HCA residency questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanderingDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
xxxxxxxxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello All!

Navy HPSPer here entering my 4th year. My spouse and I are dual mil as she is receiving the HSCP for HCA. She is set to graduate at the same time as I and we hope to be placed together or relatively close. I have two questions:

1. Will the fact that she will need to placed as an HCA at one of the BIG 3 help or have any bearing on where I may match for residency? I am hoping for Portsmouth EM but, I have also convinced myself that the GMO route will not be all that bad.

2. Does anyone have any specific knowledge as to where most Navy Healthcare-types send their high-school aged kids to school at any of these 3 installations?

Thanks for all the valuable info Ive been able to glean off this site!

WDO

1) It will not affect your chances of getting straight through training, if that is what you are asking. That process is independent of your spouse. I think they should place you in the same big 3 hospital as her for Internship, but I'm not sure if that's actually a rule.. After that they are required to co-locate you, so if you are in Portsmouth and are selected for a GMO tour then they will place you somewhere that is at least somewhat near her.

2) Can't help.

What is an HCA, BTW? I don't recognize the acronym and google says 'health care assistant' which can't be right. Is the 'A' administrator, like MSC? Is that really only at the big 3?

Reactions: 1 user