Does a MPH help in obtaining acceptance to a Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a MPH help in obtaining acceptance to a Medical School? I have heard various opinions. Some feel a MPH does not help in the application process because it is not a very science oriented masters. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on why you're doing it.

If you're trying to make up for poor science GPA, an MPH is unlikely to be too helpful. If you're interested in public health, then go ahead. If you're trying to broaden your horizons & get some good experience, then it'll help you, too.

I totally agree with Dr. Mom.

Also, don't run into med school interviews thinking that the MPH is the end all be all in terms of getting you in. I wouldn't say that you should downplay the degree, but at the same time, if all you're using it for is as stepping stone without any real dedication to it, then you're doing yourself a disservice. If it's all about the science GPA, get a Master's in Biology and rock your program. Otherwise, follow Dr. Mom's advice, because Mom knows best.

H&T

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a crappy SciGPA and i did a MPH and I got into medical school (several). However, My MCAT made up for my SciGPA. IT was my experiences at public health school that I feel set me apart as an applicant rather than the grades i got in the program. I loved public health school and its an awesome way to prepare for a life of caring for the health and welfare of others whether or not you're a physician. I'd hope you go into a program with an open mind because I have never had my views on health care so fundamentally changed as did happen when I got my MPH.

Actually, I agree with exmike as well. I had a less-than-stellar Sci GPA with really good MCATs, got two interviews the first time around. After my first year in MPH when I applied, I got 8 or 9 interviews.

That being said, I don't think it's a golden ticket into medical school, but it also does provide a lot of interesting medically related experiences for you to gab about on your personal statement and your interviews.

I took some upper-level bio classes related to public health (they counted as electives towards my MPH) that also helped with the ol' sci GPA. Although I suspect stuff other than my slightly increased sci GPA was more responsible for my admission - my thesis was relevant to clinical medicine, I was older and more mature, I put together a convincing arguement for why an MD+MPH is what I needed.

Originally posted by Adcadet
I took some upper-level bio classes related to public health (they counted as electives towards my MPH) that also helped with the ol' sci GPA. Although I suspect stuff other than my slightly increased sci GPA was more responsible for my admission - my thesis was relevant to clinical medicine, I was older and more mature, I put together a convincing arguement for why an MD+MPH is what I needed.

On a similar note, articulating a convincing reason for wanting an MD degree to complement my MPH degree in terms of my professional goals was a major selling point in my application and probably accounted for much of my success.

Point is, you could do whatever you want before medical school as long as you could explain it as being consistent with your interests.

DrMom said:

If you're trying to make up for poor science GPA, an MPH is unlikely to be too helpful. If you're interested in public health, then go ahead. If you're trying to broaden your horizons & get some good experience, then it'll help you, too.

an added point is my MPH was never brought up in my interviews other than what I thought was the most pressing health cares issues today.

I was able to take some more basic sciency classes during my MPH program (virology, toxicology) which helped my science GPA a bit. Plus I think I managed to get my biostats classes counted as math. Can't remember what I got my epi classes listed as on AMCAS.

southerndoc said:
There is a person on SDN (who posts very rarely) who improved his GPA with an MPH. I think it was one of the things that got him into medical school (in addition to his prior clinical experience as paramedic).

Moi? If not, then there are two...

I loved having my MPH. I know it got me into medical school. See this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1246848#post1246848 for a "complete" discussion on the topic.

- H

DrMom said:

I agree with this. I think the MPH can be valuable in other ways but it probably isn't the best route to follow if you are trying to compensate for a weak science GPA or undergraduate academic record. Of course an amazing MCAT will help anyone but if your MCAT isn't the greatest and your undergrad science GPA is weak, then an MPH isn't going to really compensate for that low GPA like a postbac or a Masters in a hard science could do. And that is a really important point. People have successfully been admitted to medical school without having a 30+ MCAT doing postbac and MS degrees because their curriculums closely represented an MS1 curriculum whereas the MPH does not. Even if successfull postbac or MS students lacks a 30+ MCAT, an adcom is more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt because they have completed a curriculum that demonstrates they are capable of handing an medical school (MS1) course load. The MPH curriculum on the other hand, has it's own challenges but it doesn't represent an MS1 curriculum like postbacs and MS programs do.

If your GPA is on the cusp and your MCAT is very competitive, the MPH would probably be the better degree to pursue because of the experience it could provide you.

But Dr. Mom said it best, it's probably not wise to pursue the MPH if you only want to go to medical school and could care less about matters of public health.