Does small IM residency in a small community university affiliated hospital mean lower quality of training for hospitalist work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverDO

Medcraving
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I matched to an IM program which only has 3 residents per year in a community hospital with only 200 beds. The only perk about this program is we have the option to do most of the electives/ subspecialties at our main site that's a top 3 hospital in the nation. I'm wondering would the small hospital affect my inpatient and ICU training negatively? if so, is there anyway I can max my training quality? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys I unfortunately matched to my #6 IM program which only has 3 residents per year in a community hospital with only 200 beds. The only perk about this program is we have the option to do most of the electives/ subspecialties at our main site that's a top 3 hospital in the nation. I'm wondering would the small hospital affect my inpatient and ICU training negatively? if so, is there anyway I can max my training quality? Thanks in advance!

If you are asking with the thought of being a hospitalist, you should be able to get the needed exposure as far as bread and butter including ICU. It would be reasonable to do electives at the tertiary/quaternary site to get experience in the other things like heme/onc, hepatology, transplant medicine etc

Reactions: 2 users
3 per year is wild in IM.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just do ICU electives at the main hospital. Depending on the level of subspecialty services (eg interventional cards, CT surgery, skilled general surgeons, nephrologists for CRRT) your ICU may run more like a stepdown unit in a hospital that size or it may be a real ICU hard to generalize.

Reactions: 3 users
If this is a program a/w a certain clinic, my understanding is that even the main campus residents don't have much autonomy due to fellow presence. You may actually be better off since your hospital will see more bread and butter.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I unfortunately matched to my #6 IM program which only has 3 residents per year in a community hospital with only 200 beds. The only perk about this program is we have the option to do most of the electives/ subspecialties at our main site that's a top 3 hospital in the nation. I'm wondering would the small hospital affect my inpatient and ICU training negatively? if so, is there anyway I can max my training quality? Thanks in advance!
No it will enhance it. You will be given more autonomy. 3 residents/PGY at a 200 bed hospital is excellent training. At a given time, I would estimate 33% of those beds are IM patients so that's about 66 patients for IM. I assume there may be some midlevel and non-academic support but that's 9 IM residents (and I assume 3 teams) for a solid number of patients.

If you're interested in fellowship, disregard gunning for an internal spot. Talk to the people at the hospital you're affilitated with and network through there.

Reactions: 1 users
No it will enhance it. You will be given more autonomy. 3 residents/PGY at a 200 bed hospital is excellent training. At a given time, I would estimate 33% of those beds are IM patients so that's about 66 patients for IM. I assume there may be some midlevel and non-academic support but that's 9 IM residents (and I assume 3 teams) for a solid number of patients.

If you're interested in fellowship, disregard gunning for an internal spot. Talk to the people at the hospital you're affilitated with and network through there.
Exactly what I was going to write. Going to a big name place doesn't necessarily mean good training. Higher volume with attendings that care to teach get you further than just a big name

If this is a program a/w a certain clinic, my understanding is that even the main campus residents don't have much autonomy due to fellow presence. You may actually be better off since your hospital will see more bread and butter.
Probably Cleveland Clinic South Pointe. You will be competing not just 60 something main campus grads but also peeps from Akron general and Fairview.

If this program is affliated with CCF and you want to work in Cleveland as hospitalist, DM me

It’s very straightforward, the more complex inpatients you are exposed to within training, the better off you will be coming out as an attending.

I work as a hospitalist at a hospital with 200+ beds as my main site.
And if I trained primarily here as a resident I know I would have a lesser and underpowered background versus a program that gave you urban tertiary/quartenary hospital +/- some community / VA hospital(s)

Not saying you aren’t getting adequate training only at a small hospital. Just saying it’s not going to be as good, all other things being equal.

For you, getting as much ICU time at the “top 3 hospital” as possible would help.

Guys... This thread is over a year old..

Status
Not open for further replies.