General Admissions & OTCAS Do I have any chance of getting into OT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allyssat

Reaction score
UPDATE! I got into OT school so moral of the story is, don't stress.

Hello, after reading many posts on the forum I am starting to think I have a low chance of getting into OT school..

Stats
Major: Psychology
Minor: Exercise Physiology
GPA: 3.19 (gpa has gotten higher every semester, currently on the Dean's list)
Pre req gpa: 3.67 (pending)
GRE: 294 (I suck at standardized testing!)
Shadowing: 48hrs in pediatrics & 28hrs in hand OT (planning to get more once corona is over)
  • In the process of getting my ABA certification as I was recently hired as a behavior technician
  • Started a dance team at my university & currently serve as the captain
  • Mother Teresa Project Service Leader - in charge of the service project that brings college students to serve at a child care center in an impoverished area
  • Served on student government at my university
Any advice to helping my chances would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For some programs
last 60 credits gpa: 3.4 (pending)

For some programs
last 60 credits gpa: 3.4 (pending)

Don't be discouraged, my stats were not the best either. Most schools look holistically and for me seeing how you have improved each semester is a good sign.

Hopefully once the outbreak passes, you will be able to get more hours. For most schools I applied to they put a lot of emphasis on hours done in different settings and GRE (Verbal and Writing portion getting at least a 4 in writing).

You can totally do this. Just put lots of time on your personal statement (I suggest starting early) and make sure you really show how you really want to be an OT and what inspires you. GPA is not the most important thing to grad schools. Plus, I am pretty sure that a majority of schools will be pretty lenient to applicants next year due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I definitely think you will still be able to get in. My overall gpa wasn't super high (3.45 ish) and pre-req gpa was similar to yours! ( I have been admitted to 3 schools so far, waitlisted at 4, rejected from a couple) . I think what has helped me a lot is some of the unique experiences I had! What you lack in some areas, try to make for in others. Having a high GPA is nice but schools also look at GRE, job experiences, observations, leadership experiences and personal statements. I would also really try to have a strong personal statement. Interviews can also make a big difference, so i would recommend getting interview practice from your school once you get invites ( once i received help i started getting accepted places, it made a huge difference for me! ) Also it can help if you are willing to apply to many places vs just a couple. I know I didn't want to have to apply to a later cycle so I applied many places all over with hopes of getting in somewhere! Hope this helps! Just remember to take it one day at a time and not to doubt yourself too much! best of luck :)

Hi! I definitely think you will still be able to get in. My overall gpa wasn't super high (3.45 ish) and pre-req gpa was similar to yours! ( I have been admitted to 3 schools so far, waitlisted at 4, rejected from a couple) . I think what has helped me a lot is some of the unique experiences I had! What you lack in some areas, try to make for in others. Having a high GPA is nice but schools also look at GRE, job experiences, observations, leadership experiences and personal statements. I would also really try to have a strong personal statement. Interviews can also make a big difference, so i would recommend getting interview practice from your school once you get invites ( once i received help i started getting accepted places, it made a huge difference for me! ) Also it can help if you are willing to apply to many places vs just a couple. I know I didn't want to have to apply to a later cycle so I applied many places all over with hopes of getting in somewhere! Hope this helps! Just remember to take it one day at a time and not to doubt yourself too much! best of luck :)
Do you mind sharing where you applied and your stats?

Do you mind sharing where you applied and your stats?

Sure!
I just finished undergrad with a 3.48 GPA. My prereq gpa really depended on the school probably around a 3.5?
GRE: V 149 Q 146 AW 3.5 (lol wasn't the best)
Related work experience: I worked as a case manger for a domestic violence & sexual assault center
Observation hours: 48 in senior living, 34 in outpatient pediatric
Research Experience: Worked as a research assistant for a psych professor for a year on a study
Leadership Experience: -Exec board for delta zeta sorority twice. -President of Psi Chi (psychology honors society) for one year.
Other: -member of OT club - CPR certified - other little service events
Applied: Tennessee State, Midwestern AZ, Lewis University, Lenoir-Rhyne, Creighton, Brenau, North Central, Marquette, Belmont, Western Michigan
Interviews: All (except lewis didn't do interviews)
Denied: North Central & Belmont (I went to these interviews with a defeated attitude and unprepared which definitely impacted things)
Waitlist: Midwestern AZ, Creighton, Western Michigan
Accepted: Tennessee State, Lewis University, Lenoir-Rhyne, Brenau & Marquette :)

So yeah I applied to a ton because I wasn't sure i'd get in anywhere but now i'm glad I did because i've been able to find a good match for me! Best of luck to you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t get discouraged by your stats! Most schools will look at the prerequisite courses, your personal statement, experience in the field, & your interview. If you’re not super strong in one area try to make up for it in others! Also don’t be afraid to reapply if you don’t get in your first time, I did and it was such a growing experience! I applied to 10 schools last year & only got into 1, but it was very expensive, so I decided to hold off. This year I applied to 7 and got into everyone. The only difference year to year was growth!

My biggest piece of advice overall is to try and connect with the schools ahead of time to get your name out there! It also might be helpful, if you’re able, to find someone in the programs you’re looking into, that has been accepted, & compare your resume to there’s! Feel free to message me if you ever need any tips or pointers! Good luck!

Don’t get discouraged by your stats! Most schools will look at the prerequisite courses, your personal statement, experience in the field, & your interview. If you’re not super strong in one area try to make up for it in others! Also don’t be afraid to reapply if you don’t get in your first time, I did and it was such a growing experience! I applied to 10 schools last year & only got into 1, but it was very expensive, so I decided to hold off. This year I applied to 7 and got into everyone. The only difference year to year was growth!

My biggest piece of advice overall is to try and connect with the schools ahead of time to get your name out there! It also might be helpful, if you’re able, to find someone in the programs you’re looking into, that has been accepted, & compare your resume to there’s! Feel free to message me if you ever need any tips or pointers! Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi! I'm on the same boat as you and am going through the same thoughts and fear. You're not alone!

Hi! I wanted to take the chance and ask what you did in terms of "improving" or "increasing" your chances into getting into more schools. Did you also pick less competitive ones as well?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I wanted to take the chance and ask what you did in terms of "improving" or "increasing" your chances into getting into more schools. Did you also pick less competitive ones as well?

I agree with OTD620K that applying the second time was a growing experience.

For me as this is the second time I applied, what I did different was:

1) Retake certain Pre-Reqs to bring that grade up to an A.
2) Started earlier on my personal statements. I feel like that took the most time to be quite honest from the brainstorming, writing, and having friends proofread. I mean your personal statement is a chance to show how you stand out compared to the crowd.
3) Do research ahead of time on programs that I plan to apply to and I made a spreadsheet to organize all the info to make sure I don't miss the deadlines.
4) Retook my GRE to make sure I met the minimum requirement. I am absolutely terrible at test taking, so improving that writing score and verbal helped I think.
5) I did choose schools on three tiers which were high chance I was not going to get in (top tier), good chance I will get in (middle tier), and backup schools (low tier). I think that increased my chances of getting into schools.

If you have any questions feel free to message me I know applying can be overwhelming and this forum helped me a lot. :)

I agree with OTD620K that applying the second time was a growing experience.

For me as this is the second time I applied, what I did different was:

1) Retake certain Pre-Reqs to bring that grade up to an A.
2) Started earlier on my personal statements. I feel like that took the most time to be quite honest from the brainstorming, writing, and having friends proofread. I mean your personal statement is a chance to show how you stand out compared to the crowd.
3) Do research ahead of time on programs that I plan to apply to and I made a spreadsheet to organize all the info to make sure I don't miss the deadlines.
4) Retook my GRE to make sure I met the minimum requirement. I am absolutely terrible at test taking, so improving that writing score and verbal helped I think.
5) I did choose schools on three tiers which were high chance I was not going to get in (top tier), good chance I will get in (middle tier), and backup schools (low tier). I think that increased my chances of getting into schools.

If you have any questions feel free to message me I know applying can be overwhelming and this forum helped me a lot. :)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 2.99 (I was a biology pre-vet major for the first 2 years at my competitive engineering university and did not do well at all haha. I retook physiology after I graduated so my cumulative undergrad is a 3.03. My last 60 hours is a 3.4).
Prereq GPA: 3.4
GRE: V 155 Q 157 AW 4.0
Related work experience: I took a gap year after I graduated and have been working as an RBT
Observation hours: 52 in peds, 48 in hand therapy, 36 in hippotherapy
Research experience: Research assistant on an educational assistive tech project for 2 years, completed a senior thesis in the same lab
Volunteer experience: Member of a national service sorority for 4 years, interned at a behavioral feeding program for a summer
Applied: USC, UIC, BU, FIU, Midwestern AZ, TWU, Chatham U, D'Youville
Interviews: Midwestern AZ (declined), TWU, Chatham U
Denied: USC, UIC, BU, FIU (they were all reaches but I loved USC's program lol)
Waitlisted: TWU, Chatham U
Accepted: TWU, Chatham U, D'Youville
Attending: TWU Dallas

This was my first year applying, and I was incredibly nervous due to my GPA. I was hoping that admissions would see the significant upward trend in my GPA and that other parts of my application would be strong enough to make up for my GPA, and I guess it worked! I was either waitlisted or denied at schools until late Feb, when I got accepted into D'Youville (didn't require an interview). It really sucks to be waitlisted because you're living in constant doubt, but it's your best friend and you've got to trust it. I didn't really think I'd get in this year, but I believe my personal statement and LORs helped me out tremendously. OT is all about looking at people as a whole, and admissions will want to see that in your application. If you want to know more about my application process or ask me any questions, feel free to message me!

Reactions: 2 users

No I actually reapplied to most of the same programs (Mizzou, KU Med, Wingate, & Rockhurst), but I did also apply to a few new ones (Abilene Christian & Nebraska Methodist) all of which were highly competitive. I gained more hands on experience in the field by working as a Rehab Tech. I also applied much earlier than the year before, which allowed me to get in on some of the earlier interview dates. I tweaked my personal statement to really highlight all of my great traits. My undergraduate program has a 4+1 masters program for Kinesiology so I also did that and worked as a graduate assistant.

If you guys ever need help reviewing personal statements, resumes, or just help with the application process feel free to send me a message. I’d be more than happy to help! :)

Hello, after reading many posts on the forum I am starting to think I have a low chance of getting into OT school..

Stats
GRE: taking in August
Shadowing: 48hrs in pediatrics & 28hrs in hand OT (planning to get more once corona is over)
  • In the process of getting my ABA certification as I was recently hired as a behavior technician
  • Mother Teresa Project Service Leader - in charge of the service project that brings college students to serve at a child care center in an impoverished area
You absolutely have a chance. I made 3 interviews with a decently high GRE, especially with my essay score. I had a 2.5 overall GPA which is gross I know. But I did end up landing 3 interviews at Brunel University, University of Utah, and University of Mary. I ended up getting accepted at Brunel and UMary. DONT GIVE UP

1591148925208.png

No I actually reapplied to most of the same programs (Mizzou, KU Med, Wingate, & Rockhurst), but I did also apply to a few new ones (Abilene Christian & Nebraska Methodist) all of which were highly competitive. I gained more hands on experience in the field by working as a Rehab Tech. I also applied much earlier than the year before, which allowed me to get in on some of the earlier interview dates. I tweaked my personal statement to really highlight all of my great traits. My undergraduate program has a 4+1 masters program for Kinesiology so I also did that and worked as a graduate assistant.

If you guys ever need help reviewing personal statements, resumes, or just help with the application process feel free to send me a message. I’d be more than happy to help! :)
Hi! I came across this and am curious what your experience with KU was like? Did you interview with them?

Hi! I came across this and am curious what your experience with KU was like? Did you interview with them?
I am also curious... I have confirmation that my application was submitted but I have not heard from them at all.

UPDATE! I got into OT school so moral of the story is, don't stress.

Stats
GRE: 294 (I suck at standardized testing!)
where did you get in?
\