This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any one with thoughts as to which way rates will go?

We are looking at new home construction, and will probably be able to put 10-20% down (less if closing costs will be high), and will likely need a jumbo loan, preferrably with 30 year fixed. We have good credit scores.

Any one have any good lender experiences for the northeast?
Anyone "locked in" a rate for longer than 90 days and knows the costs/pros/cons of doing so? The home construction will take at least 4-6 months to complete...

We are looking at new home construction, and will probably be able to put 10-20% down (less if closing costs will be high), and will likely need a jumbo loan, preferrably with 30 year fixed. We have good credit scores.

Anyone "locked in" a rate for longer than 90 days and knows the costs/pros/cons of doing so? The home construction will take at least 4-6 months to complete...
Rates will continue to go up until the next recession. Last I checked the fed was planning two more 0.25% increases of the base rate this calendar year, and mortgage rates tend to follow the fed at least loosely.

I can only speak to my experience with Chase and NOT in the Northeast - but they offered to match the lowest rate I found otherwise, had a competitively lowest rate regardless, and after various rebates had the lowest closing costs of any option I had. And that was after shopping around. I'd recommend a few local banks/lenders, at least one online service (quiken loans or whatever), and at least one big one for shopping around, and ask them all if they'll match lower.

Members don't see this ad :)

I can't answer your direct question, but what's the rush / why 30-years? So much $$ wasted on interest....

What qualifications do you look at in searching for a buyer's real estate agent?

Does a physician mortgage have higher interest rate than a regular mortgage(20% down payment)

Reactions: 1 user
Does a physician mortgage have higher interest rate than a regular mortgage(20% down payment)

If you can put 20% down, the odds are more likely you can find a better rate with a conventional loan. Not always though, and personally, the times I've asked brokers to price out physician loans vs traditional, they've given me identical interest rates.
However, a few major attributes that are unique for the physician loan that may be important to your situation
  • Most banks will accept a signed contract in lieu of past paystubs - useful when you're salary is increasing 3x-5x or more from one day to the next
  • Easier to get a jumbo loan which if you live in a higher cost of living city may be necessary
  • According to my brother-in-law mortgage broker, physician loans are usually more forgiving for poorer credit scores.

Sorry to awaken a sleeping thread, lots of good info here. Just wondering what's the best way to minimize my mortgage payment when I'm in residency? I'm in year 1 of 4 and I know I'll be staying in the same city so I want to buy, however I obviously don't want to go deeper and deeper in the hole paying off a mortgage that's more than my monthly salary.

Is there a way to get a lower payment while in residency and bump it up once I've completed my training? (similar to some student loan repayment programs).

Sorry to awaken a sleeping thread, lots of good info here. Just wondering what's the best way to minimize my mortgage payment when I'm in residency? I'm in year 1 of 4 and I know I'll be staying in the same city so I want to buy, however I obviously don't want to go deeper and deeper in the hole paying off a mortgage that's more than my monthly salary.

Is there a way to get a lower payment while in residency and bump it up once I've completed my training? (similar to some student loan repayment programs).

I mean, there were all kinds of funky types of mortgage that allowed lower payments up front in exchange for huge payments later on prior to 2008... but most of those have gone the way of the dodo. I don't think there's a way you can get a lower payment for the first few years of a loan and have it balloon up later on, not anymore.

You have two realistic options to minimize your mortgage payment in residency:

1) Rent - then your mortgage payment is zero.

2) Take out a mortgage you can afford. Cheapest realistically is a 30 year ARM, though ARMs aren't that much better than fixed rate mortgages. Assuming you can get an interest rate of 3.75% (can't get much better for 30-year unless you have access to VA/FHA loans) and that you're limited to 28% of your gross of ~$60k (which is a pretty strong rule of thumb), that means you can't borrow more than $302k.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to act your wage.

You shouldn't try and get an attending car/house/toys when you are on a resident salary.

I would even argue, you'd be better off to act your net worth

Reactions: 1 user
You need to act your wage.

You shouldn't try and get an attending car/house/toys when you are on a resident salary.

I would even argue, you'd be better off to act your net worth

Try to live 2-3 years as a resident and pay off loans ASAP.
Will also allow you to put a higher down payment and, if >= 20%, then you don’t have to worry about doc’s loan.

Fifth Third will finance you 100%

I went through them for our doctor's mortgage, good experience overall and I'd recommend them, but in retrospect we would have been far better off waiting and saving for a down payment. Our financial situation was overall pretty miserable though, so we did what seemed the best with the information we had. But we had just paid for a wedding, gotten pregnant immediately, were moving half way across the country, would have lost all the equity my wife had in her condo to closing costs if we sold it at the moment and both had significant credit card debt. The crush of needing more space with a baby on the way and a backyard for the dog pushed us to go for the house before we should have.

I've done enough self-flagellation for my financial sins and we've managed to pay off our credit card debt, the condo has a better valuation plus a few years of additional equity built up, and we love our house and our neighbors...but it still would have been better to gone in with a down payment, even if it was just 10%, since most of the doctor's mortgage programs don't require PMI.

I just want to note that Fifth Third requires a Reserve of 2x your monthly payments. This Reserve cannot be student loans or gift.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a physician's loan for my first condo purchase. 3.75% - 30 year jumbo - 10% down with no PMI (I could have put 20% down, but used other 10% to fully furnish my condo). Given current economic climate, I have no interest in paying off mortgage earlier with extra principal payments. Cash is king right now and using it to take advantage of the volatility of the stock market. There is also very good chance that hyperinflation is coming for us in the coming years given the massive stimulus and printing the FED has done. Overall I thought the physician's loan was great and I would recommend to others if in the right circumstances.

I rented all through residency and first year of attending. My condo purchase was roughly 2x my salary, def more than what I needed (single, no kids) but I loved the condo and living downtown. Still have $150K of student loans, but again given this climate, not making any extra payments.

I took a physician's loan for my first condo purchase. 3.75% - 30 year jumbo - 10% down with no PMI (I could have put 20% down, but used other 10% to fully furnish my condo). Given current economic climate, I have no interest in paying off mortgage earlier with extra principal payments. Cash is king right now and using it to take advantage of the volatility of the stock market. There is also very good chance that hyperinflation is coming for us in the coming years given the massive stimulus and printing the FED has done. Overall I thought the physician's loan was great and I would recommend to others if in the right circumstances.

I rented all through residency and first year of attending. My condo purchase was roughly 2x my salary, def more than what I needed (single, no kids) but I loved the condo and living downtown. Still have $150K of student loans, but again given this climate, not making any extra payments.
Smart thinking, my reasoning is that if I'm going to stay in the same city as my residency I might as well get a head start and buy while being a resident rather than paying 4 years of rent and then deciding to buy.

Anyone find doctor’s mortgages don’t exist anymore? I contacted several lenders and they all said physician loan programs are on hold. If you know of any companies still offering physician mortgages, please let me know.

Anyone find doctor’s mortgages don’t exist anymore? I contacted several lenders and they all said physician loan programs are on hold. If you know of any companies still offering physician mortgages, please let me know.
I am a CRNA applying right now and will report back what I hear.

US Bank - Seemed to get great reviews about the Physicians Loan process, specifically for CRNA's. They responded today that due to COVID MI is required on all products.

I am a CRNA applying right now and will report back what I hear.

US Bank - Seemed to get great reviews about the Physicians Loan process, specifically for CRNA's. They responded today that due to COVID MI is required on all products.
Try chemical bank. I don’t think they’re requiring MI. You can message me for my contacts details. Great guy very reachable.

I just got one. 5% down jumbo 3.25% 30yr fixed no points no PMI Keybank

I can't find a physician mortage loan for 0% down payment. Any suggestions. All the banks I have approached are asking for 5-10% down. I'm finished with my training, make a good income, but can only afford about a 3% down payment at this time. There are no houses available for less than 800k in my area. Thank you.

I can't find a physician mortage loan for 0% down payment. Any suggestions. All the banks I have approached are asking for 5-10% down. I'm finished with my training, make a good income, but can only afford about a 3% down payment at this time. There are no houses available for less than 800k in my area. Thank you.

Are you in CA? I was told CA law requires 5% down minimum.

Did you look for FHA loans? I think they may allow a smaller down payment. Or you could just wait and save up more.

What state?

In CA

It will take us 2 years to save up to 5% down payment. I don't get why with an income of 300k+ we can't afford a house. Getting very sick of living in a 600sq apartment, unable to afford to have kids or buy a house, and am 6+ years out of medical school. Clearly I chose the wrong speciality. If I could just be able to buy a house with a 2-3% down payment, that would help so much. I emailed every bank I could find. One of them said they may bring back 0% financing up to 750k starting in '21, but even that won't really work since the cheapest houses I see in our market are in the 800k range. Sometimes I see 700k houses, but they need work.

Wondering if I should ask a friend for a 20k loan. Do people every do that?

Last edited:
In CA

It will take us 2 years to save up to 5% down payment. I don't get why with an income of 300k+ we can't afford a house. Getting very sick of living in a 600sq apartment, unable to afford to have kids or buy a house, and am 6+ years out of medical school. Clearly I chose the wrong speciality. If I could just be able to buy a house with a 2-3% down payment, that would help so much. I emailed every bank I could find. One of them said they may bring back 0% financing up to 750k starting in '21, but even that won't really work since the cheapest houses I see in our market are in the 800k range. Sometimes I see 700k houses, but they need work.

I don’t think any bank can lend you with less than 5% down. My lender normally offered 0 down but for CA the minimum was 5%. They said it was because of CA laws or regulations. No other lenders I spoke with offered 0% down so I think you’re short on luck here.

Yes may be able borrow money from others for your down payment. But that needs to be disclosed, and could affect financing.

Why will it take two years to save up $40,000 for a 5% down payment on an 800k home?

Okay thank you.

Recently we're saving ~1-2k/month. Income is more like 250k right now, but my wife is getting a raise soon. Paying ~3k/month in student loans, but that's still barely making a dent in them. Very high rent - $3k/month. Not really an option to pay lower rent here. No car loans right now, thankfully.

In CA

Unfortunately you have chosen a bad place to make your income level. A loan towards the down payment will cause issue with financing as well. Anything else you can cut out of your monthly budget?

Unfortunately you have chosen a bad place to make your income level. A loan towards the down payment will cause issue with financing as well. Anything else you can cut out of your monthly budget?
Thanks. You're right. I just started saving $1k/month towards retirement. I could cut this out. Also could cut down on student loan payments by $1k/month.

I think either I don't get to buy a house anytime soon or I need to leave academic medicine and make more money in PP. I need to priorize being able to afford having children, since we're getting older. Leaving my current area isn't an option right now. My wife has a very good job.

Thanks. You're right. I just started saving $1k/month towards retirement. I could cut this out. Also could cut down on student loan payments by $1k/month.

I think either I don't get to buy a house anytime soon or I need to leave academic medicine and make more money in PP. I need to priorize being able to afford having children, since we're getting older. Leaving my current area isn't an option right now. My wife has a very good job.
I wouldn't cheat your retirement but are you sure there isn't anywhere else to cut like eating out or online shopping?

I certainly understand where you’re coming from, as someone also living in CA. Our family is here-otherwise I’d consider living somewhere else (though I do really like it). We had to pick and choose priorities as well. We bought a below median value home (about $700-800k is median here).

You mention you're in academics--are you employed directly by the hospital or a non-profit foundation? If so, consider making the minimum payments and aim for PSLF. Realistically, if you're budget is pushed now, it won't be much different once you're making a mortgage payment (monthly payments may be lower than renting, but you have to add in maintenance costs, etc.) A mortgage lasts 30 years, and you can't forgo your retirement contributions for 30 years.

I think you and your wife should sit down and take a long hard look at the numbers. You don't want to get stuck in a miserable situation. Consider what the plan is once you have kids--do both of you plan to keep working full-time? Do you have family for free daycare? Otherwise that adds up.

Thanks for all the good points and recommendations. Yes, we could cut down on eating out/shopping, but in my opinion it won't add up to a significant amount, and my wife won't be happy with this (happy wife = happy life). I work for a university and my student loan payments are counting towards PSFL. I'm not counting on PSFL by any means because I don't trust that it will stick around, but I'm not ignoring it either. I could cut down on student loan payments, the more I think about it, the more I realize I should do this - i.e. pay the minimum for now. My wife and I have talked about how we're going to afford to have a child. Won't have family help. We think we should be able to do it at first without daycare, just between her and I, then maybe daycare after at least 1+ year of age.

I found a bank that is offering 1% down payment up to 750k, a deal specifically for my university. I'm not sure we'll be able to find a house for <750k in our area, but it's worth trying! I'm optimistic about this option.

It seems like the best option going forward is likely to continue to rent and save up for a down payment down the road and child care. I can always change jobs to PP if things aren't working out. I'm getting paid <1/2 the average in my specialty, but I'm working a lot extra to . Maybe we can find a house for <750k.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good points and recommendations. Yes, we could cut down on eating out/shopping, but in my opinion it won't add up to a significant amount, and my wife won't be happy with this (happy wife = happy life). I work for a university and my student loan payments are counting towards PSFL. I'm not counting on PSFL by any means because I don't trust that it will stick around, but I'm not ignoring it either. I could cut down on student loan payments, the more I think about it, the more I realize I should do this - i.e. pay the minimum for now. My wife and I have talked about how we're going to afford to have a child. Won't have family help. We think we should be able to do it at first without daycare, just between her and I, then maybe daycare after at least 1+ year of age.

I found a bank that is offering 1% down payment up to 750k, a deal specifically for my university. I'm not sure we'll be able to find a house for <750k in our area, but it's worth trying! I'm optimistic about this option.

It seems like the best option going forward is likely to continue to rent and save up for a down payment down the road and child care. I can always change jobs to PP if things aren't working out. I'm getting paid <1/2 the average in my specialty, but I'm working a lot extra to . Maybe we can find a house for <750k.

Yeah those are the kind of sacrifices one must make when living in hcol. It is what it is. I own a house where I did residency, but don’t own where I live now because there is no way I can afford it. Not on my radar anytime soon. For now I’m focusing on upping my savings, and my retirement and thinking about having a kid. Saving for retirement is much more important in my opinion.

I think 3k a month from your rent is much less than a 800k mortgage will be with zero down so it really sounds like you can’t afford to buy a house right now. Definitely work on saving up, but being a homeowner can also be overrated! When I go back to my house in the other city monthly it can be kind of overwhelming and the house isn’t even that big! There’s always something that needs work or to be done. Enjoy the benefits of renting while you can :)

You don't need a house in order to have kids by the way. **** at one point my family lived in a two bedroom apartment with my parents in one room, my sister and I in the other and my brother lived in the living room. If you want the, bad enough you figure out how to make it work. I think you really ought to sit down with your wife and talk budget because this shouldn't be a one sided thing. You are bringing home what, about 12k a month? After rent and student loans that leaves 6k. Where is all that going? What are you going to do when you are paying the same 3k but now it is for a mortgage and you have to pay 1 to 2k for taxes and insurance plus the HVAC needs repair for another 1k and daycare wants 2k a month?

Making 300k+ and unable to save 40k in two years???

OK let’s say you’re putting away 20% for retirement, and pay 40% of taxes, you’ll still take home 12K a month. After student loans and rent, you still have 6k left. Even if you spend 3k a month on food, transportation and bills, you can still save 3K every month for down payment. In a year, not two, you should have the 5% for an 800k house.

Reactions: 3 users
Update: I found a few viable options.

An FHA loan with 3.5% down on the surface seemed decent, but after hearing the details, I realized it's a completely horrible deal. The PMI doesn't drop off after you reach 20-22% equity like it does in a conventional loan, but it stays on for the lifetime of the loan. I was quoted at $630 in monthly PMI for the FHA loan, which would equate to an extra $220,000 over 30 years - um no.

One bank said they were considering brining back 0% down in 2021 for physicians. I haven't inquired recently about this.

The bank affiliated with my hospital offered 1% down because I work there as a physician. They also offer the same deal to RNs and NNPs/PAs. This seemed great. However, mortgage rate was just okay and closing costs were high.

I inquired at several banks for a physician loan. Many offered 5% down as the lowest. One national bank offered impressively good mortgage rates and closing costs. The all in money, including closing costs, wasn't that much higher than the 1% down option for my hospital's bank. I'm going to go with this option, as I've realized I'm able to save much faster than I expected. I paused my federal student loan payments as it's 0% interest anyway on them until we get to the 5% downpayment savings, which is only 3-4 months from now. I didn't stop my retirement savings thankfully. If anyone wants to know which banks i'm referring to just ask in a DM.

Update: I found a few viable options.

An FHA loan with 3.5% down on the surface seemed decent, but after hearing the details, I realized it's a completely horrible deal. The PMI doesn't drop off after you reach 20-22% equity like it does in a conventional loan, but it stays on for the lifetime of the loan. I was quoted at $630 in monthly PMI for the FHA loan, which would equate to an extra $220,000 over 30 years - um no.

One bank said they were considering brining back 0% down in 2021 for physicians. I haven't inquired recently about this.

The bank affiliated with my hospital offered 1% down because I work there as a physician. They also offer the same deal to RNs and NNPs/PAs. This seemed great. However, mortgage rate was just okay and closing costs were high.

I inquired at several banks for a physician loan. Many offered 5% down as the lowest. One national bank offered impressively good mortgage rates and closing costs. The all in money, including closing costs, wasn't that much higher than the 1% down option for my hospital's bank. I'm going to go with this option, as I've realized I'm able to save much faster than I expected. I paused my federal student loan payments as it's 0% interest anyway on them until we get to the 5% downpayment savings, which is only 3-4 months from now. I didn't stop my retirement savings thankfully. If anyone wants to know which banks i'm referring to just ask in a DM.
For the FHA loan you could always refinance once you get enough equity just depends how long you think it will take for you to reach that and what you think interest rates will be like then.

You are making Half normal for your speciality? You sure you aren’t going to move any time soon? I’d just rent for a year or two, build savings, and see if you are going to move jobs. Good chance you are.

For the FHA loan you could always refinance once you get enough equity just depends how long you think it will take for you to reach that and what you think interest rates will be like then.
If that's allowed, that would make it work. Or just selling the home after several years, which would get rid of the loan.
You are making Half normal for your speciality? You sure you aren’t going to move any time soon? I’d just rent for a year or two, build savings, and see if you are going to move jobs. Good chance you are.
Yeah, but my wife is starting a job that will keep her in place for 3+ years. Plus, I really want to start building equity in our home.

Average starting salary for academics in my field is ~210k. I'm getting 120k. But I'm moonlighting, which helps a lot.

Last edited:
I don’t care how wonderful your job is. It is still portion of your life you’re trading in exchange for money. Getting paid half of what the average salary for your speciality...in academia which already pays half to two-third the rate of private practice is beyond me.

I’m sure we have different priorities but I urge you to take a step back and look at your financial situation with objectivity.

Reactions: 4 users
You doing a chief year or some kind of junior faculty?

Either way, you don’t gain much equity other than appreciation On a 30 year mortgage. And without a bunch of moonlighting. . . How can you afford a $750k+ house? Don’t forget that owning has lots of expenses More than just the mortgage. And they can come unexpectedly and with big bills.

Is your wife a physician? Or making substantial money? Cause When I hear she Has a 3+ year job, I presume residency, but you really can’t do residency without daycare and a full time spouse.

None of my business. . . But i wouldn’t do this.

Right, it's less than ideal, but there are many factors besides salary to consider when deciding on a job, and I'm not stuck making 120k forever. Junior faculty but doing research and clinical work, which is the reason pay is low. Wife makes less, ~50k/yr, not a physician. I'm also making ~80k in moonlighting, so ~200k total, which isn't too shabby. I don't really want to go into more details as I'm not looking for job advice at this time. Trying to learn as much as I can about the home buying process!