Does LECOM-E have good match results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Backsideattacked

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://lecom.edu/content/uploads/2018/08/LECOM-2018-Match-Report-updated-8-1-18.pdf

This is the most recent match results for 2018. I see that a decent percentage of students matched into allopathic residency positions. Does LECOM have a history for putting student into a good position to match well?

Im still not too familiar with match lingo .. Can someone explain the significance of matching into a traditional rotating internship vs normal internship vs residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to interpret match results is like trying to interpret one of these:
tealeafreading.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Our wise medical student and resident colleague can answer better than I, but my understanding of TRI is that it's a preliminary year that is required by certain specialties, OR it might be a last ditch residency to someone who otherwise didn't match.

Young colleagues, am I way off base? My apologies if so.
@Mad Jack ?
@AnatomyGrey12 ?
@sb247

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Our wise medical student and resident colleague can answer better than I, but my understanding of TRI is that it's a preliminary rear that is required by certain specialties, OR it might be a last ditch residency to someone who otherwise didn't match.

@Mad Jack ?
@AnatomyGrey12 ?
@sb247

Nah you're right. And my understanding is they are actually fairly competitive sought after for the people who matched PGY-2 spots because they are considered "cush" compared to say a pre-lim medicine or surgery spot because they have lots of elective time.

Our wise medical student and resident colleague can answer better than I, but my understanding of TRI is that it's a preliminary rear that is required by certain specialties, OR it might be a last ditch residency to someone who otherwise didn't match.

@Mad Jack ?
@AnatomyGrey12 ?
@sb247
That is largrly accurate

Reactions: 2 users

@Mad Jack ?
@AnatomyGrey12 ?
@sb247
TRIs are traditional rotating internships. They are a DO-only form of prelim year that rotates through I believe six different specialties. They could qualify as the first year of most AOA specialties pre-merger, but post-merger they can only serve as the first year for programs like radiology which require a prelim year of some sort. They are extremely uncompetitive and generally do not come even close to filling. They are all being required to transition to TY (transotional year) or preliminary medicine spots due to the merger, which will make them go from extremely uncompetitive to much more competitive as IMGs and MDs will be vying for them.

Traditionally they were a way for unmatched DOs to kill a year improving their app and making money. In the future they'll likely serve as dead ends for unmatched IMGs/AMGs or as prelim years for competitive applicants on the MD side.

TRIs are traditional rotating internships. They are a DO-only form of prelim year that rotates through I believe six different specialties. They could qualify as the first year of most AOA specialties pre-merger, but post-merger they can only serve as the first year for programs like radiology which require a prelim year of some sort. They are extremely uncompetitive and generally do not come even close to filling. They are all being required to transition to TY (transotional year) or preliminary medicine spots due to the merger, which will make them go from extremely uncompetitive to much more competitive as IMGs and MDs will be vying for them.

Traditionally they were a way for unmatched DOs to kill a year improving their app and making money. In the future they'll likely serve as dead ends for unmatched IMGs/AMGs or as prelim years for competitive applicants on the MD side.

Awesome explanation! Thank you so much.

Wow, how things change. I did TRI because it was needed for licensure in our state and I matched as a PG 2. With 6 mos of surgery and 6 mos of medicine, I felt I was way ahead of the residents who matched as pg1s in the specialty.

Reactions: 1 user