DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am at DMU unless I get pulled off the waitlist for TCOM....they are both great schools, but TCOM is a little more affordable! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I was just there on Feb 13th. Really liked the school.
Hope I get in.

Anyone else interview that day?

I interviewed 1/30 and got the call last Friday (2/13). I'm in! Yeah!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't decided...I also got accepted to SOMA the same day (Friday the 13th!), so I'm trying to make the big decision!

congrats gogreen I guess friday the 13th is lucky for some people! :luck: Good luck with your decision but hopefully we will see you at DMU!

There was a post a while back about general rotation sites (states of placement for 3rd year) and someone said they were going to try and find more detailed information. Did anyone ever find this?
(I'm playing the pick-a-school game...)
Thanks!

There was a post a while back about general rotation sites (states of placement for 3rd year) and someone said they were going to try and find more detailed information. Did anyone ever find this?
Thanks!

I don't remember the exact locations but I remember that the locations were the down fall of the school... at least I thought. Other schools I have interviewed at you stay in the state and around the location of the school. At DMU some of the loctations were in Ohio, Des Moines, Missouri, Wyoming and some other locations in the mid west. The other bad part is the hospital they participate with in Des Moines is not a trama I.

I don't remember the exact locations but I remember that the locations were the down fall of the school... at least I thought. Other schools I have interviewed at you stay in the state and around the location of the school. At DMU some of the loctations were in Ohio, Des Moines, Missouri, Wyoming and some other locations in the mid west. The other bad part is the hospital they participate with in Des Moines is not a trama I.

Wow, lots of misinformation here.
DMU does have some rotation sites in other states, however, these are being cut back each year. ~125 students in my class are staying in Des Moines. ~35 are going to Ohio (by choice). 6 are going to St Louis (by choice). 6 are going to Wyoming (by choice). 4 are going to Minnesota (by choice). ~15 are going to Michigan (most by choice). The rest are in other Iowa sites.
By the time you would do rotations, the vast majority of your class would be in Iowa.
Also, Mercy Hospital, the big hospital we rotate at, IS in fact being bumped up to level I trauma. They were level II, but the neurosurg group decided to move over to Mercy. Furthermore, we don't have a lot of trauma in Des Moines, which is why we provide rotations at Sinai Grace/Detroit Medical Center (inner city Detroit) for those who want that experience (e.g. knife/gun club). You can also go to Toledo or Columbus hospitals, both level I.

which is why we provide rotations at Sinai Grace/Detroit Medical Center (inner city Detroit) for those who want that experience (e.g. knife/gun club).

:laugh::laugh: very true, I am from a suburb of Detroit....if you want some serious trauma, rotate in Detroit.

Thanks!

Thanks for reminding me. I haven't checked this thread in awhile. I did get a list of rotation clinics/hospitals for 3rd year from a current DMU student. If anyone would like to see the list, just PM me.

I interviewed 1/30 and got the call last Friday (2/13). I'm in! Yeah!!

Hey GoGreen, did DMU actually call you? When I interviewed, they told us they would send out an email (at least, I think that's what they told us).

Good luck making a decision by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, lots of misinformation here.
DMU does have some rotation sites in other states, however, these are being cut back each year. ~125 students in my class are staying in Des Moines. ~35 are going to Ohio (by choice). 6 are going to St Louis (by choice). 6 are going to Wyoming (by choice). 4 are going to Minnesota (by choice). ~15 are going to Michigan (most by choice). The rest are in other Iowa sites.
By the time you would do rotations, the vast majority of your class would be in Iowa.
Also, Mercy Hospital, the big hospital we rotate at, IS in fact being bumped up to level I trauma. They were level II, but the neurosurg group decided to move over to Mercy. Furthermore, we don't have a lot of trauma in Des Moines, which is why we provide rotations at Sinai Grace/Detroit Medical Center (inner city Detroit) for those who want that experience (e.g. knife/gun club). You can also go to Toledo or Columbus hospitals, both level I.

My information about not having a Trauma I in Des Moines was told to me by the doctor who interviewed me. We discussed my experiences working in the ER and he told me it was a shame that the closest Trauma I in the state was in Iowa City.

The Mercy Medical Center website says it is a Trauma Level II:

http://www.mercydesmoines.org/emergency/trauma.cfm

If something has changed that would be great.

With that said, it makes me very happy to know that they have a more opportunities to be in trauma situations with both a trauma I and being able to go to Detroit. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
My information about not having a Trauma I in Des Moines was told to me by the doctor who interviewed me. We discussed my experiences working in the ER and he told me it was a shame that the closest Trauma I in the state was in Iowa City.

The Mercy Medical Center website says it is a Trauma Level II:

http://www.mercydesmoines.org/emergency/trauma.cfm

If something has changed that would be great.

With that said, it makes me very happy to know that they have a more opportunities to be in trauma situations with both a trauma I and being able to go to Detroit. Thanks for the clarification.

There is a level I in Des Moines - Methodist (Iowa Health). Mercy needs the neurosurg group to finish moving over to Mercy before it can be reassessed for level I.

Also, the link to the sites conversation above only lists a sampling of sites.

There is a level I in Des Moines - Methodist (Iowa Health). Mercy needs the neurosurg group to finish moving over to Mercy before it can be reassessed for level I.

Do you know if it is possible as a student to rotate at Methodist or is it just Mercy within Des Moines?

Yeah I figured, and had some questions on that. How do the students choose what is the best rotation (if other factors like family, location, funds are not significant i.e. you just want a good educational site)? I am guessing we will get a lot more specific information on each site and feedback from other students/faculty?

Hey GoGreen, did DMU actually call you? When I interviewed, they told us they would send out an email (at least, I think that's what they told us).

Good luck making a decision by the way.

Hey Spooner 13--Nope, I didn't get a call. Long story short, they might have called, but if they did I didn't get a message. I got an email.

Thanks for the well wishes--I need them, big time!! I have a week to figure it out and I'm not sure yet!!

Yeah I figured, and had some questions on that. How do the students choose what is the best rotation (if other factors like family, location, funds are not significant i.e. you just want a good educational site)? I am guessing we will get a lot more specific information on each site and feedback from other students/faculty?

Most students choose based on location b/c of family, friends, etc... A lot, though, will try and pick which sites have the "best" rotations. The process, in the end, is a lottery system, so there are always a small group of disappointed people who don't get their first choice.
In deciding on which place to go, clinical affairs maintains a database of student evals of all of the sites. You get access to this during second year. A lot of rotations is what you make it, so the nit picky people who search the database endlessly are really wasting time. If you're not getting a good experience on rotations, clinical affairs fixes it very quickly. The last thing they want is someone not getting a good clinical education.
Another point about DMU, is the fact that we have a very active clinical affairs department. They set up all of your rotations for you, even fourth year electives. All you have to do is tell them where you want to go and they do all of the leg work.

Hey Spooner 13--Nope, I didn't get a call. Long story short, they might have called, but if they did I didn't get a message. I got an email.

Thanks for the well wishes--I need them, big time!! I have a week to figure it out and I'm not sure yet!!

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you have an intense week coming up.

I have an interview at DMU on March 6th. Is there a student I could stay with the night of the 5th? Thanks!

Hello everyone! I plan on living at the 3000 Grand apartment complex right next door to campus and am looking for a female D.O. roommate. I just got off the phone with the apartment complex and they said that there is a waitlist for 2 bedroom/2 bath apartments and that I should find a roommate and fill out an application ASAP. If you might be interested please msg me for details...or if you already have an apartment within walking distance of the campus and need a roommate I am interested too! Thanks so much and hope to hear from somebody soon!!

Anyone receive a scholarship offer from DMU yet?

I am facing a tough decision right now. Both of my state medical schools accepted me and I am going to have to make a decision in the next month.

I already put down the deposit for DMU, but right now, I am feeling the pressure of both my state schools trying to keep me in-state.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Hey everyone,

I am a member of the class of 2013 and I was wondering if anyone is interested in helping me jumpstart a critical care medicine club at DMU this fall. I currently work for the critical care department as a research assistant and I think that CCM is a great field of medicine. How do you go about starting a club at DMU. I know as a first year I will be with coursework but I already know I want to do CCM so I think it would be fun to start a educational club on CCM.

Input?

Thanks,
Mike

Just got the decision. Waitlist :(

Best of luck to everyone else!

Hey everyone,

I am a member of the class of 2013 and I was wondering if anyone is interested in helping me jumpstart a critical care medicine club at DMU this fall. I currently work for the critical care department as a research assistant and I think that CCM is a great field of medicine. How do you go about starting a club at DMU. I know as a first year I will be with coursework but I already know I want to do CCM so I think it would be fun to start a educational club on CCM.

Input?

Thanks,
Mike

CCM falls under the IM club. My advice is to be active in IM club from the start, then you can make connections in CCM, shadow, bring CCM docs in as speakers, etc... IM specialty dinner always has a Pulm/CC doc available too.

I declined my acceptance today @ 8:30 and DMU opened up the slot at 9:30....I hope that you got it!!!

:luck::xf::luck:

Thanks, but I think I am going to withdraw my app.
Nothing against DMU, I really liked the school, but I just got into one closer to home (and cheaper). So looks like that's where I will be in the fall. So I want to free up that spot for someone that's waiting for it.
It would be awesome if it went to a SDN'er.

Just thought I'd let those on the alternate list know that I'm going to withdraw my application on Monday or Tuesday of this coming week. Hopefully ( :luck: ) it gives you all a better chance of getting in. As for me, I'll be going to the institution that believes in me from the start :)

Good luck to you all!

I also got my waitlist decision Friday morning and would love to attend DMU, keeping my fingers crossed in the next couple weeks/months I guess.

Anyone receive a scholarship offer from DMU yet?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I just called DMU to clarify a few things. They told me all scholarship offers have already been put out and accepted. :( sadness.

anybody know about the quality of rotations in just iowa?? Isn't iowa mostly rural?? (i saw the discussion about trauma II vs. trama I hospitals) but what about the rest of the state?

thanx.

I just called DMU to clarify a few things. They told me all scholarship offers have already been put out and accepted. :( sadness.

anybody know about the quality of rotations in just iowa?? Isn't iowa mostly rural?? (i saw the discussion about trauma II vs. trama I hospitals) but what about the rest of the state?

thanx.

Well, then I might end up going to my state school who has already made me an offer then. I am going to see if I hear back from DMU in that regards. I already called them.

By the way, DeBlackRose, what are your stats? You can PM me if you would like and I will respond to you quicker that way.

Hey everyone, I was accepted on Friday! I'm still really excited! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear. I hope all of the SDNers get in.

Anybody know anything about 3000 Grand or Grand Terrace apartments? They're so close but are they the typical university crap apts or are they actually decent?

Thanks!

does anyone know if we should get a certain cell phone or pda for your first year of med school, or if we need one at all? I have a few friends going to other schools and they are required to get specific ones. Thanks!

Did it take anyone more than two weeks to hear back after your interview?

yep! it took exactly three weeks after my interview....so don't sweat it. Good luck!! :thumbup:

I will try. At my interview, the admissions director said they had 201 deposits paid (that was 15 days ago). I do not really like my odds at this point. Thanks megan for the well wishes!

I will try. At my interview, the admissions director said they had 201 deposits paid (that was 15 days ago). I do not really like my odds at this point. Thanks megan for the well wishes!

I will most likely be withdrawing within the next week, and I did pay the deposit- so don't give up hope! DMU is a great school- for me it was just a matter of less expensive and having more family members close by for my husband and kids.

Best wishes to everyone!

For me, it was three weeks and a day. I hope you hear good news soon. My guess is that some of those people that have paid their deposit will withdraw soon. So I think you still have a chance.

I cancelled my interview and withdrew my application couple weeks ago. I hope someone get this potential spot. Good Luck!

I finally got round to withdrawing from DMU today. I put it off because it's so hard to leave nice places, especially when you've already put down a deposit!:scared:

So I wanted to let everyone know there's another spot open. Enjoy!

I wanted to let you all know that I officially withdrew my acceptance today, and I was one of those who had already paid the deposit. DMU is an amazing place, and it was hard to give up! Good luck to those crossing their fingers for a spot...maybe you'll get some good news today! :luck:

Hello,

I am on the waiting list at DMU and very interested in attending. Does anybody know how the list works? When do they start informing people of movement?

Thanks!

I was waitlisted back in December. At the time I needed to decide whether to hang on for a decision or accept a teaching job (I'm a PA). I called and was told that the waitlist doesn't even get ranked until mid-April and I probably wouldn't hear yay/nay until May. I decided to take the teaching job and I'm glad I did--I'm having a great time--but the med school fires still smolder, so I'm really curious to hear about the waitlist.

I don't anticipate much waitlist movement as historically (past few years anyway) very few people are pulled off the waitlist for DMU...probably your best option is to call and ask.

Good luck!

Hello,

I am on the waiting list at DMU and very interested in attending. Does anybody know how the list works? When do they start informing people of movement?

Thanks!

does anyone know if we should get a certain cell phone or pda for your first year of med school, or if we need one at all? I have a few friends going to other schools and they are required to get specific ones. Thanks!

You don't need to have a cell phone/pda the first year. They will give you a tablet laptop and all of your scheduling will be on there with Microsoft Outlook. You keep the laptop all 4 years. At the start of your 2nd year DMU will issue you a pda with windows mobile (that is their practice now at least). This will be for your use in clinic.

Getting a smart phone/ pda now isn't necessary but it might be fun. If you do get a smart phone make sure it's touch screen. (some wm and blackberry devices are not).

Hi,
I will be going to DMU. Are you guys working on the health exam form? I just noticed it on the portal and it says it is due before June 28th...

Hi,
I will be going to DMU. Are you guys working on the health exam form? I just noticed it on the portal and it says it is due before June 28th...

wow..glad you said that...Im gonna go to the portal and check the deadlines for stuff now! :rolleyes:

wow..glad you said that...Im gonna go to the portal and check the deadlines for stuff now! :rolleyes:
Well, it's actually under the student health tab. I will call them tomorrow to make sure.

Hey all. Curious as to how everyone is doing with the preparations! Has everyone laid down a deposit for apartments/housing yet? I think I am going to live in a studio/1 bedroom for the first semester/year, and am driving from WA to DMU in June to secure a place. I was thinking of purchasing a house (it is so cheap in DM), but too many variables I concluded I don't want to spend time on. I am so excited for school. Those of us on here/facebook should get together in early Aug. before orientation starts sometime.