DO Student w/o Step 2, what is my ceiling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BASBaseball15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at East Coast programs that have taken DOs in the past (e.g. VCU, EVMS, GW, Inova, Georgetown and not programs such as UVA, Duke, UNC, etc).

I have a very good IM shelf exam (98.9th %tile), COMLEX Level 2 is 66* (82-86th %tile), 4 LOR (2 from APD, 1 from a hospitalist medical director, 1 from a hospitalist), Honored all but one rotation in 3rd year with great comments.

I passed Step 1 but did not take Step 2 because I was advised that "I did not need it to match into low/mid-teir programs for IM".

Cut me some slack on not taking Step 2 (or don't, it's my fault for not doing my own research). I'm a first gen college grad and grad student, so I took that advice as a fact rather than my faculty advisor's opinion/suggestion. Figuring this process out for myself has not been an easy one. Looking back, maybe I should have taken it and I likely would have scored well, but here we are.

• Top quartile of my class and in SSP
  • Leadership: captain in university athletics, lead scribe for 2.5 yrs, JV coach.
  • EC average volunteering, nothing special.
  • No Research
  • Impactful event in my mother passing in my first year of med school/first gen college grad.

Appreciate your insight. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looking at East Coast programs that have taken DOs in the past (e.g. VCU, EVMS, GW, Inova, Georgetown and not programs such as UVA, Duke, UNC, etc).

I have a very good IM shelf exam (98.9th %tile), COMLEX Level 2 is 66* (82-86th %tile), 4 LOR (2 from APD, 1 from a hospitalist medical director, 1 from a hospitalist), Honored all but one rotation in 3rd year with great comments.

I passed Step 1 but did not take Step 2 because I was advised that "I did not need it to match into low/mid-teir programs for IM".

Cut me some slack on not taking Step 2 (or don't, it's my fault for not doing my own research). I'm a first gen college grad and grad student, so I took that advice as a fact rather than my faculty advisor's opinion/suggestion. Figuring this process out for myself has not been an easy one. Looking back, maybe I should have taken it and I likely would have scored well, but here we are.

• Top quartile of my class and in SSP
  • Leadership: captain in university athletics, lead scribe for 2.5 yrs, JV coach.
  • EC average volunteering, nothing special.
  • No Research
  • Impactful event in my mother passing in my first year of med school/first gen college grad.

Appreciate your insight. Thank you.
Mid tier IM might be doable but a little bit of a reach.

Reactions: 1 user
The sad thing is that you would have definitely crushed Step 2 had you taken it. My COMLEX score was about 30 points lower than yours but my Step 2 score is close to 260. My shelf scores weren't that great either.

Hindsight is 20/20. Apply BROADLY since you have 2 dings against you (the other one being a DO!).

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine. Being a DO does still have the stigma, but you can match well into primary care if your overall performance is good

You'll match, just not at a competitive place

You'll match, just not at a competitive place
What are you considering "competitive"? Top 20? 40? 65? Academic hospitals in general?

I'm feel like I'm realistic with my expectations and while shooting some apps to some competitive places (that traditionally take a decent amount of DOs) I won't be applying to programs w/o DOs or programs where I know I won't have a chance.

Thanks!

What are you considering "competitive"? Top 20? 40? 65? Academic hospitals in general?

I'm feel like I'm realistic with my expectations and while shooting some apps to some competitive places (that traditionally take a decent amount of DOs) I won't be applying to programs w/o DOs or programs where I know I won't have a chance.

Thanks!

Applications are due in a week my guy. Just apply to as many programs as you can and shoot your shot. Just make sure to check which ones require step scores.

Thanks!
i think the higher tier of Uni programs are prob off the list. But mid to low tier prob still is achievable if you apply broadly.

Good IM programs don't know how to use COMLEX scores when they are used to STEP scores for their applicants. I don't think a decent program is impossible. Consider Cleveland Clinic as an option as they have taken DOs in the past

Thanks!
You're already out by being a DO from virtually all top 20 programs in any specialty. I say your range is somewhere between the middle of the pack schools, like, say UT Galveston or San Antonio, and below

Low tier academic programs in undesirable locations are probably the ceiling for you.

A place with name recognition is probably off the table.