DO Schools To Avoid/Go For?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kameha01

Reaction score
Not applying this year but I only have had 1 MD interview from VCU (which has specific release dates for acceptances), on 6 holds (Drexel, George Washington, Penn State, West Virginia, UCSD (in-state for me), SUNY Upstate) and 5 MD rejections (4 out of state schools and Georgetown). The physician I'm shadowing is an MD but recommended DO Schools to apply to in case I don't get in this year (she's a family medicine doctor who also focuses on obesity medicine and prefers improving lifestyles for patients), and I've been doing research for months/asking questions on them on SDN and on the web, but I'm still having some trouble.

For reference, my primary criteria for picking DO schools focus on: COMLEX/USMLE Pass-rate, residency match rate, being a pass-fail school, and not being too massive of a school. I'd also like to go to a school with a lower emphasis on OMM. I did a bunch of research/asked questions about it, and it seems to be not something most people use after medical school due to issues like billing or it being non-evidence-based medicine.

So far I've got (not in any particular order of preference yet): ATSU KOM, DMU, KCU, MSU, NYIT, VCOM, PCOM, TUOM CA, Western COM, and WVCOM.

I'm hoping for more schools that are recommended to me from these criteria, as well as any students at these schools that can give me more insight into what it's like there.

I also and wondering why people say DO schools are more expensive than MD schools since on ChooseDO the tuition rates seem the same (some even cheaper)

Thanks so much for all your guys' help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To plug my own, TCOM is widely considered to be one of the best, if not the best, DO school in the country.

Additionally, OOS tuition is probably cheaper than in-state for any other place you are looking to attend.

But the caveat is that over 90% (by Texas law) is Texas residents, and it is on a separate application which is why it is often not listed among other DO schools.

I am also convinced a lot of people forget it is a DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d avoid schools that are new/only graduated a few classes. I’d add TCOM as above as well as OSU, Rowan, and OUHCOM. The schools with state funding should be prioritized over private schools for research opportunities, but not at the expense of tuition. For instance, MSUCOM has crazy high OOS tuition IIRC.

When picking between private schools, I’d prioritize tuition and location more tbh. Most are more similar than different. Boards are mostly on the individual student and match lists are not as good of a metric as premeds believe. And premeds/med students aren’t actually great at interpreting them anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd avoid for-profit DOs like RVUCOM.

Last edited:
OMS II at ACOM checking in; I would check it out if you have not already. ACOM checks a lot of the boxes you are looking for, minus the pass/fail curriculum. The director of the OPP department here is a gem who has worked around the country at other DO schools and streamlines the course and what you need to know for COMLEX. The support and community is another huge plus, which has been echoed by some of my other classmates on this site. ACOM notoriously interviews and accepts students late into the cycle d/t massive waitlist movement too, so it's worth submitting an app if you're interested. PM if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OMS II at ACOM checking in; I would check it out if you have not already. ACOM checks a lot of the boxes you are looking for, minus the pass/fail curriculum. The director of the OPP department here is a gem who has worked around the country at other DO schools and streamlines the course and what you need to know for COMLEX. The support and community is another huge plus, which has been echoed by some of my other classmates on this site. ACOM notoriously interviews and accepts students late into the cycle d/t massive waitlist movement too, so it's worth submitting an app if you're interested. PM if you have any other questions!
Who’s the OMM chair these days?

Also keep in mind some DO schools are super into OMM, which can get frustrating come crunch time. I hear ATSU, Western, and Touro CA emphasize OMM quite a bit.

Also keep in mind some DO schools are super into OMM, which can get frustrating come crunch time. I hear ATSU, Western, and Touro CA emphasize OMM quite a bit.

The biggest culprit is UNE. They even have PhD faculty to teach you the "science" of OMM.

• Haha
  • Hmm
I’m a VCOM student if you have any questions feel free to message me!

The biggest culprit is UNE. They even have PhD faculty to teach you the "science" of OMM.
I would honestly appreciate someone explaining to me how it works rather than just telling us to know it. Most people in my class are less of believers in it since when school started

Members don't see this ad :)
I would honestly appreciate someone explaining to me how it works rather than just telling us to know it. Most people in my class are less of believers in it since when school started

Gotta be careful what you wish for

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd avoid for-profit DOs like RVUCOM.
I see this advice from all of you veterans including Goro. I am new in this forum. RVU - Col has THE best first time Level 1 pass rate among ALL including the cheap (cost) highly regarded state schools, their tuition is way less than the not-for-profit Mid-Western COMs (Chicago and Arizona). I will not say anything about the Match List (as Goro cautioned not to judge a school by the Match list), but I am sure RVU's Match list is pretty good too. So, my question is, just because they are for-profit they are place to avoid? Why? Every school is increasing the tuition. KHSC just opened, asking to cough up $55k with first people to graduate four years away. Please help me understand this logic that all for-profits are bad.

I see this advice from all of you veterans including Goro. I am new in this forum. RVU - Col has THE best first time Level 1 pass rate among ALL including the cheap (cost) highly regarded state schools, their tuition is way less than the not-for-profit Mid-Western COMs (Chicago and Arizona). I will not say anything about the Match List (as Goro cautioned not to judge a school by the Match list), but I am sure RVU's Match list is pretty good too. So, my question is, just because they are for-profit they are place to avoid? Why? Every school is increasing the tuition. KHSC just opened, asking to cough up $55k with first people to graduate four years away. Please help me understand this logic that all for-profits are bad.
The theory against for-profit is that if there is a dispute or competing needs then students will lose out to share holders. Rvu proved to be doing a good job despite these concerns. People became okay with applying despite the for-profit status but then it was sold to a Caribbean med school parent company.

People became okay with applying despite the for-profit status but then it was sold to a Caribbean med school parent company.
This is always an interesting argument to me considering who the founder was. I dont see a huge difference between the two.

This is always an interesting argument to me considering who the founder was. I dont see a huge difference between the two.
You are 100% correct. The son is the founder of RVU and the dad is the founder of AUC. The son was involved with running AUC for a long time before he opened the RVU. There is basically no difference between the RVU and AUC when in comes to ownership from the get go. It is not a recent development. Google search gave me this article from 2008, interesting back story of RVU. It is all out there, no secret.

Winning against management is easy for not-for-profit school, talk to any LECOM student, they will tell you how "the Suit/Tie three piece wearing for 8 hours a day in the classroom" fight is going on, :)

For a handy reference here are how much the DO schools are making.

I don't think RVU is making more than quite a few of them.

Let me give you an example since I am an applicant this cycle.

I got into RVU - Montana (not going to go since it is brand and I have quite a few other admissions now). It's deposit is $2000, they broke down this amount into $250 due on the AACOMAS due date, $750 due in a month after that and the rest is due in May. To me, this makes it so much less financial burden for any applicant to decide the best school for him/her. On the other hand, another brand new but not-for-profile school KHSC need you to deposit $2,500 all at once at aacomas deadline.

So, if we go by the profile motive, these two should be acting just the opposite way, right?

To me, it is not a cut and dry debate!

You are 100% correct. The son is the founder of RVU and the dad is the founder of AUC. The son was involved with running AUC for a long time before he opened the RVU. There is basically no difference between the RVU and AUC when in comes to ownership from the get go. It is not a recent development. Google search gave me this article from 2008, interesting back story of RVU. It is all out there, no secret.

Winning against management is easy for not-for-profit school, talk to any LECOM student, they will tell you how "the Suit/Tie three piece wearing for 8 hours a day in the classroom" fight is going on, :)

For a handy reference here are how much the DO schools are making.

I don't think RVU is making more than quite a few of them.

Let me give you an example since I am an applicant this cycle.

I got into RVU - Montana (not going to go since it is brand and I have quite a few other admissions now). It's deposit is $2000, they broke down this amount into $250 due on the AACOMAS due date, $750 due in a month after that and the rest is due in May. To me, this makes it so much less financial burden for any applicant to decide the best school for him/her. On the other hand, another brand new but not-for-profile school KHSC need you to deposit $2,500 all at once at aacomas deadline.

So, if we go by the profile motive, these two should be acting just the opposite way, right?

To me, it is not a cut and dry debate!
Not saying it’s my argument. I’m saying it’s the ongoing argument. Most of higher education has become predatory regardless of their for-profit status. RVU has been doing a good job not taking advantage of it. But the flip side example of what people are afraid of is California North state university. Thats the fear with for-profit.

I don’t think the tax status of your school comes into play when applying to residency.

Some of the for-profits have issues with loans. That’s the best reason to avoid them IMO.

Some of the for-profits have issues with loans. That’s the best reason to avoid them IMO.

This, from what I recall students aren't able to take out federally subsidized loans at for-profit schools?

This, from what I recall students aren't able to take out federally subsidized loans at for-profit schools?
I don’t think the tax status of your school comes into play when applying to residency.

Oh jeez this would be awful.

they are, just gotta wait until first class graduates

Thank you for the clarification, so many misinformation going around in SDN, it's scary. No federal loan is allowed for any new school be it for-profit or not-for-profit school. Only way to finance your education in KHSC is either self finance or Sallie Mae private loan, it is on their website, not-for-profit school

• Care
My understanding is that for for-profit schools to get federal loans they have to be fully accredited first. Thats means they have to graduate their first class, and then it takes some time after that. I think ICOM graduated their first class last year and still does not have access to loans. RVU, both campuses do have access to federal loans

Not for profit schools can get federal loans for the first class. If the dont, like potentially KHC (I dont know), im assuming its because they rushed to open and figured that step, whatever it entails, could wait a year.

Branch campuses of for profits, like MCOM, I think have to wait 2 years to get federals loans? Im unclear on this, but pretty sure the first class needs to take private.

My understanding is that for for-profit schools to get federal loans they have to be fully accredited first. Thats means they have to graduate their first class, and then it takes some time after that. I think ICOM graduated their first class last year and still does not have access to loans. RVU, both campuses do have access to federal loans

Not for profit schools can get federal loans for the first class. If the dont, like potentially KHC (I dont know), im assuming its because they rushed to open and figured that step, whatever it entails, could wait a year.

Branch campuses of for profits, like MCOM, I think have to wait 2 years to get federals loans? Im unclear on this, but pretty sure the first class needs to take private.
This is right! I think ICOM just got their title so should be soon, the government has been slow

Thank you for the clarification, so many misinformation going around in SDN, it's scary. No federal loan is allowed for any new school be it for-profit or not-for-profit school. Only way to finance your education in KHSC is either self finance or Sallie Mae private loan, it is on their website, not-for-profit school
They actually just got approved for federal loans about a week ago so they should be available for students starting in August!

They actually just got approved for federal loans about a week ago so they should be available for students starting in August!
While private loans seems to be a common concern on SDN, and people should definitely be aware of it, its only a problem for very few schools. With this ICOM news I think its just Noorda, MCOM, CHSU and KHSC.

While private loans seems to be a common concern on SDN, and people should definitely be aware of it, its only a problem for very few schools. With this ICOM news I think its just Noorda, MCOM, CHSU and KHSC.
Sorry I guess maybe it got lost in the thread/how many schools have been mentioned but I meant KHSC got approval not ICOM!

Noorda is my one A atm and while yes private loans are less than idea, I'll still take them over having to go through another cycle

Reactions: 3 users
Noorda is a really good school! current OMS1 there. faculty and staff are really approachable and accommodating. They take student wellness very seriously and also reach out to us to make sure we are doing okay. Don't pass an exam for whatever reason? no worries you can retake it! they have special tutoring sessions for students who are not doing too well in classes. We start board prep from day one with amboss, osmosis, First Aid, incorporated into our lectures, also lots of free board prep materials. Lots of research opportunities too! OMM and clinical skills are taught really well.
DM me for questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Noorda is a really good school! current OMS1 there. faculty and staff are really approachable and accommodating. They take student wellness very seriously and also reach out to us to make sure we are doing okay. Don't pass an exam for whatever reason? no worries you can retake it! they have special tutoring sessions for students who are not doing too well in classes. We start board prep from day one with amboss, osmosis, First Aid, incorporated into our lectures, also lots of free board prep materials. Lots of research opportunities too! OMM and clinical skills are taught really well.
DM me for questions.
I tried to DM you with questions however, for some reason it didn't go through. Would you be willing to answer some of my questions ?

LECOM has some of the best numbers of any DO school, but it's up to you whether the culture is a positive or negative.