Do I ever have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duramaterdoc

Pessimistic Idealist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm one of those "unhappy" residents wanting to do a career move. I'm interested in possibly doing rads, but b/c of family, I have a limited geographic area...

Truely need an expert opinion here....

1) What are my chances of matching? Currently, I matched into one of those specialties that "used" to be real competitive but is declining.

2) How do I make it happen? I will obviously have to spend some time on the sidelines...how is this time best spent? (Are there pre-residency fellows in rads?)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

duramaterdoc:

Although I can't answer your questions, and defer to the residents for that answer - can I ask what about NS is turning you away? And why the switch to Rads instead of another related surgical specialty (like ENT)? I realize (and have previously posted) that the attrition rate in NS is 20-30% at some places, most likely due to a multitude of factors - but it is always best to hear the reasons from someone going through the process themselves.

Would you care to elaborate?

Thanks,

Airborne

I am assuming that you are a neurosurgery resident, which would indicate that you have great stats. I think you have a great chance if you push your ns background. Neuroradiology is a small but important subspecialty, your experience would enable you to do well in the field especially if you choose neurointerventional. My program had residents who switched over from ortho, ENT, Opth, Gen Surg and even a board-certified Pathologist. Check out the strong Interv. Neurorad programs such as NYU and U Wisc.
There are good websites such as the Radiological Society of North America (www. rsna.org), American College of Radiology, American Roentgen Ray Society and American Journal of Neuroradiology. Good luck.
By the way, how far are you along in your ns training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neurosurgery is such a challenging yet fulfilling field. Why would you want to switch out. As for the financial reward - my classmate was paid $800K his first year out!

Originally posted by Ctrhu
Neurosurgery is such a challenging yet fulfilling field. Why would you want to switch out?

I have a female friend whom I've known for many years. She comes from a pretty wealthy family and told me about her next- door neighbor and best friend. They'd known each other since childhood and my friend had spent a lot of time at her neighbor friend's house as a kid... playing house, slumber parties, talking about boys etc. This neighbor friend's father was a Neurosurgeon. Even though my friend had spent countless hours at this neighbor's house over many years, she had never once seen her best friend's father. She'd seen him in pictures at the house, but never actually met him b/c he was always at work.

Originally posted by Dr. Cuts
I have a female friend whom I've known for many years. She comes from a pretty wealthy family and told me about her next- door neighbor and best friend. They'd known each other since childhood and my friend had spent a lot of time at her neighbor friend's house as a kid... playing house, slumber parties, talking about boys etc. This neighbor friend's father was a Neurosurgeon. Even though my friend had spent countless hours at this neighbor's house over many years, she had never once seen her best friend's father. She'd seen him in pictures at the house, but never actually met him b/c he was always at work.

Whatever. She wasn't complaining when her dad bought her a jag when she turned 16. And I bet she never had any college debt. What more can a kid want? Besides, her dad was probably a prick anyway... she was better off never seeing him. :love:

What good is there in making a lot of money if all you're going to do with it is give it to your (soon-to-be) ex-wife. Besides, rads income is comparable (if not better) and the lifestyle is enviable. Not to mention that many "neurosurgical" patients are now finding their way to the neurointerventional suite.