Do I still have a shot sGPA 3.11 and cGPA 3.27

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecrunchiesttaco21

Reaction score
  1. cGPA 3.27, AMCAS sGPA: 3.08, AACOMAS sGPA: 3.11
  2. MCAT score: 506 (127,126,127,126)
  3. State of residence: IL
  4. Ethnicity: White
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): non-volunteer hours: 3706
  6. Research experience and productivity: 100 hours
  7. Shadowing experience: 8 Hours, internal and pediatric medicine doctor
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: none as of now
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): was a member of my fraternity's executive board for a year long term
  10. Relevant honors or awards: None as of present
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I have shown a strong upward trend in my GPA, with the last 2 years averaging out to about a ~3.6-3.7 GPA, while it was mostly my under performance in my freshman and sophomore year that has led to my admittedly low GPA. I will also say I do intend to take a gap year to improve my ECs. I'm more just curious if my GPA and MCAT are basically non-starters

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could receive interviews at some DO schools. However, you have deficiencies in your application that should be corrected before you submit your application. You should accumulate another 40 hours of in person physician shadowing and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (food bank, homeless shelter, etc.). What is the nature of your clinical experience ?

Reactions: 3 users
I agree. You really are t ready to,apply, at least from what you have shared. Dont apply without 50 hours of shadowing and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteer. What are all those clinical hours about?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. You really are t ready to,apply, at least from what you have shared. Dont apply without 50 hours of shadowing and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteer. What are all those clinical hours about?
You could receive interviews at some DO schools. However, you have deficiencies in your application that should be corrected before you submit your application. You should accumulate another 40 hours of in person physician shadowing and 150+ hours of non clinical volunteering (food bank, homeless shelter, etc.). What is the nature of your clinical experience ?
to answer both of your questions I have been working as an MOA every weekend for the last 2ish years. I take pt vitals, room them, and collect and run common tests (urinalysis, strep, flu, covid, and STI testing)

Reactions: 1 user
yeah I graduate in like 3 weeks and was planning on taking a gap year to get those hours
Just remember, projected hours don't count. If they did, everyone would promise the moon. Don't apply until you cross (or get reasonably close to) those thresholds.

You could apply to some DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
LECOM (all schools)
NYIT (both schools)
Touro-NY
PCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
Noorda-COM
OCOM
DUQCOM
BUCOM
BCOM (both schools)

1. cGPA 3.27, AMCAS sGPA: 3.08, AACOMAS sGPA: 3.11
  2. MCAT score: 506 (127,126,127,126)
  3. State of residence: IL
  4. Ethnicity: White
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): non-volunteer hours: 3706
  6. Research experience and productivity: 100 hours
  7. Shadowing experience: 8 Hours, internal and pediatric medicine doctor
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: none as of now
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): was a member of my fraternity's executive board for a year long term
  10. Relevant honors or awards: None as of present
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I have shown a strong upward trend in my GPA, with the last 2 years averaging out to about a ~3.6-3.7 GPA, while it was mostly my under performance in my freshman and sophomore year that has led to my admittedly low GPA. I will also say I do intend to take a gap year to improve my ECs. I'm more just curious if my GPA and MCAT are basically non-starters
Focus on DO or do a post-bac and if you do well try for MD. Do increase your shadowing hours. And obviously, you need non-clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users