dog question for you vets. out there-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey. i figured id ask you guys this question, as i always see this forum as i frequent the dental one (im in dental school). anyway, my dog is a 12 yr. old yellow labrador retriever. he REFUSES to eat his regular dry and canned dog food, and is getting skinny. hes definitely slowed down. he will ONLY eat CERTAIN (not all) human foods. lately, weve been giving him boiled chicken breast or pork, some rice, some broccolli and thats it. what is a healthy HUMAN food diet that he can eat which will give him most of the essential dog nutrients that he needs? THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS

Members don't see this ad.

The vets that I work for recommend a diet that is great for dogs with upset stomachs. I know your dog does not have an upset stomach but if your dog must eat human food, this is a good diet. Give your dog some baked or boiled chicken breasts, some rice and some cottage cheese. This has a lot of nutrients in it. My grandpa even feeds this diet to his dog. Ever since he got her as a pup she would not touch her dog food and this is the diet that he found that worked. He consulted his vet first to make sure that this was an ok diet and he said yes. Before giving any kind of human food you should always consult with your vet. You might want to have your dog checked out anyway because there could be an underlying medical problem that you might not know about. It could also be that he's been spoiled with human food, so he won't eat dog food anymore. Anyway, I wish you luck in finding the right diet for your dog.

DBB said:
hey. i figured id ask you guys this question, as i always see this forum as i frequent the dental one (im in dental school). anyway, my dog is a 12 yr. old yellow labrador retriever. he REFUSES to eat his regular dry and canned dog food, and is getting skinny. hes definitely slowed down. he will ONLY eat CERTAIN (not all) human foods. lately, weve been giving him boiled chicken breast or pork, some rice, some broccolli and thats it. what is a healthy HUMAN food diet that he can eat which will give him most of the essential dog nutrients that he needs? THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS

I would recommend the Atkins Diet or preferably the South Beach Diet. Or you can just get him fat by buying the dog some cheeseburgers and Big Macs! :thumbup:

I'm not a vet...but when my dog got old he couldn't eat his hard food b/c it hurt his teeth...are yer dog's teeth okay? That's just my opinion...My dog (RIP) got kinda spooiled...we fed him leftovers everyday...he loved human food, hated vegetables and didn't care too much for hard food either...