Do transitional programs allow away rotations for PGY-1s? Do most programs allow incoming rotators?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mo_117

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to a lot of transitional year programs in the match as a back-up in case I can't get into surgery. Basically I'm asking is it common for transitional programs to allow their residents to do rotations at another hospital where they would hope to match next year or is it expected that you will do your electives in-house?
Would these prospective programs commonly allow transitional residents from other programs to rotate with them or is this something not commonly/never done?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no rule that prohibits it. Most programs won't allow away rotations due to loss of funding. Medicare only pays for months that the resident is at the hospital. An exception can be made for rotations (typically those required by ACGME but not always) that are not offered at your hospital.
Another common reason is due to inability to control educational experience.

My program does not allow away electives, even if not offered locally.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply. So if I was a resident at your program who is not looking to go into any of the typical programs as a PGY-2 (rad, ophtho, etc), would you be more open to the idea if I was willing to forfeit pay during that month? Would you as a PD consider an applicant who is clearly trying to get into a specialty not typically transferred to from a TY program, even if it means repeating PGY-1 (assuming great board scores and completed step 3)?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't really work like that. You can't just "forfeit pay" in a legal sense because you have a contract and are an employee.

As for your second question, I review all applications submitted through ERAS and determine who would fit into my program the best. I then interview those candidates. I then rank those candidates.

The question you asked is circumstantial and can not be answered in a general sense. Each program has different views and goals.

It is no skin off my back for a graduate of my program to have to repeat an intern year elsewhere. It may be difficult for that next program, because there is a chance that the resident may not receive funding from CMS for their entire residency.
GME finance is complicated. Since a TY is not a full residency, CMS may fully fund someone who does, say, a TY and then three years of EM. Someone who does a year of IM and then switches to EM and does three years of EM: the EM program will not receive funding for the third EM year for that resident.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok then it's a good thing I made sure to apply only to programs that offer surgical electives. As for the third part, so if I could get into surgery after TY, I would lose pay (or the program would lose funding and them knowing that would make them not want to take me...?) because I'm coming from a preliminary program? It sounds like doing preliminary surgery would actually screw my chances of getting into a categorical program afterwards...am I getting this right?

Again thank you for the time you're taking to reply

You don't lose pay. You are an employee and have a contract from year to year. The program (actually the hospital) may not receive pass through money from CMS for some years (again, complicated how this all works), but that isn't really your concern. Programs and hospitals deal with this thing regularly. Most PD's probably don't understand GME finances anyway, so it's not something to talk to them about.

All you need to worry about is matching into programs that fit you for both specialty and culture. Let PD's deal with the minutiae.

I was able to do a 1 month away rotation during my TY. I'm a PGY-3 now. PM me if you are interested in the name of the program. I know for a fact that they still offer this option, however matching is somewhat competitive.