Medical Does my MCAT score affect what time I should submit my AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inGenius Prep

Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Submitting your AMCAS application is the first step towards a long and difficult med school admissions process. There are many different components of the AMCAS that must be completed: working on your personal statement, taking the MCAT, developing an activities list, asking for letters of recommendations, obtaining your official transcripts, and more! Once you have compiled all the necessary pieces together, the last item to check off the list is deciding when to submit.

The peak med school application period is between June and September. For the 2018 applications, the earliest you can submit is June 1st. It will take AMCAS approximately 6 weeks to process every part of your application. But is there a specific time to submit? Does your MCAT score affect submission timing? It depends - but a general rule of thumb is that the earlier you submit the primary application, the better!

You do not necessarily need your MCAT score to submit your AMCAS, but your application can’t be approved until you send it. Your MCAT score will be sent directly to AMCAS once you indicate which schools you are applying to. The only times that your MCAT score should affect when you submit your AMCAS is if you are retaking the test or waiting for your score. You should be fairly confident that you will receive the score you want if you decide to submit your AMCAS without knowing your scores in advance. Applying to med school is expensive, and it would be a shame if you submitted your AMCAS while still waiting for your MCAT score, and then receive a lower score that you were expecting.

Overall, the best time to submit your AMCAS application is as soon as the June 1st window opens..

Here is some more info on when is the best time to submit the AMCAS application.

Members don't see this ad.