Do I need to take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randyo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm new to the forums and was looking for residency advice in ENT. I only recently discovered that I'm interested in ENT, and it's now rather late in my 3rd year. I never imagined myself to be interested in a surgical subspecialty, but I really enjoyed both the OR and outpatient clinic experiences we have in our required week of ENT.

To get into ENT I have to take at least one extra year doing research to be competitive at most places? Are there things I can do in the MS4 year to improve my chances of matching anywhere without taking time off?

Thanks,
randy

Members don't see this ad.

randyo said:
Hey,
I'm new to the forums and was looking for residency advice in ENT. I only recently discovered that I'm interested in ENT, and it's now rather late in my 3rd year. I never imagined myself to be interested in a surgical subspecialty, but I really enjoyed both the OR and outpatient clinic experiences we have in our required week of ENT.

My scores aren't the most competitive for ENT (Step I = 231), and I only honored one class in the first two years (anatomy/biochemistry). In my 3rd year, things have been better, as I have honored in OB-GYN, medicine, and our school's combined ambulatory course; the other rotations have been high pass (including surgery), and I have yet to do family medicine or neuro/pysch.
I have no research experience, and some volunteer work. My med school is a well-respected place with one of the top ENT depts in the country.

To get into ENT with the above profile, will I have to take at least one extra year doing research to be competitive at most places? Are there things I can do in the MS4 year to improve my chances of matching anywhere without taking time off?

Thanks,
randy

You don't necessarily need to take a year off, but you definitely need to get some research under your belt before you apply. With oto being in the regular match now, you have some time to get things done.