DO derm residency/TRI options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zinger89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with having to apply to derm as a PGY1, it seems like the options are very limited if you don't end up matching. Does anyone know, can you only scramble into other PGY2 positions that also require a TRI (rads, pm&r, etc)? Or could you scramble, for example, into a PGY2 family medicine position?

Members don't see this ad.

So with having to apply to derm as a PGY1, it seems like the options are very limited if you don't end up matching. Does anyone know, can you only scramble into other PGY2 positions that also require a TRI (rads, pm&r, etc)? Or could you scramble, for example, into a PGY2 family medicine position?

Its program specific whether any program will accept a TRI as PGY-1, but FM and IM programs would be more likely to do so.

You can scramble into whatever program agrees, but it's something you should ask upfront. I've also heard of some programs accepting a portion of the tri (e.g. 6 months), so you'd just end off-schedule (doesn't really matter unless you want a fellowship).

You also have the option of repeating PGY-1 in a categorical program, but that's undesirable for obvious reasons.

Its program specific whether any program will accept a TRI as PGY-1, but FM and IM programs would be more likely to do so.

You can scramble into whatever program agrees, but it's something you should ask upfront. I've also heard of some programs accepting a portion of the tri (e.g. 6 months), so you'd just end off-schedule (doesn't really matter unless you want a fellowship).

You also have the option of repeating PGY-1 in a categorical program, but that's undesirable for obvious reasons.

thanks for the info, hope there are some programs that will accept a TRI if I don't make the cut.