Do people update Rad Onc programs they applied to with new info ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently co-authoring a review paper with 2 attendings at my home institution about a novel immunotherapy for pediatric leukemia. Not quite related to Radiation Oncology, but I'm interested in immunotherapy as a cancer treatment and wanted to get involved in research or publication with it at some point in medical school, which finally, I have been given the opportunity to do. My contribution to this project will be substantial, but not in any basic science sense.

None of the information about this paper was included on my ERAS application, namely because I wasn't quite sure where to put it and the project was not definitive at that point. I'm curious if anyone thinks this paper, which was commissioned by a respectable Onc journal and is a guaranteed publication in March, is worthwhile to update Rad Onc programs about, especially given my deficit in this particular area of published papers.

TL;DR
1) Is updating programs you applied to about new activities/papers/presentations something that is ever done?
2) If the answer to #1 is yes, how do you go about doing this? Email the program coordinator?
3) If the answer to #1 is yes, do you think this paper, just in my cursory description of, is a significant enough activity to update about?

Curious what everyone's thoughts are. My inclination is that no, this isn't really done, and that programs pretty much make up their mind about you with an initial review of your application, but I could be wrong. I know I applied this technique to medical school and it seemed to work out for me well in that sense, but I'm unsure about residency.

Members don't see this ad.

which was commissioned by a respectable Onc journal and is a guaranteed publication in March, is worthwhile to update Rad Onc programs about, especially given my deficit in this particular area of published papers.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. It's either accepted for publication or it isn't. I would update for an accepted publication in a rad onc journal. Otherwise I would not.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. It's either accepted for publication or it isn't. I would update for an accepted publication in a rad onc journal. Otherwise I would not.
Solid advice. I will concomitantly refrain from doing so. Thanks!