Drug allergies- weird flags by the system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Why does computer flags as major interaction to Percocet in patients allergic to cephalexin?
or
allergy to penicillins computer says Prednisone is a major interaction?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like your computer is broken

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Some of these "interactions" are manually entered by humans so you can't trust all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if you are taking about the WAG system, but that system will flag if patient is listed as allergic to a certain product and if the product you are trying to dispense has the same inactive ingredient (dyes, etc.)

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Common ingredients like dye will trigger an "allergy" in completely different drugs. But isn't percocet white? At least the generics are, so I'm not sure that is the case with your allergy. But generally, if I see a bizarre allergy match, that I know there is no cross-allergy between, I assume it's reacting off the dye.

I get so pissed off at half of the hard stops in CVS's system that I occasionally go out of my way to insult whoever the hell put the alert in the system in the DUR reconciliation screen. I know they don't read any of it, but Jesus these people are stupid. Like who's the dip**** that made taking 1/2 a 40mg atorvastatin a day come up as a low dose hard stop? Dummy, 20mg is a perfectly normal dose. Stop wasting my damn time.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I get so pissed off at half of the hard stops in CVS's system that I occasionally go out of my way to insult whoever the hell put the alert in the system in the DUR reconciliation screen. I know they don't read any of it, but Jesus these people are stupid. Like who's the dip**** that made taking 1/2 a 40mg atorvastatin a day come up as a low dose hard stop? Dummy, 20mg is a perfectly normal dose. Stop wasting my damn time.

Its all about covering their a-ses...

thank you guys! I really appreciate it!

I agree with the atorvastatin thing but to be fair the patient information from the manufacturer explicitly says “Do not break atorvastatin before taking”One could interpret that as don’t split the tab, so a half tab might be considered inappropriate to some academic.

Not saying it’s not BS... I think it is. But maybe the source CVS uses is basing a lot of their content of manufacturer labeling. Wonder if this is a medispan problem or something.