Don’t do podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Podiatry should have remained a small, non-surgical, mid level profession on par with nursing and physician assistant.

edit: Chiropodists were physicians. Podiatry should have remained non-surgical and on par with dentistry. We are not MD or DO equivalents.

Its interesting how some people read this negatively. I read this as a positive spin. Imagine that there are almost no podiatrists and those straight forward trivial, lobster things we crush in the office are just paid at the kind of rates where you put the money in your pocket and go home.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Its interesting how some people read this negatively. I read this as a positive spin. Imagine that there are almost no podiatrists and those straight forward trivial, lobster things we crush in the office are just paid at the kind of rates where you put the money in your pocket and go home.
Yeah, I read it same.

There absolutely was a time when podiatry was no residency, corns and calluses, pads and injects, nails and warts, stretching shoes and rubbing on balms, doing 100% outpatient (or ECF) work. Most DPMs wouldn't - and couldn't - be on hospital staff or do surgery. That was not as long ago as ppl think! Sure, they were technically "doctors" by virtue of doctorate degree and doing healthcare, but basically paid like nurses.

That was before any of us were alive, but that chiropody lasted awhile.. still going that way in some countries.

...I think the point is just be careful what you wish for. It's just like those podiatrists now who go into the VA or small rural hospital that sends output f/u heel pain or ingrowns...and tell ER and hospitalists to call them on all injuries or foot infection. Ok, they're "evolving," but some DPMs wanted that 8-4 forefoot surgery or non-op gig... that new guy just changed forever.

I say it all the time, but we missed a golden opportunity to have general and surgical DPMs. If we had, the non-op wouldn't be failing boards and in tons of debt, and the surgical would have much better training, income, volume, jobs than they do. :)

Reactions: 1 user
1. Majority of my loans are gone because of PSLF. I still have my private loans and her loans to pay off. I want to say we have 100k total left down from 400 plus. I spent 8 years in a rural setting. I live about 4 hours from my hometown/state/county. At one point I was 6 hours away. I am now non surgical. However I never wanted to be surgical. I finally got a job in the suburbs and it was a university job that isn't surgical. I have surgical privileges at the hospital but I don't plan on expanding the role into a surgical role. Maybe someone else would. I didn't even take the job because it was non surgical. My wife was done with rural and she wanted better schools for the kids.

2. I started at 150 stayed at the level for 5 years, left and took a job at 240ish I was there for 3 years and now I am at my current job at 230ish. This job has promotion opportunities, and regular salary increases because of the union. Well salary increases for the professor part of my salary. I am not leaving this job.

3. I did not go in planning to be a high end surgeon so I was not disappoint by not being a high end surgeon. My goal was to be home and I am not. Overall the money is too good to quit now and we are finally settling down 9 years post residency. Hopefully we are settling, we just moved again but within the county we live in. Next step is to buy the "forever" house in a place we both don't really care for but has good schools for our kids.

Finally a post that would actually be useful to pre pods. Too bad most podiatrists I know who are happy and would be good mentors wouldn’t have the time or bandwidth to post on these forums.

• Okay...
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally a post that would actually be useful to pre pods. Too bad most podiatrists I know who are happy and would be good mentors wouldn’t have the time or bandwidth to post on these forums.
I’m not sure my experience is helpful it’s a not positive experience. But it’s not negative either.

Last edited:
That pic was bugging me out I thought it was an Sdn ad lol

corns and calluses, pads and injects, nails and warts, stretching shoes and rubbing on balms
Insurance denies coverage on more than half of these things unless you have very selective criteria or are a pure cash pay joint, so maybe it's best that these don't define our profession anymore...

Um PLEASE do this Feli. PM News needs more satire trolling that then is responded to by a bunch of mouth-breathing mustache pods who don't understand satire so respond completely seriously

Satire is fun.

But is that what SDN is all about? Derailing every thread into a satirical, self-loathing, pity party of anonymous anecdote?

• Dislike
Internet message boards, including SDN, are specifically designed for spreading anonymous anecdotes.

Personally I don't loathe or pity myself, but we're mature enough to admit that we F-ed up, and we don't want to see a young person with a world of opportunities open to them make our mistakes.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Internet message boards, including SDN, are specifically designed for spreading anonymous anecdotes.

Personally I don't loathe or pity myself, but we're mature enough to admit that we F-ed up, and we don't want to see a young person with a world of opportunities open to them make our mistakes.
Why would I loathe or pity myself... I am my ancestors' wildest dreams. I have no interest in seeing my descendants following in my foot steps they need to do better.

Satire is fun.

But is that what SDN is all about? Derailing every thread into a satirical, self-loathing, pity party of anonymous anecdote?

There is nothing satirical about the truth. Once again, your current affiliations drive you to continue to seek the unnecessary glut of students to further your career with complete disregard for the perils that they will almost assuredly encounter after completion of residency - podiatry’s awful job market. I will say that a majority of the posters here certainly are not self-loathing and some make even more than you do without being mainly restricted to rotting diabetic feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.