Do schools even look at publications and projects ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thomas_Underhill

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this seems like a weird question, but I run a blog, youtube channel, and have gotten some popular science manuscripts published on a few websites.

I have a website where I have compiled everything ive done into one place, kind of like a digital CV, and i uploaded this to the "publications" tab in pharmCAS.

I can see the visitor paths and IP addresses of everyone who looks at my website and NONE of these IP's are from the schools ive applied to. (Even ones that offered me acceptance)

Why does PharmCAS have a tab for listing publications, volunteer work, and etc. if schools wont bother to even look at them ?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a formality for the most part. But, let's say you apply to a top 10 pharmacy program, then they might actually take a look.

Understand that pharmacy school is now dangerously easy to get in to, so as long as you have average credentials and money, they'll accept you.

It's a formality for the most part. But, let's say you apply to a top 10 pharmacy program, then they might actually take a look.

Understand that pharmacy school is now dangerously easy to get in to, so as long as you have average credentials and money, they'll accept you.
Yes, I fully understand the situation I am getting into, its worth pointing out that I am applying to many of the top 5 schools in the nation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools wont bother looking at a redirect link if the publication or work experience can be laid out in a written format which PharmCAS has had for many years (unless some recent changes have been made). I remember putting in my memorabilia awards from the military linked to a redirect of other similar published documents and awards but at the same time it all was required to be typed and labelled under specific categories.

They may not have time nor care to reaffirm the information until after an interview date. Even with some acceptances, if the merit was based on niche experiences and publications it would be confirmed before your enrollment so you don't get punned for falsifying information.

With that, this is pharmacy school...Even with ranked programs the screening of such details would be minimal since academic threshold screenings and other criteria have not been on par as in times past.

lol, no

You’ll get in if you can get approved for$200k+ in student loans.

Reactions: 2 users
I know this seems like a weird question, but I run a blog, youtube channel, and have gotten some popular science manuscripts published on a few websites.

I have a website where I have compiled everything ive done into one place, kind of like a digital CV, and i uploaded this to the "publications" tab in pharmCAS.

I can see the visitor paths and IP addresses of everyone who looks at my website and NONE of these IP's are from the schools ive applied to. (Even ones that offered me acceptance)

Why does PharmCAS have a tab for listing publications, volunteer work, and etc. if schools wont bother to even look at them ?
Pharmacy school is easy to get into. Stop thinking that pharmacy school follows the same criteria for evaluating applicants as medical school.

You seem like a smart undergrad student applying to “top” pharmacy schools. Your time would be best spent by applying to medical schools because medical schools will actually look at your publications.

Please understand the situation you are getting into. Pharmacy is not a merit based profession and strictly based on connections and networking to land you a job. However, medical school is a 99% merit based and 1% networking. Pharmacy also has 0% job growth where as Physician has a faster 7% job growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
If it is already on your uploaded resume or elsewhere in your application, I agree that most schools will not take the extra time to dig into proof or links to information unless they have a reason to doubt it or perhaps after an interview.

Publications can look nice and you should be proud of your accomplishments related to them, but even schools with a big research focus or presence are going to be looking at your personal statement and other materials too.

Maybe when they see your application or after the interview it just makes you more interesting and memorable, like "oh that is the YouTube person with some published articles", but your drive for pharmacy in particular is going to matter just as much or more.

Try to spend less time worrying about whether a school's IP address visited your website, and more time on what matters more like interview preparation and exploring the profession.

Pharmacy school is easy to get into. Stop thinking that pharmacy school follows the same criteria for evaluating applicants as medical school.

You seem like a smart undergrad student applying to “top” pharmacy schools. Your time would be best spent by applying to medical schools because medical schools will actually look at your publications.

Please understand the situation you are getting into. Pharmacy is not a merit based profession and strictly based on connections and networking to land you a job. However, medical school is a 99% merit based and 1% networking. Pharmacy also has 0% job growth where as Physician has a faster 7% job growth.

Its horrible, I cant believe how many of these "for profit" schools there are, some of them charge a sum total of $170k in TUITION alone, not including living expenses, and pharmacists salaries keep going down across the retail and clinical market.

Even at the top schools many of the people there seemed upset with me for asking "how many of your classmates have jobs lined up after graduation ?"

Pharmacy seems like a great career though, for what it is at least.

Im on the fence about med school,
I really dont want to interact with sick ppl and deal with direct contact of patients who have c diff, TB, or something else. (I have some weird autoimmune problems that havent been specified yet)

I got a 99 on the PCAT but I severely doubt I could do as well on the MCAT: to my understanding the new MCAT content contains sociology pseudoscience bs like feminist "theory"

Id also have to take more years off to work and save money for pre reqs

I planned on doing a PharmD + PhD dual degree, my hopes is that doing so will offer me a better niche that protects me from the blunt of the retail and clinical saturation.

hopefully Teaching and maybe even doing clinical research.

PharmD + PhD would take the same amount of time as MD

Its horrible, I cant believe how many of these "for profit" schools there are, some of them charge a sum total of $170k in TUITION alone, not including living expenses, and pharmacists salaries keep going down across the retail and clinical market.

Even at the top schools many of the people there seemed upset with me for asking "how many of your classmates have jobs lined up after graduation ?"

Pharmacy seems like a great career though, for what it is at least.

Im on the fence about med school,
I really dont want to interact with sick ppl and deal with direct contact of patients who have c diff, TB, or something else. (I have some weird autoimmune problems that havent been specified yet)

I got a 99 on the PCAT but I severely doubt I could do as well on the MCAT: to my understanding the new MCAT content contains sociology pseudoscience bs like feminist "theory"

Id also have to take more years off to work and save money for pre reqs

I planned on doing a PharmD + PhD dual degree, my hopes is that doing so will offer me a better niche that protects me from the blunt of the retail and clinical saturation.

hopefully Teaching and maybe even doing clinical research.

PharmD + PhD would take the same amount of time as MD
Okay OP. I definitely understand that you do not want direct patient care, which is not for everyone. There are specialities like radiology, which require 0 patient interaction, but you will be exposed to patients in clerkships during MS3 and MS4. Also, if you were to do MD/PHD, you would still be exposed to patients. Again, perfectly understandable.
You are correct about MCAT. The MCAT has more application based questions than simple memorization compared to PCAT.
If I were you, I would skip PharmD and do a MS in Pharmacology and then do the PH.D, since academia and research is what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Why worry about loans if you make 140k a year.. you can pay that off in a year and a half.

I would worry about loans if I made half that...which is how much most new grads earn if they're lucky enough to land a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
at $84k/ year and declining how long would it take to pay off 200k in loans with housing costs and other expenses?

Should be a calculator link based on salary + taxes with examples of other necessitated bills broken down with take home pay

Why worry about loans if you make 140k a year.. you can pay that off in a year and a half.
Are you trolling? Even if you got a unicorn job that pays $140,000 each year there is something called taxes and compound interest on your loans. $140k/year translates to ~$90k take home pay and that is not even factoring in investments, cost of living expenses etc. $200k in student loans (taking out $50k loans per year at a 7% interest rate) already balloons to $230k by the time you graduate.

By my calculation that is already 2.5 years to pay off your loans and that is assuming you have free rent because you live at home with your parents, spend $0 on food or entertainment and put 100% of your take home salary into paying off your loans.

Realistically it'll take you 5-10 years to pay that off assuming you have a stable $140k job so if your salary is half that at $70k then you're looking at a minimum of 10-20 years to paying off your loans entirely.

Please show us a job listing that pays $140k a year near civilization.

Yes, I fully understand the situation I am getting into, its worth pointing out that I am applying to many of the top 5 schools in the nation.

There's no such thing as a top pharmacy school. The "top" pharmacy school, UCSF, had one of the worst CPJE pass rates recently.

As others have said, if you're gullible enough to take out $200,000 in loans then you're in. Though I don't know why anyone would want to attend in 2020 or beyond.

I'm surprised they haven't dropped the Pharmcas requirement by now.

Should be a calculator link based on salary + taxes with examples of other necessitated bills broken down with take home pay
Thanks!

There's no such thing as a top pharmacy school. The "top" pharmacy school, UCSF, had one of the worst CPJE pass rates recently.

As others have said, if you're gullible enough to take out $200,000 in loans then you're in. Though I don't know why anyone would want to attend in 2020 or beyond.

I'm surprised they haven't dropped the Pharmcas requirement by now.

PharmCAS is a monopolistic sack of garbage, If schools werent so damn lazy that god awful application system wouldnt exists

Are you trolling? Even if you got a unicorn job that pays $140,000 each year there is something called taxes and compound interest on your loans. $140k/year translates to ~$90k take home pay and that is not even factoring in investments, cost of living expenses etc. $200k in student loans (taking out $50k loans per year at a 7% interest rate) already balloons to $230k by the time you graduate.

By my calculation that is already 2.5 years to pay off your loans and that is assuming you have free rent because you live at home with your parents, spend $0 on food or entertainment and put 100% of your take home salary into paying off your loans.

Realistically it'll take you 5-10 years to pay that off assuming you have a stable $140k job so if your salary is half that at $70k then you're looking at a minimum of 10-20 years to paying off your loans entirely.
How do I block you from commenting on anything I post?

He speaks the truth. What is wrong with that?
both of yall be spending every moment of your lives on this forum saying the same things over and over again, may be truthful at times but I really dont value an absolutist opinion.

both of yall be spending every moment of your lives on this forum saying the same things over and over again, may be truthful at times but I really dont value an absolutist opinion.

To be fair, the pre-pharms say the same thing over and over again too. What have I said that's not truthful?

The MCAT is not hard, provided you have a decent foundation in the sciences. Research experience is extremely useful for the MCAT as many of the passages are basically excerpts from scientific journals. I found it useful at least. Your mileage may vary.

There are also quality resources like Berkeley Review MCAT rather than the usual standard fare like Kaplan (which is not terrible, but BR is far superior if you can afford the books or find them used).

As far as "sociology pseudoscience bs like feminist theory" you need to get that chip off your shoulder. Neoliberal ideas are pervasive in the medical profession. Most of your classmates, statistically, will be those who subscribe to "feminist theory bs." Your professors will, too. You will likely see a bit of intersectional radical feminist activists being represented in the dean's office/other faculty and staff. It is a myth that medicine is a politically conservative profession. If you don't agree with those political ideas, you keep your head down and shut up, don't rock the boat, and graduate. You conform or you die.

The MCAT is not hard, provided you have a decent foundation in the sciences. Research experience is extremely useful for the MCAT as many of the passages are basically excerpts from scientific journals. I found it useful at least. Your mileage may vary.

There are also quality resources like Berkeley Review MCAT rather than the usual standard fare like Kaplan (which is not terrible, but BR is far superior if you can afford the books or find them used).

As far as "sociology pseudoscience bs like feminist theory" you need to get that chip off your shoulder. Neoliberal ideas are pervasive in the medical profession. Most of your classmates, statistically, will be those who subscribe to "feminist theory bs." Your professors will, too. You will likely see a bit of intersectional radical feminist activists being represented in the dean's office/other faculty and staff. It is a myth that medicine is a politically conservative profession. If you don't agree with those political ideas, you keep your head down and shut up, don't rock the boat, and graduate. You conform or you die.

thanks for the feedback, like I said, I dont like the level of exposure that accompanies being a physician, but in all honesty its one of the few healthcare professions that pays enough to buy your own house, so I may consider it.

What you are saying is scary to me, but probably not for reasons you might think. I would hope that future and current physicians would be trained well enough in science to draw their own conclusions (ie think for themselves) about the validity of these fields of study.

I still stand by my claim of pseudoscience, Ive never met a sociologist or a psychologist with an understanding in mathematics that goes past 12th grade, or even understood the scientific method: ( asking someone how sad they feel today isn't an objective standardized form of measurement, doing one thing to one person and antohter thing to someone else isn't a control group) There are no laws in psychology or sociology and certainly no quantitative theories to explain said nonexistent laws.

And certainly no mechanism to outline cause and effect, they dont make accurate predictions with any degree of certainty, in fact over half of their publications fail to be replicated.

Im sorry if it seems like I am ranting, but ive done fairly difficult experiments on genetically identical yeasts and still gotten different results (which took MONTHS to figure out why)

I am horrified to hear that someone who operates in a framework to think psychology or sociology falls under the title of "science" would ever be in charge of medical education.

No wonder healthcare doesnt innovate as much as the tech sector does.