DPT CSU Long Beach Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoftTissueIsNotMassaging

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
wfvVgra.png

I was wondering about the GRE scores. I know a lot of people on these forums say that if you do not meet the minimum stated, they wont look at your application. I emailed long beach asking them and they said its a recommendation to look competitive and not a requirement.

So my question is has anybody gotten into CSU long beach or know of somebody that gotten into long beach with GRE scores below the minimum recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good question. I will be curious to see answers from others.

I know the SFSU/UCSF program recommends above the 50th percentile for both quantitative/verbal and 4.5 (or above) for analytical writing. Like CSULB, those scores are not required, but recommended.

I would be curious to hear from anyone who got into the UCSF/SFSU program with GRE scores slightly below the recommended range too.

I just was accepted to CSULB early decision with GRE scores barely above the cut.... However, the rest of my stats were above average.

GRE Score
Q: 151 45th percentile
V: 154 61st percentile
W: 4

Hello all!

I was wondering about the GRE scores. I know a lot of people on these forums say that if you do not meet the minimum stated, they wont look at your application. I emailed long beach asking them and they said its a recommendation to look competitive and not a requirement.

So my question is has anybody gotten into CSU long beach or know of somebody that gotten into long beach with GRE scores below the minimum recommendation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just was accepted to CSULB early decision with GRE scores barely above the cut.... However, the rest of my stats were above average.

GRE Score

GRE Score

May I ask what the rest of your grades were?

May I ask what the rest of your grades were?

Overall gpa 3.56 (Little low because I did my undergrad in theatre, didn't try very hard with that, however my prerecs are nearly all As)
prerec gpa 3.8
LOR: physio prof, 2 DPT, and previous employer
Observation hours: 2000+ outpatient ortho (I've been working as a PT aide for the last 2.5 years), and 500 Home Health
I've also been a yoga teacher for the last 7 years, which I think contributed as well.

Last edited:
My roommate got into Long Beach DPT, he's a second year now. Average GRE for quant and verbal, but got 4.5 on the essay. He tells me some of his classmates got below average GRE scores around 135. But some made up for it in extracurricular and their volunteer and work experiences. Some people don't test well for standardize tests, that's why there also use GPA, LOR, Essay, Hours and Interviews to figure everything out about an applicant. I do know that LB does not Interview and take the Essay very seriously when considering a student. It's their only way of giving a personality to each application.

It's really tough to figure out what each school is looking for in their applicants, but the best way to find out is to ask their department directly!