This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmae

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My paternal grandfather received his medical degree from West Virginia University and then was an attending/professor of radiology at the University of Virginia for about 40 years. He's retired now, but I think he's still a donor, though I'm not entirely certain. Also, both of my paternal great-grandfathers were physicians who studied at WVU and then worked there for their entire careers. One of them has a university medical center named after him (Clark K Sleeth Family Medicine Center), but being that he was my grandmother's father, we don't share the same last name, so I'm not really sure that the admissions committee would care. I realize that they whole legacy admissions thing is kind of unfair, so I sort of feel bad for asking about it, but I'm just really curious as to if my familial ties could affect the admission decisions from WVU and/or UVA. Thanks! xx

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously its not going to guarantee you an acceptance, but I could definitely see it being an advantage.