DO ENT Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockey40

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, kind of a WAMC thread but also looking for some advice.

Little bit about me:
DO 3rd year
COMLEX 1 740
USMLE 1 249
Taking Step 2 in July
5 research experiences (2 in ENT), no pubs but I might have 2 by the time ERAS opens
Decent ECs but nothing that'll blow you away.
Letters should be good, including ENT PD

Here's my problem. I know as a DO I'm fighting a huge uphill battle for MD residencies, but all but 1 DO programs don't have initial accreditation. Would it make sense to try for these DO residencies on the off chance that they don't get accredidation, or risk it in the MD match? Does it seem like the landscape is changing a bit for DOs applying MD ENT or is it still really unheard of? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a new rule that all residents of AOA programs that do not meet ACGME requirements by 2020 will be able to complete their training and advance to board eligibility. I had similar stats as a med stud and was terrified of applying ACGME only lest I not match. Unfortunately, in MD ACGME programs (of course excepting Henry Ford), if it came down to a decision between an MD and marginally better DO candidate, the former would win nearly every time. Your stats are average in the MD world, so it would definitely be an uphill battle. Great PD letters can help, as well as publications and a baller Step 2, but I'm sure you know all of that. My advice would be to do a few aways at the better DO ENT progams and one at an MD program you think would be attainable. Apply to every program in both matches and go to as many interviews as you can, then only rank the AOA programs you feel would provide equivalent training. If match day comes and you don't secure a spot in the AOA, then you have the ACGME match. If for some reason you don't match into ENT at all, then you should have a solid back up - most people I know went for general surgery, anesthesia, or rads. Anyone who tells you that you should be do or die ENT is dumb. A backup is essential for any competitive field, especially DO ENT where the match rate is under 50%. Finally, I wouldn't worry so much about accreditation; the process moves slowly, and I expect in the next 2 years or so we'll know who isn't going to make the cut. Your board eligibility won't be in danger, so apply DO because you will actually have a fair shot at acceptance. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, kind of a WAMC thread but also looking for some advice.

Little bit about me:
DO 3rd year
COMLEX 1 740
USMLE 1 249
Taking Step 2 in July
5 research experiences (2 in ENT), no pubs but I might have 2 by the time ERAS opens
Decent ECs but nothing that'll blow you away.
Letters should be good, including ENT PD

Here's my problem. I know as a DO I'm fighting a huge uphill battle for MD residencies, but all but 1 DO programs don't have initial accreditation. Would it make sense to try for these DO residencies on the off chance that they don't get accredidation, or risk it in the MD match? Does it seem like the landscape is changing a bit for DOs applying MD ENT or is it still really unheard of? Thanks guys!

I’m also a DO considering ENT and just stumbled across this thread. Now that you’ve gone through the process, how is it for DOs trying to get into ACGME ENT residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m also a DO considering ENT and just stumbled across this thread. Now that you’ve gone through the process, how is it for DOs trying to get into ACGME ENT residencies?
Ended up only getting one MD interview, and that was with a 260+ Step 2. I by no means applied broadly on the MD side but I ended up having publications, strong letters, and both Steps on my app, and still heard mostly crickets. At this point, my advice to rising DO applicants would be to focus on the accredited DO programs. I think if you’re dead set on an MD residency then a year off allowing you to get multiple pubs and connections within the MD ENT world is a must. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 2 users
I met a DO applicant on the MD trail this year. He was a baller; I believe he had done 6 or 7 ENT aways at MD programs, and got enough interviews that he was over the "90%" match number. So, it is possible for a DO to match MD residency, it is just significantly harder.

I met a DO applicant on the MD trail this year. He was a baller; I believe he had done 6 or 7 ENT aways at MD programs, and got enough interviews that he was over the "90%" match number. So, it is possible for a DO to match MD residency, it is just significantly harder.

Probably also had a lot of research and great connections. Sounds like he set himself up really well! Was he interviewing at any upper tier programs?

Yes, he was definitely interviewing at upper tier programs. I think he is probably an exception to the general biases that exist in surgical subspecialties.

Yes, he was definitely interviewing at upper tier programs. I think he is probably an exception to the general biases that exist in surgical subspecialties.

Wow. Yeah, he was probably an exception due to having really influential connections that were able to make calls for him. Interested to see where he matches.

I know a bottom quartile DO student with 237 / 255 usmle that applied everywhere and got 6-7 MD interviews on top of his DO interviews. He ended up matching DO ENT though so who knows what would have happened in the NRMP.

I know a bottom quartile DO student with 237 / 255 usmle that applied everywhere and got 6-7 MD interviews on top of his DO interviews. He ended up matching DO ENT though so who knows what would have happened in the NRMP.

I have it from a very good source that there were at least 5 ENT applicants this year with 10+ ACGME interviews. All of them matched AOA so who knows what could have happened.

There definitely were some strong applicants this year. Hard to say if they would of done well in the NRMP. With almost all D.O programs still in the NMS they would of been stupid to skip out on it.