Do I have a chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bballgirl11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:oops: I'm an African-American female who is graduating this May as well as retaking the MCAT for a much better score with my GPA (overall) being a 3.01 and my science being a 3.2 do I have a chance of getting in even with a solid MCAT score. (25 and above)

Members don't see this ad.

:oops: I'm an African-American female who is graduating this May as well as retaking the MCAT for a much better score with my GPA (overall) being a 3.01 and my science being a 3.2 do I have a chance of getting in even with a solid MCAT score. (25 and above)

The average GPA/MCAT for medical school matriculants in 2005 (the last year that we have these numbers) is 30/3.6. Your overall 3.01 is well below these averages and 25 is not a "solid" MCAT score.

You definitely want to score well above 30 on the MCAT and you likely need to do some post bacc work to get that GPA above 3.5. In spite of what you hear out there, you need to be at least floating near the averages (regardless of ethnicity) in order to be a competitive applicant.

As you have elected to retake the MCAT, you need to be sure that you are going to be thoroughly prepared for this exam. This means having analyzed why you scored poorly on the test when you took it the first time and correcting your deficiencies. If you have not taken care of these things, you will be sitting there with two poor scores along with a low GPA which may decrease your chances of acceptance into medical school.

Another option for you might be a program (like the Georgetown GEMS) where you can show that you are capable of handling a medical school curriculum. Investigate this program and others like it.

As a member of an admissions committee, I would strongly encourage you to do some post bacc work to get that undergrad GPA up and shore up your test-taking skills before attempting the MCAT. A strong upward trend along with a strong MCAT (above 30) would help you greatly in achieving your goals.

i have a 2.6 gpa and will do a post bac to finish requirement classes...i'm still keeping my head up though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember you have more options than just MD. DO and DPM programs will offer you a great chance to be a doctor.

I'm not all for telling people to settle, but I think that sometimes people get blinders and only think they have 1 option.

The average GPA/MCAT for medical school matriculants in 2005 (the last year that we have these numbers) is 30/3.6. Your overall 3.01 is well below these averages and 25 is not a "solid" MCAT score.

You definitely want to score well above 30 on the MCAT and you likely need to do some post bacc work to get that GPA above 3.5. In spite of what you hear out there, you need to be at least floating near the averages (regardless of ethnicity) in order to be a competitive applicant.

As you have elected to retake the MCAT, you need to be sure that you are going to be thoroughly prepared for this exam. This means having analyzed why you scored poorly on the test when you took it the first time and correcting your deficiencies. If you have not taken care of these things, you will be sitting there with two poor scores along with a low GPA which may decrease your chances of acceptance into medical school.

Another option for you might be a program (like the Georgetown GEMS) where you can show that you are capable of handling a medical school curriculum. Investigate this program and others like it.

As a member of an admissions committee, I would strongly encourage you to do some post bacc work to get that undergrad GPA up and shore up your test-taking skills before attempting the MCAT. A strong upward trend along with a strong MCAT (above 30) would help you greatly in achieving your goals.

I agree with Dr.B

The GPA will most likely be a problem, but you do not have to get above a 30 on the MCAT to get in.

Hey girl, do the best you can, besides you'll never know unless you try. Keep on pushin to bring up your GPA and to do well on the MCAT. Also remember that numbers aren't the only thing that an admissions committee looks at, they also look at your determination, committment and personal experience in the healthcare field. Just keep working hard, it will pay off.

Thanks so much for the advice and kind words!

hey, you might want to look at the stats found on the AAMC website. you can search matriculand versus applicant pool stats by ethnicity. I highly recommend it!

I agree with DukeLaura. And remember that 30/3.6 is the average, meaning that some people score well above and some score well below, but they still got in. Best of luck to you!!!