MD Does research need to be in your speciality of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wimby2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming MS1 here. Looking at the match data, it looks like a lot of successful applicants had multiple pubs/posters etc. When applying for residencies, how important is it to have relevant research? Do publications in general strengthen your app, or need they be in that particular field?

Say, for example, I publish a paper on obesity. Would this do me any good while applying for residencies in radiation oncology, for example? How about internal medicine?

If relevant research experience is very important, do MS1s need to have an idea of what speciality they want to go into so they can do research in that field throughout medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In general, Specialty-specific research > research outside specialty >> no research. That being said, most surgical specialties (ENT, Uro, Ortho, NSG, Plastics, etc) and rad onc will likely expect some form of research in their respective fields. Most people applying into these fields have likely known since they were in the womb, so not having specialty specific research would put you at a disadvantage (even if the rest of your app is up to snuff).

Since it's pretty difficult to know what you want to do as a MS1, I would pick the most competitive specialty you're interested in and try getting some research published in that field. I would also try to be on the lookout for projects that overlap multiple disciplines (eg. if you're interested in NSG and ENT look into doing research on acoustic neuromas, if you're interested in ortho and plastics, doing research in hand trauma, etc).

Reactions: 3 users
In general, Specialty-specific research > research outside specialty >> no research. That being said, most surgical specialties (ENT, Uro, Ortho, NSG, Plastics, etc) and rad onc will likely expect some form of research in their respective fields. Most people applying into these fields have likely known since they were in the womb, so not having specialty specific research would put you at a disadvantage (even if the rest of your app is up to snuff).

Since it's pretty difficult to know what you want to do as a MS1, I would pick the most competitive specialty you're interested in and try getting some research published in that field. I would also try to be on the lookout for projects that overlap multiple disciplines (eg. if you're interested in NSG and ENT look into doing research on acoustic neuromas, if you're interested in ortho and plastics, doing research in hand trauma, etc).

Solid advice here! I picked a project in the most competitive specialty I was interested in but made sure the project applied to other fields as well (aging, obesity, T2DM). That way, you cover your bases and have an in if you decide to go for that specialty. That being said, even if you do something totally different, having some research is always preferable to none. Get involved in something!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the advice above. If you're unsure of what you want to do, you can do any research that really interest you and is productive. And then, as you start to lean towards of specialty, you may want to move towards research in that field. If it's not a competitive specialty, you can remain in your interested field.

it does not absolutely need to be. This question has been asked ad nauseum. I think I even asked it once many years ago :whistle:. Use the search button to find plenty of great responses.

Great, I'm interested in tissue engineering labs. I think that could be applied to sub-specialties in surgery, derm, IM, Etc.

A short while ago I would have agreed with the comment of picking the most competitive specialty you're interested and just doing that.

Currently my advice is to still do that BUT to get involved in other projects as well. While it is important to get the mentorship and build ties to your field of interest, you will feel like your time has been wasted if you end up picking something else and have nothing to show for all your hard work.

Thus, talk to your upperclassmen who were productive and matched. Pubmed them if you have to. See who were the attendings they worked with and just do whatever it takes to work with them.

You will not regret this. The skills you learn under a productive mentor will transfer to another field nicely if you decide on something else late and need to get a pub going quick.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
A short while ago I would have agreed with the comment of picking the most competitive specialty you're interested and just doing that.

Currently my advice is to still do that BUT to get involved in other projects as well. While it is important to get the mentorship and build ties to your field of interest, you will feel like your time has been wasted if you end up picking something else and have nothing to show for all your hard work.

Thus, talk to your upperclassmen who were productive and matched. Pubmed them if you have to. See who were the attendings they worked with and just do whatever it takes to work with them.

You will not regret this. The skills you learn under a productive mentor will transfer to another field nicely if you decide on something else late and need to get a pub going quick.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
This is gold, it never even crossed my mind to do this, gracias!

Reactions: 1 users