Do my intern year evaluations matter for my advanced program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassyfrog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have been doing the bare minimum as a transitional year resident and have had some not so favorable evaluations. Do these evaluations get passed to my program next year? Who even reads it?

Members don't see this ad.

Different institutions? doesnt matter. graduate and move on Same institution? would try a bit harder as word can spread easily

I feel like I have been doing the bare minimum as a transitional year resident and have had some not so favorable evaluations. Do these evaluations get passed to my program next year? Who even reads it?
Stop doing the bare minimum! It’s a bad habit to get in. Look for things your current patients have that you will still need to know how to manage in your specialty

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a different program but I believe my TY will send a packet of sorts to my advanced program. Not exactly sure what details will be included or if the PD will even care to read them.
Yeah, it is a bad habit and I'm praying it won't transfer to next year when I'm *supposed* to be doing what I chose to do. It's just been hard for me to motivate myself to learn about orthopedic surgery or pediatrics or ob/gyn.

It's a different program but I believe my TY will send a packet of sorts to my advanced program. Not exactly sure what details will be included or if the PD will even care to read them.
Yeah, it is a bad habit and I'm praying it won't transfer to next year when I'm *supposed* to be doing what I chose to do. It's just been hard for me to motivate myself to learn about orthopedic surgery or pediatrics or ob/gyn.
You will be fine. Don’t fail anything, don’t get into trouble, but otherwise enjoy this time off because once you start residency it will be balls to the wall

Have you already been matched to your advanced program?

Not an issue, no one cares about something they’re not interested in just don’t fail and you’ll be fine

I don’t think it’s normal for a TY program to send anything to your advanced program. As long as you graduate and get your intern diploma…no one will care and your performance during intern year will never matter again.

Not a derm but happened to catch this post and can offer a unique perspective. I did a ty, and like you I coasted with very average reviews. My goal was to pass and party since I knew it was my last chance before my real residency hit. I never anticipated having any future affiliations with the hospital or physicians there as it was not a geography I ever saw myself working in. Fast forward almost 20 years later and I'm now on staff at this hospital...and I thank my lucky stars many of the colleagues I'm working with don't remember I was the pass and party intern under them at one point! I got lucky, so I'd just caution you to be careful if there's any chance you could end up at this facility years later.

Reactions: 3 users
You never know.
Stop doing the bare minimum! It’s a bad habit to get in. Look for things your current patients have that you will still need to know how to manage in your specialty
Professionalism is doing the best even when nobody is looking. If someone is so lazy on purpose during their transitional year, who is to say they won't eventually give a patient cyanide when nobody is looking (usually not but this is a slippery slope of bad behavior).

Knowing other fields well is part of being a good doctor. I learned some great orthopedic surgery and was even allowed to be primary surgeon on a few cases.

Reactions: 2 users
I got mediocre to poor reviews as a medicine intern…none of it mattered for my residency.

Kind of regretting it now as I’m thinking of changing specialties but in general if you didn’t kill someone you’re alright

I don’t think it will hurt you at your advanced program. It’s still a terrible look. We had one of those interns the year (derm prelim) before I showed up for my intern year. He was astoundingly lazy to the point of being unethical. He ruined it for every intern that came after him. We were all watched, extremely closely and treated poorly because his laziness had such a profound negative impact. My understanding is he actually did cross enough of a line that the intern PD reached out to his advanced program, but that could have been a false rumor.

I don’t think it will hurt you at your advanced program. It’s still a terrible look. We had one of those interns the year (derm prelim) before I showed up for my intern year. He was astoundingly lazy to the point of being unethical. He ruined it for every intern that came after him. We were all watched, extremely closely and treated poorly because his laziness had such a profound negative impact. My understanding is he actually did cross enough of a line that the intern PD reached out to his advanced program, but that could have been a false rumor.
Can you give examples of astoundingly lazy

Pretending that you rounded on pts in the morning, but after some time, it became clear he wasn’t actually prerounding. So maybe I should replace astoundingly lazy with lazy and unethical.

Pretending that you rounded on pts in the morning, but after some time, it became clear he wasn’t actually prerounding. So maybe I should replace astoundingly lazy with lazy and unethical.
On an internal medicine rotation he would claim he saw patients in the morning before the attending then during rounds it was discovered he would never see the patient prior to presenting to the attending??

On an internal medicine rotation he would claim he saw patients in the morning before the attending then during rounds it was discovered he would never see the patient prior to presenting to the attending??

Correct. Would just review their chart in the EMR.

• Wow