Doximity determining rank list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoxyOrDilli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With residency programs not having a lot of information online what role do you think the Doximity Rank lists should have on rank lists? Of course interactions with residents would cary a lot of weight but is Dox good for determining "prestige" for programs (like surgery)? It seems like the "Name" of certain programs can go a long way when it comes to pursuing academic medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not gonna lie, it helped me choose which programs I applied to but definitely did not use it to rank. Some of the "top" programs of doximity felt terrible with miserable looking residents and I feel like I would have hated to match there. I obviously don't know what it's like to be a resident at any other program than mine.

Reactions: 1 user
The gestalt I've seen from our wise residents on SDN is that there's almost black and white divide: a good deal of skepticism about the value of Doximity, OR, it's a useful gauge.

I don't believe you. The question that USNews asks in its surveys for hospital ranking is about clinical care. The question that Doximity asks in its surveys for program ranking is about training.

I just received a message today from our CMO and CQO asking all the faculty to update our doximity profiles because it improves our US News ranking due to Dox playing a role in how 27.5% of the USNWR score is determined. The reward for updating your profile is a raffle for football tickets (OSU vs Michigan). the department with the greatest number of updates will get catered lunch, and your Chair and Division directors are notified of your update status. so yeah. Dox feeds USNWR

Reactions: 2 users
I just received a message today from our CMO and CQO asking all the faculty to update our doximity profiles because it improves our US News ranking due to Dox playing a role in how 27.5% of the USNWR score is determined. The reward for updating your profile is a raffle for football tickets (OSU vs Michigan). the department with the greatest number of updates will get catered lunch, and your Chair and Division directors are notified of your update status. so yeah. Dox feeds USNWR

Which program are you at?
Im just amazed that your program practices positive reinforcement (lunch for updates) instead of negative feedback (take extra calls, negative evals, suspension)!

Which program are you at?
Im just amazed that your program practices positive reinforcement (lunch for updates) instead of negative feedback (take extra calls, negative evals, suspension)!

Here's a little secret... every program, and I mean EVERY program, does this. I don't know about positive versus negative reinforcement... but we are told it is "strongly encouraged" which means you'd better do it less you want to not be in favorite with people up the food chain.

Here's a little secret... every program, and I mean EVERY program, does this. I don't know about positive versus negative reinforcement... but we are told it is "strongly encouraged" which means you'd better do it less you want to not be in favorite with people up the food chain.

Not sure who is the confused one here, me or you.

You can keep your secret though.

USNWR surveys Doximity members and a sample of non-Doximity members, using stats to make sure votes are not overrepresented just for being a Doximity member. Doximity wants your execs to think otherwise, but it's not true.

Isn't everyone a member on doximity? They put me on it without my permission or knowledge

The usnews hospital rankings are stupid and I've been to most of them. The hospital rankings aren't even relevant to us for our purposes.

With residency programs not having a lot of information online what role do you think the Doximity Rank lists should have on rank lists? Of course interactions with residents would cary a lot of weight but is Dox good for determining "prestige" for programs (like surgery)? It seems like the "Name" of certain programs can go a long way when it comes to pursuing academic medicine.

I think at the top(top 10-20), the doximity ranks are somewhat accurate for prestige. But they become more inaccurate as you move down the list.

So, if you are interested in academics, I'd say it can help if you are talking about the top of the list and not so much at the bottom. However, choosing between doximity number 1 vs number 5 vs 10 probably doesn't matter that much since it is still subjective in nature...

On a side note speaking to academics, many places (including universities, medical centers, departments within those centers) use the Blue Ridge rankings as a measure of academics based on total NIH funding. Of course like all rankings, there are flaws in the metrics (NIH may rank a university different from a medical center, even the faculty appointments are joint and research occurs at both), but anyway, there is another ranking system.

http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/NIH_Awards.htm

But one should never put too much faith in one particular ranking systems. The top programs are usually, more or less, the top programs among all the ranking systems, the middle are the middle, etc. In the end, the ranking should not determine what is the right program as far training. Likewise, one's career success in academics is much more dependent on individual achievements and not so much on where they trained.

Last edited: