Don't got the grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopdizzle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soothe my pain... I'm a 3rd year med student who just got his Medicine grade back and it was a "Pass," not even a "High Pass." Worse yet, all I've gotten have been P's all through medical school. Hopefully Surgery will treat me better. Will I be able to get in somewhere... were you residents on here this worried? ENT is my passion, and the only thing I really like in medicine.

School: Cornell
Grades: All P's (let's assume they all will be)
USMLE: 240

Publications: 1 basic science first author on squamous cell in the J of Dermatology, one case report first author in Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surg, one case report first author in the Ear, Nose, and Throat Journal, one book chapter on Choanal Atresia with an ENT at Columbia.

Conferences: European Cancer Conference, several Cornell research symposia.

What else can balance my ailing grades?

Members don't see this ad.

You should get a number of interviews with your research and that decent Step I score. Just keep working on each rotation, one at a time. My tips for getting a HP or honors: don't be annoying, get up early and stay late, read up on your patients, and never ask for time off. You should eventually get at least an HP with that ethic. Getting honors requires a little luck, too. I got a "pass" on my first oto rotation. Don't worry too much.

Hey Snoop,
You have plenty of time to get the political contacts. With good connections and what you have now, you have more than a shot. Get busy and get known to your home department chair. If you have the interest, you can get some good connections, do an audition rotation and get a match. Good luck!
njbmd :)

Do two away rotations at places with well known and well liked chairmen that you also might like to attend for residency.
Get a letter from one or both by being a perfect visiting student (see advice posted earlier.) Its tough to impress on an away but try, because letters help get more interviews. I had lots of P's but got lots of plastics interviews with this strategy.