DMU vs. KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Class of 2010 and Below, I'm stuck...I loved both schools, although definitly leaning towards DMU because I liked it more. I know there are a lot of factors that factor into this decision, and so if you could take your time and give any things you definitly liked/hate about your school, or if you had to make the same decision, what did you think about? I would like to make a decision soon because I feel guilty hanging onto an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Class of 2010 and Below, I'm stuck...I loved both schools, although definitly leaning towards DMU because I liked it more. I know there are a lot of factors that factor into this decision, and so if you could take your time and give any things you definitly liked/hate about your school, or if you had to make the same decision, what did you think about? I would like to make a decision soon because I feel guilty hanging onto an acceptance.
DMU! You get a computer/PDA included in tuition (which is lower than KCOM I believe), Des Moines is much bigger than Kirksville, stellar OMM reputation, brand new student Ed. center w/ wireless everywhere, collaborative student environment, great faculty, blah blah blah...

Kirksville is great for families I have heard, due to the SUPER CHEAP housing/cost of living. However I've heard that it can get boring if you are there on your own ( I was told twice that the "thing to do" in Kirksville when you have free time is going to super wal-mart...)

I think they're both great schools but I ended up choosing DMU becuase it has everything that is good about KCOM and then some more. Good luck on your choice, you really can't go wrong with either one...

I don't have anything against DMU at all, in fact I loved it there, but many people seem to be getting swept up with the bells & whistles DMU offers. Plenty of schools budget in money for a laptop - and you get to CHOOSE the one you want. Extras like this, and others - really aren't the reason to choose a school. Wherever you feel is the best fit for you, and wherever will cost less, seems like more sustainable deciding factors then newer facilities and toys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your thoughts, anyone else? I just want to do what is right, and not think second about it in 10 years, ya know?

Thank you so much for your thoughts, anyone else? I just want to do what is right, and not think second about it in 10 years, ya know?

KCOM and DMU were both options for me, and I ultimately chose DMU. My reasons for choosing DMU will in no way help you to decide what school is best for you. All I can tell you is that you likely already know which school fits you best. Don't deny that instinct. Go with it. If you haven't done an adequate amount of research into each school at this point, then you likely never will. I'm willing to bet that you know everything there is to know about each school. Thus, you have all of the tools to make the right decision.

Finally, both schools are fantastic. I can guarantee that neither school will let you down academically, so if that is one of your fears....fear not. Both have solid reputations and are well known because of their histories. So in my mind, your decision ultimately comes down to which school you feel best fits you. You'll be happy wherever you go, because you're living out your dream (sorry for the cliche).

KCOM and DMU were both options for me, and I ultimately chose DMU. My reasons for choosing DMU will in no way help you to decide what school is best for you. All I can tell you is that you likely already know which school fits you best. Don't deny that instinct. Go with it. If you haven't done an adequate amount of research into each school at this point, then you likely never will. I'm willing to bet that you know everything there is to know about each school. Thus, you have all of the tools to make the right decision.

Finally, both schools are fantastic. I can guarantee that neither school will let you down academically, so if that is one of your fears....fear not. Both have solid reputations and are well known because of their histories. So in my mind, your decision ultimately comes down to which school you feel best fits you. You'll be happy wherever you go, because you're living out your dream (sorry for the cliche).

Amen. You need to go with what fits you best. PM any of us at DMU if you have any questions. Good luck.

I am in a similar pickle; my final decision is coming down to DMU and KCOM (and UNECOM if the interview goes well this Tuesday). Leaning significantly towards DMU. Can any KCOMers and DMUers (I know you guys will :thumbup: ) comment on clinical rotations. I've heard a little from JBone via PM, but is there any news on what's going to happen with DMU's clinicals staying in Iowa? Will you get to stay in one location, or have to move about the state? I know, according to Dr. Robbins, at KCOM you get placed in one town and do all your cores within that area.
Also, is DMU for sure getting the human patient sims? I know KCOM has two and is getting six more for the new building.
Any additional info about either school would be great too, escpecially from the KCOMers since we don't hear much from you compared to the DMUers.

The decision's also going to be a lot easier when DMU's scholarship committee meets. If I get a Presidential or Dean's scholarship I'm there for sure :D .

I was accepted at both and the final choice came down to Des Moines being closer to Minnesota than Kirksville.

From what I know, they are both good schools and you'll get a solid education either place.

I am in a similar pickle; my final decision is coming down to DMU and KCOM (and UNECOM if the interview goes well this Tuesday). Leaning significantly towards DMU. Can any KCOMers and DMUers (I know you guys will :thumbup: ) comment on clinical rotations. I've heard a little from JBone via PM, but is there any news on what's going to happen with DMU's clinicals staying in Iowa? Will you get to stay in one location, or have to move about the state? I know, according to Dr. Robbins, at KCOM you get placed in one town and do all your cores within that area.
Also, is DMU for sure getting the human patient sims? I know KCOM has two and is getting six more for the new building.
Any additional info about either school would be great too, escpecially from the KCOMers since we don't hear much from you compared to the DMUers.

The decision's also going to be a lot easier when DMU's scholarship committee meets. If I get a Presidential or Dean's scholarship I'm there for sure :D .

Don't quote me on this one but I do believe that DMU will be getting 4 of these human patient sims. I'll check and get back to you.
j

You guys are all awesome, and I appreciate ALL your thoughts. I won't lie, I felt that gut feeling while at DMU, and will most likely go there. However, KCOM's clinical program felt stronger to me, and so I get torn between the two. I ponder about how big a difference actually moving to your rotation site would be versus traveling to a number of sites. KCOM vs. DMU. Thanks again! Oh, and when you get word on those patient sims, that would be great. Any other thoughts on what to consider as I choose between the two?

You guys are all awesome, and I appreciate ALL your thoughts. I won't lie, I felt that gut feeling while at DMU, and will most likely go there. However, KCOM's clinical program felt stronger to me, and so I get torn between the two. I ponder about how big a difference actually moving to your rotation site would be versus traveling to a number of sites. KCOM vs. DMU. Thanks again! Oh, and when you get word on those patient sims, that would be great. Any other thoughts on what to consider as I choose between the two?

patient sims: bells & whistles.
Clinical experiences - important.
Gut instinct - most important.

patient sims: bells & whistles.
Clinical experiences - important.
Gut instinct - most important.
I'd just like to say that, while that gut feeling is the MOST important factor in making one's school decision, don't count out the "bells and whistles" which can be the extra educational tool that one needs to excel in med school... I know that something like a patient simulator can help one gain confidence when in the clinical setting, much more than just talking about how to treat sudden drops in BP, or what to give first when running a code, etc...

Whatever helps you learn and gain confidence in the bedside setting should be factored in to your decision, IMHO. To what degree? That's up to the one making the decision (below "gut feeling" and how rotations are run, of course).

Just my 2 cents...

I'd just like to say that, while that gut feeling is the MOST important factor in making one's school decision, don't count out the "bells and whistles" which can be the extra educational tool that one needs to excel in med school... I know that something like a patient simulator can help one gain confidence when in the clinical setting, much more than just talking about how to treat sudden drops in BP, or what to give first when running a code, etc...

Whatever helps you learn and gain confidence in the bedside setting should be factored in to your decision, IMHO. To what degree? That's up to the one making the decision (below "gut feeling" and how rotations are run, of course).

Just my 2 cents...

YES! I agree - absolutely!! What I meant is simply that you won't find THAT much variation from school to school on these features. As soon as one school gets the latest, greatest, coolest new thing, the rest are pretty close behind. Therefore, I don't feel like getting all super-wowed and impressed by these things is that important a consideration because most schools are going to be on par with one another in this regard. So far all the places I've interviewed at are on par with each other in this regard - some just show it off more than others. I know that when you're in the daily grind of school, that kind of "Wow - cool technology" thing will wear off fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES! I agree - absolutely!! What I meant is simply that you won't find THAT much variation from school to school on these features. As soon as one school gets the latest, greatest, coolest new thing, the rest are pretty close behind. Therefore, I don't feel like getting all super-wowed and impressed by these things is that important a consideration because most schools are going to be on par with one another in this regard. So far all the places I've interviewed at are on par with each other in this regard - some just show it off more than others. I know that when you're in the daily grind of school, that kind of "Wow - cool technology" thing will wear off fast.

At this point, I think I could go to school in a hole in the ground. As long as they have good teachers, a kick ass place to study and lots of alcohol for those rare times we don't have exams, whats the difference? Its not like I get out ever to see the community aside from when I run through it at 10 pm to clear my mind. I feel like a hobit :( . Go by your instincts, they will tell you what school feels most like home to you. That is the school you want to go to. The school you can see yourself graduating from and being proud of. The school you can see yourself sitting in the library for 10 hours on any given day. Go to the school that makes you the happiest. Lets all hold hands now.

At this point, I think I could go to school in a hole in the ground. As long as they have good teachers, a kick ass place to study and lots of alcohol for those rare times we don't have exams, whats the difference? Its not like I get out ever to see the community aside from when I run through it at 10 pm to clear my mind. I feel like a hobit :( . Go by your instincts, they will tell you what school feels most like home to you. That is the school you want to go to. The school you can see yourself graduating from and being proud of. The school you can see yourself sitting in the library for 10 hours on any given day. Go to the school that makes you the happiest. Lets all hold hands now.

I feel like we are getting off topic here. Not that I don't appreciate your (or other current applicant) input, but I posted in the class thread place because I wanted current student's inputs. Thanks. :)

You have heard all of everyone talking about all of 'bell's & whistles' at DMU. Yeah, we pretty much have them all (& I think it's 8 pt. sims not 4). Anyway, bottom line is that Des Moines is a cool place to be. There is more stuff to do here than you will have time to do b/c it is the largest city in Iowa...however, it still has a small town feel to it. You can honestly get anywhere you need to go in 10-15 minutes.

When I went to KCOM, I knew I couldn't do 2 years, let alone 4, in Kirksville. The facilities were okay, but my high school had better labs than they did. By the way...buying a microscope = for PhD's, not med students. I have nothing against the school, but I did hate Kirksville.

I can answer more by PM if needed. Good luck.

I feel like we are getting off topic here. Not that I don't appreciate your (or other current applicant) input, but I posted in the class thread place because I wanted current student's inputs. Thanks. :)

If I am not a current student at DMU, please tell the biochemistry department this so I don't have to take this massive exam tomorrow.

yea, don't make me smack u during OMM jamers, and i go to dmu by the way, so i can post here right?

Boner,

The impression that I got from the DMU student that I stayed with is that the rotations at DMU are not real organized, but it could have been just this student.

The KCOM rotations seem to be much more organized, imo.

I love KCOM. What does that mean for you? Well, not much. So if you've interviewed at both already, I'd say you're most likely going to be accepted. So why not visit both schools again during that time between acceptance and deposit due? Honestly, if you come wander aimlessly around at KCOM, you can learn alot from students who aren't ambassadors. Don't get me wrong. I like the ambassadors, but you know what I mean. I didn't apply to DMU, so I can't give much insight on the difference between the two. As sad as it is, I didn't apply to DMU because I am a southern girl who can only go so far north before I freeze to death. KCOM has clinical rotations all over the place. I'm shooting for Florida or Arizona to escape the cold, lol. So my point is, the interview day is great, and you get lots of info and see everything the administration wants you to see and that's it.
So let's see. Negatives about KCOM is pretty much just Kirksville. I had to order my new running shoes online because I couldn't find a store in town that carried Adidas shoes. You're pretty much going to run out of places to go in the first couple of weeks. Cost of living is insanely cheap though.
I have no complaints at all about the school, administration, facilities, curriculum, anything. The professors are really cool too, and definitely care that you are doing well. This is definitely a place where the administration wants to make sure everyone succeeds. You will never feel like just a number here. There are tons of clubs and intramural sports, so even though Kirksville is boring, I am never terribly bored.
Anyway, DMU and KCOM are both pretty much top of the line in med schools, so just be happy you get to make a choice between two of the best. Nice shoes to be in. :) If you have any questions about KCOM, PM me. Good luck with your decision. :luck:

Boner,

The impression that I got from the DMU student that I stayed with is that the rotations at DMU are not real organized, but it could have been just this student.

The KCOM rotations seem to be much more organized, imo.

They are actually really organized you just have more options on where you want to go. 3rd year is really structured and the 4th year, they give you a large # of elective rotations. If you want it all handed to you with little choice, then yes, you need to look elsewhere. I personally like the choice. IMHO. Good luck with your choice.

They are actually really organized you just have more options on where you want to go. 3rd year is really structured and the 4th year, they give you a large # of elective rotations. If you want it all handed to you with little choice, then yes, you need to look elsewhere. I personally like the choice. IMHO. Good luck with your choice.

The number of electives that we're allotted during the 4th year was one of the primary reasons that I chose DMU. I love having the option to choose the rotations I want so that I can get a great feel for a wider variety of fields.

For me, it's a matter of being able to stay in one place for a significant period of time during third year - I hate moving. Is this a possibility at DMU, and do some students so this? Regardless, unless UNECOM is amazing, looks like I'll be matriculating at DMU.

I also really love KCOM. Kirksville is a small town, but I haven't had too hard of a time finding things when I need them, there is always Columbia which isn't too far away if you are needing to buy more specialized things, or have the need to be in a larger area. Although you seriously do not have much free time as a medical student, I know many people who visit the bars on the weekend, and they DONT just hang out at walmart!!! Also you do not need to buy a microscope. If you desire your own you can buy one, but an organization on campus rents them for like 300 (includes both years). I know a lot of premeds focus on the quality of the lab, but truth is that it really doesnt matter. For histology you lookin your microscope-- you dont really need anything in the lab besides a chair and a flat desktop. And in the anatomy lab, you need a table for the cadaver to lay on, and a cadaver. The glitzy high tech stuff is just something that lures potential students. However, we do have a huge new building being built that should be completed by the time you all would be starting class. There will be more study rooms and a brand new OTM lab. Thats another area where you shouldnt be won over by facilities. All you need are good study OTM tables and a partner to learn/practice on. The people are so very warm and friendly here. I love my decision, but I agree that you need to go on what feels best to you. However, don't just overlook Kirksville based on the small nature of the town. There are things to do, and hardly ANY time for you to do them haha. Good luck on your decision!!

I also really love KCOM. Kirksville is a small town, but I haven't had too hard of a time finding things when I need them, there is always Columbia which isn't too far away if you are needing to buy more specialized things, or have the need to be in a larger area. Although you seriously do not have much free time as a medical student, I know many people who visit the bars on the weekend, and they DONT just hang out at walmart!!! Also you do not need to buy a microscope. If you desire your own you can buy one, but an organization on campus rents them for like 300 (includes both years). I know a lot of premeds focus on the quality of the lab, but truth is that it really doesnt matter. For histology you lookin your microscope-- you dont really need anything in the lab besides a chair and a flat desktop. And in the anatomy lab, you need a table for the cadaver to lay on, and a cadaver. The glitzy high tech stuff is just something that lures potential students. However, we do have a huge new building being built that should be completed by the time you all would be starting class. There will be more study rooms and a brand new OTM lab. Thats another area where you shouldnt be won over by facilities. All you need are good study OTM tables and a partner to learn/practice on. The people are so very warm and friendly here. I love my decision, but I agree that you need to go on what feels best to you. However, don't just overlook Kirksville based on the small nature of the town. There are things to do, and hardly ANY time for you to do them haha. Good luck on your decision!!

Keep it coming! This is the info I am looking for :). Thanks everyone!

jbone, I'm not doubting that. I think this particular student was just "freaking out" about his 3rd year and 4th yr. schedule and was totally in the dark. This was Hospital day back in September.

So I will give my 2 cents worth since I did apply to both schools, I lived in Des Moines until I was 18 and then went to the University of Iowa and I ended up choosing KCOM. Here is why I chose KCOM. The town atmosphere was not a problem for me. I grew up on the way edge of Des Moines in the country and went to a small country school so I was use the the small town atmosphere even though I had everything I needed in Des Moines within a 5 min driving time and I don't have that in Kirksville, but seriously, while you are in medical school, sometimes you don't have time to even take a long relaxing bath let alone, take an afternoon to go shopping or something. The clinical rotations were a big thing that drew me to Kirksville. I worked at the VA medical center in Iowa city for 3 years and asked the residents there why they chose the schools they did and did they like their 4 years. The KCOM residents loved all 4 years and the DMU students complained about their rotations. Now they did their rotations 4 years ago so maybe things have changed but I don't know. The other thing I liked about KCOM was their friendliness. It didn't seem that anyone was unhappy. That was not how I felt about DMU. My interviewer was very unprofessional and even crossed the line with his line of questioning. I got the question "Do you think it is right that Bush is turning Iraq into a democracy?" You don't bring politics or religion into a medical school interview and then after I gave my answer, he critized me for my answer and then came back with the reply "Oh you must be a democrat with that kind of answer" I felt that if their interviewer's oversteped the rules, I didn't want to see what other rules they broke so I just went with my gut and chose KCOM. But what everyone else has said is true, you do have to just go with what YOUR gut says.

Lindsay

So I will give my 2 cents worth since I did apply to both schools, I lived in Des Moines until I was 18 and then went to the University of Iowa and I ended up choosing KCOM. Here is why I chose KCOM. The town atmosphere was not a problem for me. I grew up on the way edge of Des Moines in the country and went to a small country school so I was use the the small town atmosphere even though I had everything I needed in Des Moines within a 5 min driving time and I don't have that in Kirksville, but seriously, while you are in medical school, sometimes you don't have time to even take a long relaxing bath let alone, take an afternoon to go shopping or something. The clinical rotations were a big thing that drew me to Kirksville. I worked at the VA medical center in Iowa city for 3 years and asked the residents there why they chose the schools they did and did they like their 4 years. The KCOM residents loved all 4 years and the DMU students complained about their rotations. Now they did their rotations 4 years ago so maybe things have changed but I don't know. The other thing I liked about KCOM was their friendliness. It didn't seem that anyone was unhappy. That was not how I felt about DMU. My interviewer was very unprofessional and even crossed the line with his line of questioning. I got the question "Do you think it is right that Bush is turning Iraq into a democracy?" You don't bring politics or religion into a medical school interview and then after I gave my answer, he critized me for my answer and then came back with the reply "Oh you must be a democrat with that kind of answer" I felt that if their interviewer's oversteped the rules, I didn't want to see what other rules they broke so I just went with my gut and chose KCOM. But what everyone else has said is true, you do have to just go with what YOUR gut says.

Lindsay

Just to help everyone else out, and yes Futurewhatever, I am first year student here at DMU (the signature at the bottom of my posts should have been enough for that), anyways, interviewers are allowed to ask any questions aside from age, sexual preference, ect. This question was a trick and I got a very similar one (how would I make health care more affordable...which got turned into "you wont RAISE MY taxes will you)? The trick is called tact, give your answer but toe the line. What they are looking for is someone to fly off the handle and give some outlandish response and then to get defensive when they fire back. You shouldn't have taken it personally, its all part of this weeding our process. An answer to that question would have been, "Well, I am not a political person or the head of the government, so I can't really make a decision on that. If I had to give an opinion, I guess I would say I think it is best for them to decide. Which, of course, is harder than it sounds..." That way you didn't step on anyones toes, you didn't say BUSH SUCKS (which of course he does) and you didn't fly off the handle. This is how I got out of the question posed to me. I wish you luck and I am sorry you didn't like DMU, but every school does those questions.

If I am not a current student at DMU, please tell the biochemistry department this so I don't have to take this massive exam tomorrow.

Sorry its taken me so long to reply, but I just wanted to apologize, the way you worded your statement, I just assumed you were not yet a student. I appreciate your input, and in saying what I said, I did not want to attack you, but just make sure we stayed on subject. Again, I'm sorry, hope that biochem test went well.

Just to help everyone else out, and yes Futurewhatever, I am first year student here at DMU (the signature at the bottom of my posts should have been enough for that), anyways, interviewers are allowed to ask any questions aside from age, sexual preference, ect. This question was a trick and I got a very similar one (how would I make health care more affordable...which got turned into "you wont RAISE MY taxes will you)? The trick is called tact, give your answer but toe the line. What they are looking for is someone to fly off the handle and give some outlandish response and then to get defensive when they fire back. You shouldn't have taken it personally, its all part of this weeding our process. An answer to that question would have been, "Well, I am not a political person or the head of the government, so I can't really make a decision on that. If I had to give an opinion, I guess I would say I think it is best for them to decide. Which, of course, is harder than it sounds..." That way you didn't step on anyones toes, you didn't say BUSH SUCKS (which of course he does) and you didn't fly off the handle. This is how I got out of the question posed to me. I wish you luck and I am sorry you didn't like DMU, but every school does those questions.

This is true. My interviewer at KCOM spent a few minutes discussing the "idiotic" politics of Illinois. I just nodded and smiled. This interviewer was opinionated for sure, and I felt a little uncomfortable, but I still really enjoyed our conversation. I really liked KCOM and in the process of choosing between KCOM and KCUMB.

Sorry its taken me so long to reply, but I just wanted to apologize, the way you worded your statement, I just assumed you were not yet a student. I appreciate your input, and in saying what I said, I did not want to attack you, but just make sure we stayed on subject. Again, I'm sorry, hope that biochem test went well.

Didn't mean for that come off as harsh, I just didn't have long to respond but didn't want people to assume that DMU forces you to answer political questions. All I meant by my first post on here was that, in the end, the best school is the one that fits you best. Many people will tout the community and the enviornment that the school itself offers. You will find, however, that after a few months, the only environment you see is where you study and where you take your tests. I spend most of my time at home studying and the only part of the great city of Des Moines I get to see is the part that I run through when I am not too busy; that and the rare bar trips we get!

1. I was never asked an intimidating question like that at KCOM.

2. "useable" technology. Human Patient Simulators, smart boards, and other crap like that will be used maybe once a quarter. There are technologies at KCOM that I guarantee no other med school in the country is using (because I helped implement them here). These technologies aid students on a daily basis.

There are around 60 of us at school that use tablet PC's are our sole use of notetaking because the school set technology up for us at our request. For example, my digital notes (handwritten) has a little mp3 icon next to each line of handwriting. Upon pressing the mp3 icon, the lecture recording is played back to me, at that very instant in the lecture that I wrote on the powerpoint handout on my tablet. So, if I don't understand why I wrote something, I can just listen for about 10 seconds and then I hear what the professor had to say. It is an amazing technology that we have worked with the school very hard on--we are quite proud of it. I don't have time to talk about it all--I could fill novels about what we did to get it working.

3. Student collaboration is second to none--we share all of our notes (tablet pcs make it SOOO easy) and study guides with each other. Don't believe me? check out our google groups:

2009 Tablet users
2010 Tablet users

The school is hosting a handheld/tablet forum tomorrow where the students that are experts in these areas will share their techniques to help out other students that want to try the technologies out. Just another show to the commitment that they have to technology as well as the student's willingness to serve each other.

good luck on your choice...go to my blog and contact me via the "contact us" link if you have questions.

1. I was never asked an intimidating question like that at KCOM.

2. "useable" technology. Human Patient Simulators, smart boards, and other crap like that will be used maybe once a quarter. There are technologies at KCOM that I guarantee no other med school in the country is using (because I helped implement them here). These technologies aid students on a daily basis.

There are around 60 of us at school that use tablet PC's are our sole use of notetaking because the school set technology up for us at our request. For example, my digital notes (handwritten) has a little mp3 icon next to each line of handwriting. Upon pressing the mp3 icon, the lecture recording is played back to me, at that very instant in the lecture that I wrote on the powerpoint handout on my tablet. So, if I don't understand why I wrote something, I can just listen for about 10 seconds and then I hear what the professor had to say. It is an amazing technology that we have worked with the school very hard on--we are quite proud of it. I don't have time to talk about it all--I could fill novels about what we did to get it working.

3. Student collaboration is second to none--we share all of our notes (tablet pcs make it SOOO easy) and study guides with each other. Don't believe me? check out our google groups:

2009 Tablet users
2010 Tablet users

The school is hosting a handheld/tablet forum tomorrow where the students that are experts in these areas will share their techniques to help out other students that want to try the technologies out. Just another show to the commitment that they have to technology as well as the student's willingness to serve each other.

good luck on your choice...go to my blog and contact me via the "contact us" link if you have questions.

WTH???

And DMU doesn't have any of this?? :confused: :confused:

WTH???

And DMU doesn't have any of this?? :confused: :confused:

Did I say that? NO. The only technology I guarantee you you don't have is the method of live syncing of audio notes during lecture that every student can use (the tablet mic can do this, but, it is terrible quality).

I have nothing against DMU. I'm just showing what we do (you may do the same).

Many have posted positive things about their school without degrading the other--which is what I did.

I didn't mean to offend you. Have a nice evening...

Looking back at my post, I figured where the misunderstanding occurred. I am saying that SIM and smart boards are really just lip service to incoming students. Few people actually use the smartboards because tablets work better and the SIM are so expensive, that an administrator must be there to run the experience, so you get in like once-twice a quarter. Most schools have these technologies

The technology I'm talking about is the audio syncing with your handwritten notes. There are some cool things that we have done to make this feasible. We are going to present this at the AACOM (or whatever they are called) dean's convention. The product manager from Microsoft got in touch with me because of novel way we get the audio to the students during class (radio transmission). They want to send the marketing team out to KCOM to showcase what we do on microsoft's website. I'll post some blogs about it over Christmas Break--I'll make some shining glowing post about it, so that people can't miss it.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

Looking back at my post, I figured where the misunderstanding occurred. I am saying that SIM and smart boards are really just lip service to incoming students. Few people actually use the smartboards because tablets work better and the SIM are so expensive, that an administrator must be there to run the experience, so you get in like once-twice a quarter. Most schools have these technologies

The technology I'm talking about is the audio syncing with your handwritten notes. There are some cool things that we have done to make this feasible. We are going to present this at the AACOM (or whatever they are called) dean's convention. The product manager from Microsoft got in touch with me because of novel way we get the audio to the students during class (radio transmission). They want to send the marketing team out to KCOM to showcase what we do on microsoft's website. I'll post some blogs about it over Christmas Break--I'll make some shining glowing post about it, so that people can't miss it.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks so much, 1viking! I appreciate your responses.

I heard this method (tablets, etc) mentioned by one of the Ambassadors on our tour, but did not get the time to ask the details of what she was talking about.

I'd love to hear more about how it works.