MD & DO Do's and Don't's of scrub attire as a med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Just wanted some insight from current med students, residents, and/or attendings regarding scrub attire as a med student. Not just obvious things like not wearing a different color scrub top and bottom, but also things that would warrant nurses, residents, and attendings from talking **** about you. For example, I've heard that it's cringey to have your name embroidered on your scrub top unless you're an attending.

1. Thoughts on scrub joggers (form-fitting) as a male med student? I like the look, but does it look stupid to others in medicine?

2. Thoughts on FIGS? With all the criticism they've been getting in the media, am I making any kind of statement by wearing them? I literally only have them since they're super comfortable and look super nice. For anatomy labs, I have multiple pairs of cheap hospital scrubs, but my FIGS I was thinking of wearing in the clinical setting.

3. Scrubs while shadowing: yay or nay? I've only worn business casual (button up shirt and khaki pants) when I've shadowed in undergrad, but scrubs are WAY more comfortable lol.

Anything else I haven't mentioned?

Members don't see this ad.

MS4 opinion here so defer to other respondents that have spent more time in hospitals/residency and stuff.

Medicine is a conservative profession. If you want to be safe, I would wear historically normal scrubs, which are somewhat loose-fitting. I think joggers look dumb but plenty of people seem to wear them in my hospital and I have heard no convos criticizing them.

I own 1 pair of Figs as well. They are the best fitting and most comfortable I have tried. There is a little bit of a reputation around them being bougie/expensive in my experience. You can remove the branding pretty easily, and people likely won't notice. It is easily done, and probably overkill.

I would defer to business casual while shadowing and if it's a multi-day thing, just ask the attending! I would avoid ever wearing anything other than business casual/formal or scrubs, even if your attending shows up in a wife beater and short shorts.

Reactions: 1 users
Also MS4 -

- don't get your name embroidered, it's kinda cringey and why spend extra money on that
- I personally don't like scrubs joggers for myself but I think other people look fine in them. I have occasionally heard people make judgy comments on them though (in general, not directed at a specific person).
- Figs are completely ubiquitous in all of the hospitals I've rotated in (which is many). I have a couple pairs of figs that I just rotated through all year - for me, it was worth the investment since I feel like a frumpy blob in hospital scrubs. They've held up well to a lot of constant washing and rewearing. I only ever had one attending comment on the various figs scandals and they still gave me a good eval despite wearing them lol.
- just ask the person you're shadowing what their preference is - in my experience. scrubs are usually fine in the hospital, clinics may want business attire, but its always best just to ask.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I own Figs and theyre the jogger style. I think they look nice.

For shadowing you should probably wear business casual attire. Just my opinion.

Best doctors I have seen/known always wore hospital scrubs... just sayin'...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Figs Scrubs/Joggers kind look dope as hell. I wear them when im not going into the OR because hospital policy is to wear only hospital-issued scrubs. Other than that I rock my joggers and dont care what anyone else thinks about it. Dont let the haters get to you, they just looking for something to dislike. Also my current resident is a DO woman who rightfully expressed that she doesnt like Figs because of the recent marketing mishaps that happened. That didnt stop me from rocking my joggers!

Reactions: 2 users
Wear whatever scrubs are comfortable for you. Med students have enough lines to toe, and something as superficial as brand of scrubs doesn’t have to be one of them.

Just don’t do the name thing, IMO. I did it as a fresh attending, but I don’t anymore. That’s what our IDs are for.

In terms of shadowing, I’d just try to mirror what the rest of the team wears. Wear business casual the first day, then adjust appropriately.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted some insight from current med students, residents, and/or attendings regarding scrub attire as a med student. Not just obvious things like not wearing a different color scrub top and bottom, but also things that would warrant nurses, residents, and attendings from talking **** about you. For example, I've heard that it's cringey to have your name embroidered on your scrub top unless you're an attending.

1. Thoughts on scrub joggers (form-fitting) as a male med student? I like the look, but does it look stupid to others in medicine?

2. Thoughts on FIGS? With all the criticism they've been getting in the media, am I making any kind of statement by wearing them? I literally only have them since they're super comfortable and look super nice. For anatomy labs, I have multiple pairs of cheap hospital scrubs, but my FIGS I was thinking of wearing in the clinical setting.

3. Scrubs while shadowing: yay or nay? I've only worn business casual (button up shirt and khaki pants) when I've shadowed in undergrad, but scrubs are WAY more comfortable lol.

1. I'm not examining the scrub brand names preferred by medical students - so, I have no comment concerning the scrub joggers.

2. I use the traditional hospital scrubs supplied by AMC and have been doing that for a long time. So do my residents and MSTP peeps. If AMC decides to issue scrubs with embroidery (e.g., name of AMC and Department), I use them, too. The AMC is responsible for cleaning and super-sanitizing everything - so that makes things easy. In clinical practice or research lab, I can wear whatever I want to wear (civvies or scrubs).

3. Suggest you wear business attire when shadowing - unless the doc wants you to wear something else. Ask the doc what they would prefer you to wear as a shadowing student - civvies or scrubs. They'll let you know.

Now that I know I'm going into EM, a field where I will be wearing scrubs every day, I invested in 5 pairs of figs like a psycho but, I love them (comfy, look cute instead of looking like a child playing dress up when i swim in the hospital scrubs) and I dont have laundry in my building so, I have no shame about my 5 pairs. I see people in joggers too and it looks fine.

As for the name embroidery, I definitely wouldn't do that. I have my name on my patagonia and I regret it because is one year, I have this med student patagonia with no MD after it and it looks funny.

Shadowing - very dependent on what field you are shadowing in. COVID has made scrubs much more acceptable in clinical settings but I am seeing outpatient offices/primary care shift back to business casual. If it were me, I would honestly just ask the physician you are shadowing when you are setting up the shadowing session

Please don’t embroider your name on your scrubs. Also keep in mind that on some rotations you may not have the option to wear your own scrubs. So buying a bunch of expensive scrubs might not be worth it. Where you can wear your own, the joggers are fine. People wear them and they look okay. Imo, figs are highly overpriced. I’ve gotten really comfortable scrubs with tons of pockets on Amazon for like $25.

Please don’t embroider your name on your scrubs. Also keep in mind that on some rotations you may not have the option to wear your own scrubs. So buying a bunch of expensive scrubs might not be worth it. Where you can wear your own, the joggers are fine. People wear them and they look okay. Imo, figs are highly overpriced. I’ve gotten really comfortable scrubs with tons of pockets on Amazon for like $25.
What type did you end up going with?

While it may seem awesome to have your name embroidered on scrubs, the appeal of it fades quickly once you get blood, vomit, urine, etc. on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should embroider it as Dr. Medical Student, Phd, MS, Bsc to assert dominance.

Reactions: 4 users
It's honestly sort of beyond me why anyone would pay for scrubs. That's from someone who wears them all day every day and has never had a single pair fit ever. Especially as a med student, I'd save the cash. Form-fitting scrubs sound weird, but whatever works, I guess. I don't think I've ever seen those before. As a short, squat dude, skinny jeans and the like turn me into a sausage, so "form-fitting" items and I are not friends.

Reactions: 6 users
Hospital scrubs all day, everyday

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
If you're shadowing in a clinic you will want to go business casual/formal unless the physician tells you otherwise.

If you're going to see a surgery then the hospital staff will likely make you wear their scrubs (hospital dependent)!

Figs look way better than hospital scrubs, but just seem cringe to me for med students to wear. I wear the hospital scrubs.

I think jogger scrubs are fine.

I got some figs and they're dope. I only wear them where they won't get all messy (that's what my hospital scrubs are for). I also have an embroidered pair - literally didn't make a big deal in my (and honestly a lot of people) opinion

Business casual for shadowing - unless the doc says scrubs are fine (or you're in the OR lol)

As for the name embroidery, I definitely wouldn't do that. I have my name on my patagonia and I regret it because is one year, I have this med student patagonia with no MD after it and it looks funny.
probably like $5 and/or a latte to get someone with an embroidery machine to hook you up

Now that I know I'm going into EM, a field where I will be wearing scrubs every day, I invested in 5 pairs of figs like a psycho but, I love them (comfy, look cute instead of looking like a child playing dress up when i swim in the hospital scrubs) and I dont have laundry in my building so, I have no shame about my 5 pairs. I see people in joggers too and it looks fine.
Same on ED and now owning 6 figs. Wore them every day on the away rotation. No problems. I feel like I do worse in loose non-figs with weird pockets tbh

Lol scrubs exist to catch blood, bile, urine and feces. I rocked hospital scrubs all through medicine residency when on service, every day except clinics during gi fellowship, and as an attending I have scrubs provided from my endo center that I rock all day every day as I make hospital rounds and do in office hemorrhoid bandings. Why would I pay money for a basically disposable clothing article designed to get disgusting?

General rules:

1) See what other people are doing. Do that.

2) I generally don't have a problem with jogger-style scrubs. "Old-school" attendings might. I think they generally look nice and professional - nicer than the generic, poorly fitting scrubs that hospitals issue to their employees. That said, your hospital may have policies that require you to use hospital-issued scrubs for infection prevention purposes. No one is going to be impressed that you're wearing Figs, so only get them if you feel the need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on them.

3) Don't get your name embroidered on your scrubs, as others have mentioned. Highly likely to be perceived as pretentious.

4) If you're unsure about expectations or what's appropriate, you can't go wrong with business attire for the first day and adapt accordingly. If you're unsure what is required or needed, as the attending/resident that you're working with and go from there.

It’s so funny to me that people think residents and attendings care so much about what others are wearing. I’d never judge a med student on what they were wearing as long as it was appropriate for the clinical setting. I found some nice pair of cherokee scrubs that have the perfect sleeve length and amount of pockets I like so I bought them. If someone else showed up with something embroidered, good for them. I don’t care what people spend their money on as long as it doesn’t impact me negatively.

i think we have a lot more to worry about than how much money our colleagues spend/don’t spend on clothes

People who care about "fit" in their scrubs are odd to me. Why does that matter, who are you trying to impress? I dont think anyone wants to look more attractive to the 60 year old drunk.

Figs seem to definitely be a resident/nurse thing at my institution. I havent seen any attending wear those.

People who care about "fit" in their scrubs are odd to me. Why does that matter, who are you trying to impress? I dont think anyone wants to look more attractive to the 60 year old drunk.

Figs seem to definitely be a resident/nurse thing at my institution. I havent seen any attending wear those.

Why do you assume it’s about impressing anyone? Scrubs that fit well are more comfortable.

Reactions: 13 users
I’m an internal medicine resident right now.
Brand: FIGS are ridiculously soft and pretty much every resident here has a pair. They’re pretty much the same price as a good pair of Dickies, but they fit much more comfortably. If everyone is wearing hospital scrubs, though, just use the hospital scrubs if you’re worried about standing out.
Style: Not only does everyone have FIGS, but they all wear the jogger style. Half the guys in our program are rocking the jogger style. I personally prefer the traditional style, but it really comes down to whatever makes your comfortable. No one really cares that much.
Color: you’re safe with navy and black. Make sure you know what color each specialty wears (here, nursing students wear green, so when I showed up in green scrubs, everyone thought I was a student). Most surgery services have light blue or mint, which you can get away with. Just stay away from the Mickey Mouse scrub tops.
Embroidery: No. Super bougie unless you’re an attending.
Shadowing: unless they’ve told you to wear scrubs, you’re safer just wearing business and your white coat.

Whoever you get scrubs, make sure you try to find a sale or a discount code/coupon online. I suggest investing in a good pair because you’ll be wearing them all the time.

Scrub policy and tradition is institution dependent. What would be acceptable at one place might be offensive at another.

Branded scrubs that fit are more for vain nurses making a fashion statement than medical students or physicians. (Although plastics and derm folks tend to go for that look).

Personally, I would eye roll a male medical student that showed up on my service in branded, fitted scrubs.

My advice as an attending?
Wear whatever the OR provides in a manner consistent with your institutional norms and worry about making a good impression based on your work ethic, knowledge, and clinical acumen and not your fashion choice.

Why do you assume it’s about impressing anyone? Scrubs that fit well are more comfortable.
I hate hospital scrubs since i walk on the pants because theyre too long and im constantly needing to pull the pants up because they like to fall down.

Yep, totally wanna impress people by hiding my booty from the world lolol

I judge medical students based on the number of pockets their scrubs have. More pockets = less respect.

• Love
  • Haha
Wear whatever scrubs are comfortable for you. Med students have enough lines to toe, and something as superficial as brand of scrubs doesn’t have to be one of them.

Just don’t do the name thing, IMO. I did it as a fresh attending, but I don’t anymore. That’s what our IDs are for.

In terms of shadowing, I’d just try to mirror what the rest of the team wears. Wear business casual the first day, then adjust appropriately.
I’m starting dental school and while I would agree with the consensus here to not do names, this school actually requires that we have names embroidered on.
Wondering how that may look to the rest of the scrub-wearing professions haha?

I’m starting dental school and while I would agree with the consensus here to not do names, this school actually requires that we have names embroidered on.

I suspect in that case most of the people you’ll be around are used to seeing that.

Same at our school. DDS students - color coded scrubs with embroidered name. PA students - color coded scrubs. Nursing students - color coded scrubs with school logo. MD students - old wrinkled scrubs jacked from OR, VA, wherever… wouldn’t want it any other way though :)

• Love

Bottom line is you should dress with business casual and wear your white coat unless your attending tells you not to. Don’t ask for permission to wear anything different. As far as what scrubs are acceptable when you are allowed to... Well, It’s ridiculous to think you could be judged based upon the brand/style of scrubs you wear. Safest bet is just wear the surgical scrubs if you’re on a surgery service or just read the room. Generally speaking, no one cares about that and it shouldn’t affect an evaluation in the end.

I’ve been a resident, fellow ( a few times) and an attending.
No one cares what you wear as long as it is appropriate.
- Dress as if you are going to work:
(If you wear popping colors - people will stare) ; avoid
- At least for me my goal was to blend in the background
- specific colors it depends on the hospital
Ie some respiratory therapists wear sky blue
ICU nurses wear maroon etc

Fail proof colors are black and grey
- too tight clothing isn’t good either

Idk why people care of you embroider your name it doesn’t matter but again I would t do it because it would increase the chance of me being called on🤣

Idk why people care of you embroider your name it doesn’t matter but again I would t do it because it would increase the chance of me being called on🤣
Sometimes in the ED, it's much better if people do not know your name...

I’m definitely the oddball here.

I have some neat, geometric pattern scrub tops that I love, and I’m wearing them. Also some galaxy-type print, some gradient print, things like that. (No, I am not kidding). My only hang up is floral patterns; I have not and will not ever wear floral scrubs. I have had people offer to write me strong letters, tell me I’m doing awesome, that I’m great with patients, etc., while wearing these scrubs… and the only comment I’ve ever gotten on my scrubs is “those are cool.” It’s going to be culture dependent, but I have had zero trouble with crazy pattern scrubs.

I’m going to hang them up and go back to business casual for auditions (unfortunately), but the second they give me an inch in residency, I’m going back to my crazy pattern scrubs. They’re 100x more comfortable than the scratchy hospital scrubs that might as well give you carpet burn, and they are the exact same price as solid color scrubs of the same brands, so it’s not like it’s a status symbol when you’re spending the exact same amount of money for them. They make me happy, and they make my patients smile, and I care way more about those two things than what anyone else thinks.

Odds are, if someone shows me they actually care about what clothing I decide to wear when it’s within the dress code, I just found an easy way to ID a pompous jerk that I would prefer not to associate with anyway.

If you’re wearing the scrubs into the OR, only wear hospital provided scrubs. And don’t wear them out of the hospital. It’s gross.

Really? Most comfortable scrubs I have worn are the generic baggy surgical scrubs that come out of our machine. I guess for some a tighter fitting jogger is more comfortable?

Really? Most comfortable scrubs I have worn are the generic baggy surgical scrubs that come out of our machine. I guess for some a tighter fitting jogger is more comfortable?
as a shorter person with a bit of curve, my hospital scrub options are basically:
a) correct length of pants, barely fits on my butt, afraid of bursting a seam and showing the world my undies
b) comfortable butt, pants dragging on the floor, waist is too loose so I have to tie the drawstring uncomfortably tight
c) fits literally nowhere and probably has several concerning mystery stains
Half the time the fabric is scratchy and gives me a rash

Even though fancy scrubs tend to be more "fitted", the butt-to-leg-length ratio is usually way closer to what I need. Different people will probably have different brands that work well for their shape. some lucky people can fit well in hospital scrubs but i am not one.

Figs are way too expensive not to be stretchy!!!

Dickies makes the best scrubs. No trendy figs needed.