Does anyone ever say "I wanna do plastic surgery or derm" during med skwl application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dscmn

Reaction score
Was kinda curious about this and tried to search myself and all that pops up is medical students asking advice on dermatology matching

Has anyone ever said something like "I want to become a doctor because I want to be a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon in a Metropolitan area" during their med school application? If so, what was the outcome?

Members don't see this ad.

The more common presentation is "all ortho and nothing but ortho."
A student with top flight grades and accomplishments with this application may find success, but no school wants unmatched (or disgruntled) students.
For this reason, it is better to apply with the understanding that one can be "perfect" but not match into highly restricted fields.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
The more common presentation is "all ortho and nothing but ortho."
A student with top flight grades and accomplishments with this application may find success, but no school wants unmatched (or disgruntled) students.
For this reason, it is better to apply with the understanding that one can be "perfect" but not match into highly restricted fields.
Hey thanks for your reply
So what do schools do with those students during the admissions?
Don't medical students who end up not being able to get matched to their desired specialty choose other specialty at the end though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Faculty like applicants who know the importance of being intellectually humble and are receptive students. That's the "commitment to learning and growth" competency.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
At my DO school, we had about 5 people interested in ortho during my orientation week. After our step scores came out, most were passionate about EM.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I had something very close happen during an interview. Applicant specified that they wanted “to be a cardiothoracic surgeon in LA.” This was notable seeing that neither the student nor the school was anywhere remotely near the west coast. I asked them how they’d respond if they didn’t match and SOAPed into a rural family medicine program, say in Maine. They said something along the line of “ that’s not “all” I’d be left with but if it was I’d do my best to make it a surgical emphasis.” They didn’t get in.

It’s absolutely fine to have a desired, highly competitive speciality but not without having thought out the consequences of not matching as well as having a thought out answer.

Reactions: 2 users
So what do schools do with those students during the admissions?
Don't medical students who end up not being able to get matched to their desired specialty choose other specialty at the end though?
If their aspirations are not in line with the strength of their application, they are viewed less positively.
No school wants unmatched, unhappy, unsuccessful students. If there is a pool of students more likely to end up this way, it is this group.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh wow why do they choose EM then rather than something like fam med?
They may not believe the projections, haven't heard about them, believe that they will be luckier than others in a job search or they are IMG and this is their only match.
EM might have been the reason they went into medicine or it may have been a back-up for another preferred specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly these days I question the awareness of anyone who comes into medical school who couldn't do FM, IM, peds, or general surgery.

You can be utterly perfect on paper and still not match a ROAD specialty. It's just that competitive now. Nothing wrong with shooting your shot, but unless you're #1 at Harvard with crazy step scores and research, you have to realize there's a chance it just doesn't work out

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
There is a projected surplus of EM physicians such that many hundreds will not have jobs.
The fact that more med students aren't aware of this is astonishing to me. Everyone tells me they're so excited about EM and I kind of just smile and look at my shoelaces......

• Sad
  • Hmm
Tbh I think if one was truly perfect on paper they would have no issue getting into any specialty/program (assuming they’re not a train wreck during interviews), the issue is that a lot of people who are thought to be perfect on paper actually aren’t

Tbh I think if one was truly perfect on paper they would have no issue getting into any specialty/program (assuming they’re not a train wreck during interviews), the issue is that a lot of people who are thought to be perfect on paper actually aren’t
...or it could be that the number of seats is smaller than the number of "perfect" applicants!

I did interview one candidate who had a very unrealistic viewpoint about dermatology: the doctor prescribes topical creams that always work and produce very grateful patients "which is so rewarding". It was a courtesy interview to begin with and her remarks just sealed her fate.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Was kinda curious about this and tried to search myself and all that pops up is medical students asking advice on dermatology matching

Has anyone ever said something like "I want to become a doctor because I want to be a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon in a Metropolitan area" during their med school application? If so, what was the outcome?
The medical school applicant is applying to a program that typically lasts 4 years. you're going to learn a lot during that time and should expect to grow and explore and be open to change.

it's fine to say, "I find specialty X interesting and appealing, but I know I'm going to learn a lot in the next 4 years, and I'm not set on X. I want to maintain an open mind as I explore X along with other fields in medicine." Direction is fine. Unrealistic expectations and narrow goals are not.

Furthermore, if you say you are interested in a specialty that is associated with serving the advantaged (and that might come across if you say you are interested in becoming a "dermatologist or a plastic surgeon in a Metropolitan area.") those schools more interested in serving the underserved or disadvantaged may wonder about fit. (and maybe so should you.)

Last edited:
It's fine to express an interest. Being dead-set can be a bad look, especially if it's clear the student has no business in that field.